Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry places first in MT comparo (grabs popcorn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 04:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still want to see sonata limited vs the world. SE is a sporty ride, but it's more vocal(from exhaust) with more road noise(mostly from tire) than both GLS and limited. i think wind noise is similar. If they prefer camry like ride, then limited would've been a better candidate.

About sonata's road noise -

InsideLine.com - Direct-injected fours are notoriously vocal, and this one is no exception. Dip into the throttle and the smooth four moves the Sonata with authority while delivering prominent engine noise. It's something you only notice when you give it the boot, as the Sonata is otherwise a remarkably quiet car.

Marketwatch- At speed, the Sonata is a very quiet ride for its price range, with moderate road noise coming through on a rather rough concrete freeway surface. The ride is neither too hard nor too soft for this type of car with good feedback through the wheel. That was especially helpful through the many hairpin turns down the Cuyamaca Mountains.

AOL Autos - While the 4-cylinder's power didn't let us down, some of its road noise coming up to speed did give us pause. As you'd expect from a four-cylinder engine carrying around a one-and-a-half-ton automobile, you pick up a slight buzzing sound. In contrast to the smoothest V-6 engines of the segment (the Honda Accord and Ford Fusion are our favorites for V-6s), any 4-cylinder will let you know it's hard at work. In contrast to the other 4-cylinders we've driven within this group, it's quiet. In fact, what we picked up wasn't even audible to our co-driver. This is something to keep in mind if you're truly looking for the tradeoffs associated with opting out of the V-6.

Ride and handling in the new Sonata is very good. One car in this segment that never gets enough accolades is the Mazda 6 sedan and we found ourselves comparing this Sonata to that car throughout the day. This is high praise for Hyundai. While steering response isn't quite as quick as the Mazda, it's still better than most of what you'll find at this price (or a good deal more). Hyundai's trim lines give buyers the opportunity to choose a more robust suspension package (the "SE" model) that further proves out the experience.

Post Gazette - The Sonata rides very well, though, with a light touch to its damping, lower road noise, and on SE versions, monotube shocks that seem to snuff out body roll without costing the Sonata too much compliance. Also - this is a new review - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041138-185.stm

Consumer Auto Guide -
On roads in southern California, Sonata demonstrated a good balance of comfort and control. Bumps were taken in stride with no hint of harshness. We noticed little difference in ride quality between the GLS model's 16-inch tires, and the 18-inch rubber on SE. Sonata is a competent and confident midsize sedan in every day driving. Slightly more aggressive moves on twisting roads are handled with little drama. Braking is strong with good pedal feel. Wind-noise suppression is good. The 4-cylinder engine isn't quite as refined as the best in this class, but it is generally smooth and quiets down nicely at cruise. The 16-inch tires on the GLS are noticeably quieter than the more aggressive rubber on the SE.

Autoblog - Power delivery of the 200-hp four is smooth, but the engine sang in a typical four-pot key (read: not so pleasant). The low rolling resistance tires did make a bit of a racket, but it was only evident because wind noise is surprisingly low, even on the highway.
Old 03-20-10, 04:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^, yes Autoblog says it best:

"Power delivery of the 200-hp four is smooth, but the engine sang in a typical four-pot key (read: not so pleasant)."
Old 03-20-10, 04:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV

"Power delivery of the 200-hp four is smooth, but the engine sang in a typical four-pot key (read: not so pleasant)."
Needs an optional V-6 when everyone offers one.

Old 03-20-10, 06:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I saw a new sonata yesterday. I really liked the car when I saw the pictures. Unfortunately, same can't be say in real life. It looked meh and the engine sounded rough.
Old 03-20-10, 08:39 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

turbo and hybrid will make up for it. it's only 10% anyway.

and most importantly not having v6 on sonata will help Azera's sale especially when they redesign it. i'm hoping they design similar to the iflow concept, but just tone it down a little.
Old 03-20-10, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Generally my thoughts when I drove it. It has the power of what V6s offered not long ago, and a smooth, fairly quiet idle, but definitely lacks refinement under acceleration. The noise, though, seemed to come more from the exhaust rather than the engine itself.
Old 03-25-10, 12:13 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

internet votes as of 3/25/2010

Chevrolet Malibu
18%(41188 votes)

Ford Fusion
27%(63153 votes)

Honda Accord
10%(23506 votes)

Hyundai Sonata
28%(63972 votes)

Nissan Altima
10%(23576 votes)

Subaru Legacy
0%(1072 votes)

Toyota Camry
6%(14572 votes)

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0jDWM0c2p
Old 03-25-10, 12:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
internet votes as of 3/25/2010

Chevrolet Malibu
18%(41188 votes)

Ford Fusion
27%(63153 votes)

Honda Accord
10%(23506 votes)

Hyundai Sonata
28%(63972 votes)

Nissan Altima
10%(23576 votes)

Subaru Legacy
0%(1072 votes)

Toyota Camry
6%(14572 votes)

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0jDWM0c2p
Who cares? Toyota/Lexus is one of the most successful brands in reality that is just despised on the internet by trolls.

Did anyone honestly think the Camry would win any poll?

Old 03-25-10, 12:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Who cares? Toyota/Lexus is one of the most successful brands in reality that is just despised on the internet by trolls.

Obviously these "voters" aren't actual family sedan "buyers".
Old 03-25-10, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yep, another internet poll of people with nothing better to do, who cares.......
Old 03-25-10, 01:06 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i thought u meant "Manual Transmission" lol
Old 03-25-10, 01:19 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I care.

the days of camry/accord 2 horse races are long gone IMO.
and No, Camry and Accord used to win these votes. I understand Camry not getting many votes because of the recall incident, but what about Accord? Accord used to be people's favorite. Accord would've finished in top 3 in almost all major comparisons including people's votes. Accord was 3series of Midsized sedan.

Ford's relentless pursuit is borderline miraculous. not only people think Fusion is better, but sales number is showing that Ford will sell alot of Fusion. I see Fusion becoming a major volume seller like Taurus once was. I think Fusion might outsell Camry this year. i don't think it will become the #1 seller yet, but i think Fusion now has a punchers chance.

and you can't just ignore the popularity of Sonata. i think Sonata will one day be up there with those 3 in sales number. probably not by 2015 though. Sonata needs to have another plant or have Montgomery plant building 300k sonata a year. Hyundai doesn't have the capacity to build 300k Sonata yet. that's the only reason sonata won't crack top 12 this year IMO.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
200k is significant number of votes. you go around any other forums and majority of people rank Sonata and Fusion as top 2 midsize sedan currently.

Last edited by joe80; 03-25-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 09:04 PM
LexFather

I care.

the days of camry/accord 2 horse races are long gone IMO.
and No, Camry and Accord used to win these votes. I understand Camry not getting many votes because of the recall incident, but what about Accord? Accord used to be people's favorite. Accord would've finished in top 3 in almost all major comparisons including people's votes. Accord was 3series of Midsized sedan.

Ford's relentless pursuit is borderline miraculous. not only people think Fusion is better, but sales number is showing that Ford will sell alot of Fusion. I see Fusion becoming a major volume seller like Taurus once was. I think Fusion might outsell Camry this year. i don't think it will become the #1 seller yet, but i think Fusion now has a punchers chance.

and you can't just ignore the popularity of Sonata. i think Sonata will one day be up there with those 3 in sales number. probably not by 2015 though. Sonata needs to have another plant or have Montgomery plant building 300k sonata a year. Hyundai doesn't have the capacity to build 300k Sonata yet. that's the only reason sonata won't crack top 12 this year IMO.

200k is significant number of votes. you go around any other forums and majority of people rank Sonata and Fusion as top 2 midsize sedan currently.
It is an open internet poll. Again WHO CARES. If you take 2 minutes to read the comments they were the same thing I read everywhere
-bah toyota is boring
-toyota sucks
-toyota can't stop itself
-how ugly

And the car continues to kick all their asses.

The competition is great for consumers, they win.

The Sonata has no V-6 option, no coupe, no wagon and just now will get a hybrid. It wont' be in the top 3 in sales. It needs more configurations.

Not to mention VW is building a plant here to get their piece of the pie.

Old 03-25-10, 09:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Because it's Toyota. Camry has the brand reputation and many loyal followers. Camry will always be the top 3 sellers no matter what. but my point is that camry and accord are no longer 80's lakers and celtics. those 2 dominated the midsize market.

but I really do believe that you can't dominate the market by the reputation alone. the product has be to clearly superior. if it isn't, sooner or later people will pick and choose. it's good to have choices. Camry is a great choice for people who wants a quiet ride with unoffensive design. but is it a superior car? no. right now, the only edge that toyota has on other brands is the impeccable reliability reputation which by the way has been somewhat damaged by the witchhunt thanks to goverment motor medias.

As of today, it's a 3 horse race. you got to put Fusion up there with camry and accord right now. Fusion has arrived. i think Accord will be #1, fusion and camry will fight for #2 spot. but i won't be surprised if Camry keeps its champion belt either.

also, sonata has all the intangibles to become one of the top sellers. Hyundai brand image is holding it back. but the bad rep will be expire sooner or later. even without v6, 10-15% of sales will be turbo and hybrid. not having coupe does hurt, so i don't see sonata being top 3 anytime soon.
Old 03-25-10, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Because it's Toyota. Camry has the brand reputation and many loyal followers. Camry will always be the top 3 sellers no matter what. but my point is that camry and accord are no longer 80's lakers and celtics. those 2 dominated the midsize market.

but I really do believe that you can't dominate the market by the reputation alone. the product has be to clearly superior. if it isn't, sooner or later people will pick and choose. it's good to have choices. Camry is a great choice for people who wants a quiet ride with unoffensive design. but is it a superior car? no. right now, the only edge that toyota has on other brands is the impeccable reliability reputation which by the way has been somewhat damaged by the witchhunt thanks to goverment motor medias.

As of today, it's a 3 horse race. you got to put Fusion up there with camry and accord right now. Fusion has arrived. i think Accord will be #1, fusion and camry will fight for #2 spot. but i won't be surprised if Camry keeps its champion belt either.

also, sonata has all the intangibles to become one of the top sellers. Hyundai brand image is holding it back. but the bad rep will be expire sooner or later. even without v6, 10-15% of sales will be turbo and hybrid. not having coupe does hurt, so i don't see sonata being top 3 anytime soon.
You are helping my point. The Camry is a great car and that internet poll is meaningless anti-Toyota drivel I see all the time.

Again I was shocked the Camry was #1 and it doesn't change my opinion that these mags stink

Quick Reply: Camry places first in MT comparo (grabs popcorn)