Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good news, bad news.... "bullet-proof" Sonata breaks down

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 11:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news, bad news.... "bullet-proof" Sonata breaks down

It was bound to happen, but the Sonata (2009 Limited V-6) lost all power on the drive to Chicago this morning... limped the 40 miles (at 22mph) I had to go to get back to the dealer.

Good news-
-only 40 miles to back track, could have happened in downtown Chicago, or yesterday while house-hunting with the family out on country roads
-limp-mode saves the engine in emergencies
- 1hr 10 mins to repair no cost

Bad news-
-it was a bad throttle sensors that went cruising at 74 mph with 22,076 miles on the car... wtf??? This cripples the car???
-Road side was 2+ hour wait... what if it was undriveable in -5 degree WI winter????
- Had to go back not even 10 minutes after leaving to readjust the idle after the software update
- Knowing (from personal experience) how cars suddenly develop reoccuring issues- what's next?

Will this FINALLY spurn me on to get that damn new car???
Old 03-15-10, 11:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
It was bound to happen, but the Sonata (2009 Limited V-6) lost all power on the drive to Chicago this morning... limped the 40 miles (at 22mph) I had to go to get back to the dealer.

Good news-
-only 40 miles to back track, could have happened in downtown Chicago, or yesterday while house-hunting with the family out on country roads
-limp-mode saves the engine in emergencies
- 1hr 10 mins to repair no cost

Bad news-
-it was a bad throttle sensors that went cruising at 74 mph with 22,076 miles on the car... wtf??? This cripples the car???
-Road side was 2+ hour wait... what if it was undriveable in -5 degree WI winter????
- Knowing (from personal experience) how cars suddenly develop reoccuring issues- what's next?

Will this FINALLY spurn me on to get that damn new car???
Into one of your three vehicles you posted you were interested in...the Genesis?
Old 03-15-10, 11:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It happens. My GS has had 3 throttle position sensors replaced so far. All of them died on the highway, but at least it was able to limp itself home. Just be grateful you have warranty.
Old 03-15-10, 12:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always good to hear from actual owners with first hand report. But sorry about the inconvenience.

Stay spurned in the search!
Old 03-15-10, 01:19 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Into one of your three vehicles you posted you were interested in...the Genesis?
Sales Manager sees me, walks up and says, "Hey Russ!!! Ready to get either the new Sonata or that Genesis?"

I said, "Dude, now is NOT the time to be talking about a new Hyundai..... especially since the meeting I am missing directly affects my purchase..."

He wisely ambled away with a "It's never a good time to have a car break down"... I heard that FOUR tiimes while I was there... obviously WELL REHEARSED!!!
Old 03-15-10, 01:21 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
.... Just be grateful you have warranty.
AMEN!!!
Old 03-15-10, 01:25 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but now IS the right time to ditch that POS Hyundai
Old 03-15-10, 01:41 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lex
but now IS the right time to ditch that POS Hyundai
Gotta say... right there with ya brother!!! Standed once is one too many times!!!
Old 03-15-10, 01:41 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Everything happens for a reason, and stop with all the what ifs no one died your alive, put a smile on your face and get back on track
Old 03-15-10, 01:43 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Everything happens for a reason, and stop with all the what ifs no one died your alive, put a smile on your face and get back on track
Believe me.... I KNOW it coulda been worse... just being testing by the Big Guy
Old 03-15-10, 02:49 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC, Hyundai contracts their roadside assistance through Cross Country Motor Club - the same guys who also have contracts with Geico/Ameriprise/Chrysler.

And with newer cars with DBW throttle and traction control, fail-safe is a given since there is no mechanical link to the throttle butterfly and the ECM cannot "gauge" how far the butterfly is opened - older cars with cable throttle can use MAF or MAP as a fail-safe if the TPS goes bad.
Old 03-15-10, 04:22 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
It happens. My GS has had 3 throttle position sensors replaced so far. All of them died on the highway, but at least it was able to limp itself home. Just be grateful you have warranty.
When you say limp home, how exactly do you mean?
Old 03-15-10, 04:56 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

that sucks. but it's better than a blown tranny on my acura cls. it happened to me an hour before my final exam. i stayed up 3 nights for that test. i did get a make up test though.

my worst ever stranded moment was driving with no engine oil on my vauxhall Carton 5 years ago. engine blew, and car got caught fire in the middle of london. there was no oil in the car!
Old 03-15-10, 05:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

so no more hyundai for you? i can understand that.. I promised myself that i'll never buy VW after driving 99 jetta.. but strangely i bought another acura after 2 blown trannies on cls.
Old 03-15-10, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
When you say limp home, how exactly do you mean?
The Limp-Mode, with most modern torque-converter automatics, usually means a locked second-gear, with no shifting. That generally allows stops/starts and relatively slow travel to the nearest repair shop....though starting in second gear can put some strain on the engine, especially starting on an uphill. This 2nd-gear limp-mode, of course, is not possible on non-torque converter automatics and automanuals like SMTs and DSGs, because they have no torque converter that allows internal slippage at a stop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-10 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Good news, bad news.... "bullet-proof" Sonata breaks down