Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on the Mazda 6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 06:29 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 94 626 I-4 manual that ran with no problems for me for 3 yrs. and 90+K miles when I traded it.

My son had an I-4, manual, 08 Mazda6. Unfortunately it had rod knock at about 30K miles that they fixed under warranty. It also had pulsing brakes. Otherwise, he really liked the car. You can tell her the car is made in Flat Rock, MI.

My neighbor has a Mazda3 with the same engine. It uses oil and has suspension problems. It's the first Japanese car he's ever owned that uses oil - and he's owned a bunch of Hondas and Toyotas.

IMO, Mazda quality is spotty these days. I would suggest you help her work a great deal on a new Toyota. It's great buying time for a new Toyota. Aside from that, I would have her look again at the Fusion and Hyundai.
Old 03-15-10, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
My son had an I-4, manual, 08 Mazda6. Unfortunately it had rod knock at about 30K miles that they fixed under warranty. It also had pulsing brakes. Otherwise, he really liked the car. You can tell her the car is made in Flat Rock, MI.

If you are talking about simple brake-pedal shimmy from warped rotors, you can't necessarily blame that on the Flat Rock plant.....that is a very common problem. Many factors affect rotor warpage (though it is primarily from heat buildup), and it can happen to any steel-rotored car, anywhere, from any plant....one reason why Porsche developed ceramic rotors.

My neighbor has a Mazda3 with the same engine. It uses oil and has suspension problems. It's the first Japanese car he's ever owned that uses oil - and he's owned a bunch of Hondas and Toyotas.
Apparantly he never owned an RX-rotary-engined Mazda. There's some REAL oil use.

IMO, Mazda quality is spotty these days. I would suggest you help her work a great deal on a new Toyota. It's great buying time for a new Toyota.
With all due respect, how about waiting to see if Toyota finds any actual electronic problems in the throttle-by-wire systems?........and not just carpet-mats or anti-moisture plates. Saving a couple of $$$$ on a new Toyota, IMO, means nothing if she is (maybe) going to have to deal with a potential driving emergency.

Aside from that, I would have her look again at the Fusion and Hyundai.
Yes, the Sonata is a good suggestion..............and I agree that the Fusion is also a good car, but she has already looked at it and says she doesn't like it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 06:56 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mazda 6 is a good car. It has been million mile tested by mazda engineers in all types of conditions, has a five star crash test rating and comes with many features standard that are optional on competiors like the camry. I really think it is a great value and fun to drive.
Old 03-15-10, 06:58 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Thanks for all the replies.

She did end up buying the Mazda 6 with the 4 banger and the automatic. She liked the V6, but it was out of her price range, and she insisted on new insteD of used.

For the most part, she had her mind made up on the first test drive. Something about the car jus "called" to her. She did manage to get the dealer down from $24k to $21.5k.

Not the car I would have chosen, but then again, not my money. She did take my advice at least, when the salesman had the hook in her (he was hard-selling big time). I made her get up, walk out of the dealership, go down the street and drive something else, get lunch, etc.. So she could look at the car, and the deal, without emotion. At least she signed the paperwork with a level head.
Old 03-15-10, 07:05 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's more the case with the rotary-engined Mazdas, which have always drunk both gas and oil, than with the conventional piston-engined ones.

Maybe. Depends on the gearing, transmission design, and final-drive ratio. Mazdas, in general, tend to be somewhat sport-oriented. That (sometimes) means short (high-RPM) gearing, close-ratio spreads, and a short final-drive ratio.......all else equal, forumulas for power rather than economy. It means more engine RPMs (and more fuel use) in any given gear range.

i guess they chose performance over fuel economy.

i think most of mazda is below average in fuel economy. mazda 3 6spd gets 21/29 which isn't bad, but more and more newer cars will have over 35mpg highway. mazda better get this right next time because i think the battlefield will be the fuel economy in the future.
Old 03-15-10, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaseman
Thanks for all the replies.

She did end up buying the Mazda 6 with the 4 banger and the automatic. She liked the V6, but it was out of her price range, and she insisted on new insteD of used.

For the most part, she had her mind made up on the first test drive. Something about the car jus "called" to her. She did manage to get the dealer down from $24k to $21.5k.
Give her our Congragulations ...........and the wish for the best of luck with it. Sounds like she did a good job bargaining....but we don't know the sticker-price or the dealer-cost figure; both important figures in how good the deal really is. In general, though, of course, the lower you can bargain, the better off you are, so she saved herself $2,500 either way.

Does she know the proper break-in rules for a new car? They may or may not have gone over that at the dealership with her....though they are often written in the Owners' Manual. If not, PM me, and I'll give them to you....but the general idea is to take it easy on the engine and brakes for the first 1000 miles; no hard stuff, unless you have to brake hard in an emergency.

And, of course...........now I won't have to review it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 05:09 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are talking about simple brake-pedal shimmy from warped rotors, you can't necessarily blame that on the Flat Rock plant.....that is a very common problem.
Actually, I wasn't accusing the Flat Rock plant. I was merely pointing out that it is an American made car which the buyer may see as an advantage.

As for the brakes, I think all of the cars on that platform: Mazda6 (my son), Fusion (a co-worker), Milan, and MKZ (mine) have a tendency to develop warped rotors. My leased MKZ goes back to FMCC as soon as winter is over and the work is done on my LS430.

Congrats to the OPs sister on the new ride.
Old 03-16-10, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Actually, I wasn't accusing the Flat Rock plant. I was merely pointing out that it is an American made car which the buyer may see as an advantage.
As for the brakes, I think all of the cars on that platform: Mazda6 (my son), Fusion (a co-worker), Milan, and MKZ (mine) have a tendency to develop warped rotors. My leased MKZ goes back to FMCC as soon as winter is over and the work is done on my LS430.

That was my take on the Flat Rock reference. Many people may not be familiar with the FR Mazda plant...

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-16-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 07:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drove a unit a year ago with my papa.

It's quite fast, agile, lightweight. The engine easily responds with life and kicks in well (even at just 3500 rpm). That 2.5 liter motor is really something IMHO.

Only downside (at least in our model sold here) is that we sacrificed HID headlamps in order to get Cruise Control. IMHO, I'd pick HID headlamps over cruise control anyday (cause I don't like halogen headlamps anymore).

Another downside is push stop start button is not available in our model. Other than that, it seems all good (it has power seats, steering wheel audio controls, 6 speaker audio system, leather seats). It's all good.

Better than the US Accord 2.4 L without a doubt
Old 03-16-10, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK. I Understand.

Runout in the brake rotors is a very common problem. It is not limited to Mazdas by any means. GM, especially, suffered from it for a number of years.....refinishing or replacing Chevy brake rotors every 15,000 miles or so was considered more-or-less normal practice.

Even the mightly Lexus LS400 suffered from it in the first few years of production in the early 90's.....the car ended up being too big and heavy for the rotor size used, which created heat build-up.

Agreed. A new car is almost always a nice occasion.