Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on the Mazda 6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 01:50 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the Mazda 6?

My sister needs to replace her aging, and dying, Pontiac Grand Prix. She went out looking over the weekend, and even test drove a few cars. She's looking for a decent mid-sized, four door. Her price range is around $22-ish, give or take (depending on options and financing)

First thing the drove was the KIA Optima, and while she thought it was OK, it didn't do much for her. Her words "just not sporty enough".

Test drove the Fusion, which had the V6 (at the same price-point as an I4 from the competitors). And while she liked the power (similar to her Grand Prix), didn't like the interior, or overall styling of the car.

She also drove the Mazda 6i (believe it had the touring package, but not sure). She really likes the overall styling, and feel of it. Though it does only have the 2.5 motor.

The dealer offered to let her take the Mazda home for the weekend to see how she liked it. Which she did. I drove the car, and am relatively impressed with it. Very roomy for it's class, has a fairly sporting chassis (again, for what it is), and even the 4 cyl. isn't too underpowered for the car. Though, it's not impressive by any stretch of the imagination, and I think she might eventually wish she found something in a V6. But she says she can live with it.

So the question is, its there anything I should tell her to look out for in the latest generation Mazda 6? Any reason to tell her NOT to buy it?
Old 03-15-10, 02:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

AFAIK there's no reason not to buy it if that's the one she likes.

mmarshall should show up soon and have input, I think he did a review of one at some point as well.
Old 03-15-10, 03:10 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

My friend has an '06 Speed6, very cool car. If she knows how to drive a stick, have her look at used one's, they can be had for under $20k.
Old 03-15-10, 03:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the Mazda6's. They're related to the Ford Fusion, and a pretty good chassis overall.

Any chance she'd look at the new Hyundai Sonata? Those also look to be pretty good. An SE model should be somewhat sporty.
Old 03-15-10, 03:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think that the 2.5L is a pretty good motor from what I have seen on paper.
Old 03-15-10, 03:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Good reviews i believe in consumer reports..
Old 03-15-10, 03:40 PM
LexFather

Very good car, just gets overlooked. Now that I think of it, it wasn't in the latest MT test for instance.

Old 03-15-10, 03:57 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Thanks all.

I didn't think there was any reason to steer her away from the 6, but I just don't know a whole bunch about the current crop of mid-size, family cars.

To answer a few questions:
no, she wants an automatic. She can drive a MT, but for a DD, doesn't see the point.

Car has to be new (I recommended a 2yo used one for various reasons, but it's her decision).

No KIA or Hyundai. She still holds the "cheap" stigma to them.

I recommended a few options: Legacy, Accord, Camery, Fuzion, etc. She's still considering the Subie (her ex is a Suburu tech) but the 6 seems to have more room for two kids that are just going to get bigger as they hit their teens.

I think she's pretty stuck on the 6, and I see no reason why not. Just thought I'd get opinions from some other 'car-guys' (and girls).

Hopefully mmarshal will chime in soon...
Old 03-15-10, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
mmarshall should show up soon and have input, I think he did a review of one at some point as well.
No, haven't formally reviewed or test-driven the new 6 yet, but I'll put it on the review list if you (or jaseman) want....I'll assume the V6, right, as jaseman and her sister have already checked out the 4.

I have briefly looked at the new Mazda 6, however, in the showroom, and sat in it.....wasn't impressed with the roofline, back seat, or some of the interior plastics. At least it didn't have the big, smiley, clown-grin up front that the smaller 3 does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaseman
(and girls).

Hopefully mmarshal will chime in soon...
I'll do a review if you want one....right now, I'm caught up with all the available reviews and have the time. V6/automatic?.....since you've already looked at the 4.

I did test-drive the last-generation Madza 6 (but didn't formally write it up). It had, like you said, a relatively athletic, BMW-like chassis, despite the FWD. That is a Mazda tradition going back many years.

In the meantime, check out the new Hyundai Sonata as well....I think you and your sister will be pleasantly surprised. (I just did a review of one).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ai-sonata.html

I'm not wild about the new styling, especially the roof line, but it is very well-built, reasonably refined, value-priced, has a long warranty, and has a new 4-cylinder that is hard to tell from a V6. It also has a new hybrid version about to debut.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 05:19 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

mazda6 is very nice IMO. definitely under rated. but maybe it's just me, but i always thought mazda6 is little too sporty for a midsize sedan. ride is bit harsh IMO.

also, Mazda6 gets worst mpg mileage even though it's not the biggest. 21/30 for i4 and 17/25 for v6. genesis v8 gets 17/25. so i would stick with i4 if she cares about fuel economy.

and i would recommend her to take a good look at the new sonata. she may think hyundai is cheap maybe because she too many accents and elantras. but most likely she has not seen the new sonata and any of the new hyundais on the road. maybe she did, but most woman don't recognize genesis coupe or genesis. and there aren't many sonata on the road yet.

nothing cheap about new sonata. it was my sister, i would recommend sonata over mazda6 in a heart beat simply because i know she would careless about the handling or being sporty.
Old 03-15-10, 05:20 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

camery and fuzion is very nice too.
Old 03-15-10, 05:22 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it's not a bad looking car. i'm glad it's not smiling.
Old 03-15-10, 05:26 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Mazda's biggest problem is the fuel economy.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
17/25 for v6 is really atrocious. basically it will drink fuel like it's SUV.

compare it to RWD genesis v6 or v8.

or
g37

no FWD v6 should drink that much fuel IMO.
Old 03-15-10, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
Mazda's biggest problem is the fuel economy.
That's more the case with the rotary-engined Mazdas, which have always drunk both gas and oil, than with the conventional piston-engined ones.

17/25 for v6 is really atrocious. Basically it will drink fuel like it's SUV. No FWD v6 should drink that much fuel IMO.
Maybe. Depends on the gearing, transmission design, and final-drive ratio. Mazdas, in general, tend to be somewhat sport-oriented. That (sometimes) means short (high-RPM) gearing, close-ratio spreads, and a short final-drive ratio.......all else equal, forumulas for power rather than economy. It means more engine RPMs (and more fuel use) in any given gear range.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Mazda 6?