Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 1 Series...the perfect little car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 09:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

back seats can not fit adults properly, so not really perfect small car.
Old 03-16-10, 10:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

BMW 1 Series...the perfect little car

[flame suit] for someone who wants a bmw at a cheap price....*cough* badge *****s *cough* [/flame suit]

wait, it's not even that cheap
Old 03-16-10, 10:21 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody who is eying a 1 series coupe doesn't care about the backseat space. This is a car for a driving enthusiast who either drives a lone or with a wife/girlfriend/friend. Such people usually also have a more practical car that can seat five adults comfortably around.
Old 03-16-10, 10:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice enough, but far from perfect. The convertible 1 series are surprisingly popular around here.

Has BMW reliability improved in last few years?
Old 03-16-10, 12:13 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whoster
small and compact it may be, but it's pretty damn heavy, and I'd say pretty damn expensive.

I do like the 135i in certain colors though.
Originally Posted by Och
Too expensive and ugly. For only a couple more thousand you can get the 335, which is a much better looking car.
Originally Posted by meowCat
One thing I do like about the 135i in terms of styling is the dashboard. It looks better than that on the 335i.

You can pick up an 135i for $36k which isn't a terrible price. The question is, is it more reliable than the 335i? if so, by how much? It's the hassle taking the time and dropping the car in for repair is what I don't wanna go through.

You want the premium quality, reliability, and performance for around $40k get the Lexus IS350. Get the sport package and then upgrade the swaybars, replace the hood with a carbon fiber hood, replace the wheels and tires with a light set. That'll make your IS350 go fastttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Originally Posted by jaseman
Remember, not everyone wants/is willing to do that to a new car. Many just want to buy a car, and be done with it, without modding to get it to additional performance.

I like the little 1-series, but for me, it's just too expensive and too small. If I was single, or didn't have kids, maybe.
Originally Posted by meowCat
No it's not.

I agree. 135i is still overpriced and will be unreliable. I checked some bmw forums and 135i owners are not having much luck with them in terms of reliability.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
disappointing weight, looks, and price
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
BMW 1 Series...the perfect little car

[flame suit] for someone who wants a bmw at a cheap price....*cough* badge *****s *cough* [/flame suit]

wait, it's not even that cheap

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.

When was a $5K difference not considered huge. That's like saying "you should get a GS350 instead of an IS350 because the price is only $5K more when similarly equipped...."

Like the IS and GS the 1 series is in a class below the 3 series and it's much cheaper than the 3 series too.

Is it heavy for it's size? Yes, but most cars are pretty heavy. The weight difference between the IS and GS is less than 200 lbs, and the IS is nearly a foot shorter than the GS. So does that make the IS heavy for it's size?
Old 03-16-10, 12:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.

When was a $5K difference not considered huge. That's like saying "you should get a GS350 instead of an IS350 because the price is only $5K more when similarly equipped...."

Like the IS and GS the 1 series is in a class below the 3 series and it's much cheaper than the 3 series too.

Is it heavy for it's size? Yes, but most cars are pretty heavy. The weight difference between the IS and GS is less than 200 lbs, and the IS is nearly a foot shorter than the GS. So does that make the IS heavy for it's size?

A 5k price difference between a 17k car and 22k car is huge. For 45k vs 50k, it negligible.

Your IS350 vs GS350 analogy is incorrect. That would be like comparing 135 to 328 (top of the line to bottom of the line). IS350 vs GS460 would be the proper analogy in this particular case.
Old 03-16-10, 12:47 PM
LexFather

I started a thread a long time ago about the 1 series being the perfect sleeper in 135 form. Meh I like the looks

MPG could b better and it simply is too costly to me.

That said I prefer it over the 3 coupe.

Old 03-16-10, 12:55 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
A 5k price difference between a 17k car and 22k car is huge. For 45k vs 50k, it negligible.

Your IS350 vs GS350 analogy is incorrect. That would be like comparing 135 to 328 (top of the line to bottom of the line). IS350 vs GS460 would be the proper analogy in this particular case.
People are comparing the 335i with a 135i. Different size cars with the same engine. That's all I did with the IS/GS. If we wanted to get technical then the 135i should be compared with the M3 and the IS350 with the GS460, but that wouldn't make any sense

So we're talking about a $5K price difference between a $35K car and a $40K car correct? IMO that's still pretty big, and the IS/GS analogy is similar since the IS350 cost $40K and the GS350 costs $45K.

FWIW at Lexus.com on the compare tool the price difference between the IS and GS is only $2K when similarly equipped. Does that make the IS overpriced? Maybe. Does that mean everyone should just buy a GS? Not at all. Different cars for different markets.

Only car that really compares to the 135i for price and performance is the G37 Coupe.
Old 03-16-10, 01:08 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that swoopy curve under the front door really bothers me. headlights are a bit off too.
Old 03-16-10, 01:39 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, perfect LITTLE car should be something that's toss-able, care free, fun, light, little does it care about power in a straight line and most importantly, CHEAP.

135's problem is other than it's fun and toss-able, it's nothing of the above while you'll still have to worry about if you curb your rim or scratch the paint while having fun, it's just so expensive that you have to care about everything. And what's the point on the back seat when you can barely fit a child? I've tried fitting in it, it hurts.... same goes for old Audi TT, Gen coupe, SC430 etc... especially with soft top, 4 seater? really?

IS and GS is a bit different as in they target different markets, IS is sporty, GS is luxury and refinement more than sport, but it's no slouch. But 135 and 335 is both sport, targeting the same market group.
Old 03-16-10, 02:35 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Expensive, ugly, and not practical.

Fast maybe, but if I want a fast and expensive car there are plenty to choose from that are not ugly.
Old 03-16-10, 02:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Too expensive and ugly. For only a couple more thousand you can get the 335, which is a much better looking car.
Or an E46 M3 ...

My friend has a fully loaded 135i ... I like it, but I certainly wouldn't trade cars with him; I'd say, I like him to have it because I don't mind being driven around in it
Old 03-16-10, 04:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Expensive, ugly, and not practical.

The 1 series is not ugly at all
Old 03-16-10, 05:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I don't own the coupe/convertible but I am enjoying my little 1 series hatchback. It's a very zippy and agile car and spacious enough for me and my wife. The driving experience is addicting.
118d = how many MPG!?!?!?!?
Old 03-16-10, 07:55 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i'm a huge bimmer fan, but 1 series doesn't do anything for me.

Quick Reply: BMW 1 Series...the perfect little car?