Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW confirms FWD is coming (80% of owners think 1-series is FWD)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 03:05 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW confirms FWD is coming (80% of owners think 1-series is FWD)

Just over a week ago, reports that BMW was considering a front-wheel drive joint platform for its small cars, to be shared with MINI, emerged on the Web. Today, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer confirmed the reports, stating outright, "There will be front-wheel drive BMWs in the smaller vehicle classes in the future."

The front-wheel drive models will also likely have all-wheel drive variants, but purists will no doubt decry the move from the purity of a rear-drive standard. The new vehicles will inhabit the smaller ranges of BMW's lineup, meaning most likely the sub-1-Series car we previewed in February, leaving the 1-Series as the smallest rear-drive BMW.

Front-drive is almost certainly a given for the packaging and pricing constraints of the Project i Mega City Vehicle, as well, though the sub-1er isn't to be confused with the MCV.

It's not yet clear what BMW expects the move to a MINI-shared, front-drive platform to do to the brand's image, though so far it doesn't look like the smallest BMWs are planned for the U.S., so America's small-equals-cheap prejudgment may not enter into the decision matrix, as Europeans are much more accepting of the compact-premium segment.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...ive-small-cars
Old 03-17-10, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BMW may (?) also be trying to expand the line of its product appeal beyond just driving enthusiasts and sporty SUVs. The FWD Mini, of course, has, up to now, been sport-oriented, even with the base versions.
Old 03-17-10, 03:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW has kept it's distance from Mini (from a brand standpoint) probably for valid marketing reasons. But the FWD BMW is certainly a bold move to expand, noting the US will not see them.
Old 03-17-10, 04:19 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly FWD BMWs aren't the worst thing that could happen. Audi does fine with FWD and Mercedes will be further expanding it's FWD vehicle offerings.

Looking way out into the future once efficiency standards are required in all major auto markets, RWD may be a thing of the past. RWD is just less efficient than FWD, and more automakers will probably moving to FWD even for their luxo-lines.
Old 03-17-10, 04:46 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

....sad really, first manual trans is dying out and now bmw is going fwd...makes me enjoy every day i live knowing many including myself drive and perfer rwd, on stick
Old 03-17-10, 04:55 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

You have to do what you have to do. It's not like they're abandoning RWD altogether.
Old 03-17-10, 05:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't driven a FWD car in a few years... Just had a chance to drive a FWD car today, man it felt so wrong
Old 03-17-10, 06:22 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I haven't driven a FWD car in a few years... Just had a chance to drive a FWD car today, man it felt so wrong
Oh it always does.
Old 03-17-10, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
BMW has kept it's distance from Mini (from a brand standpoint) probably for valid marketing reasons.
I guess it depends on how you define "keeping one's distance". In the D.C. area, BMW dealers that have Mini franchises (not all BMW dealers do) sell the Minis out of the same building, though with different showrooms. However, you may have a point about the marketing.....Minis are generally bought by a different (and somewhat more feminine) customer base than BMWs. And, personally, I've seen several females buy them, but only one male (an ex-CL member, BTW)............who recently bought a new 2010 Clubman S.

I'm not going to try and predict much, if anything, about the prospects for a BMW-label FWD subcompact for the U.S. The way I see it, BMW needs to first address the shortcomings of the American-spec 1-series (too high a price; no 4-cylinder engines offered; no xi-AWD models, no liftback/wagon versions) before they even think about sending another small car here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-10 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 08:23 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

First the X5M, then the X6(M), went to a stupid convoluted naming convention (3.5 X-treme Drive i), then they drop the 5 series wagon stateside, and now Fail Wheel Drive cars...

BMW, die in a fire.
Old 03-17-10, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94lex83457

BMW, die in a fire.
You got your wish years ago. Early-production X5 models suffered from engine fires from defective electric-cooling-fan switches. Some of them took a lot of damage and were totalled, even as fairly new vehicles.
Old 03-17-10, 08:38 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I, um, I ...

Wwwhhaaauuuuhh......

but ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-10, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Who ended up winning the race, though?

Old 03-17-10, 10:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
I, um, I ...

Wwwhhaaauuuuhh......

but ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahahahaha ..... Golden!
Old 03-18-10, 08:50 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

man! your beat me to it!! i was about to post that picture!

Quick Reply: BMW confirms FWD is coming (80% of owners think 1-series is FWD)