Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J. D. Power & Associates 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study(Updated,Page3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 03:41 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see Mercedes doing so well!
Old 03-19-11, 10:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Default another way to look at it...

if a brand is getting say 160 defects per 100 cars, that's only 1.6 defects or between 1 and 2. that's NOT MUCH and certainly hardly any different than 130 defects per hundred or 200 defects per 100.

so i see the data as showing there ain't a whole hell of a lot of difference between most of the brands in terms of vehicle dependability, and as was mentioned, are we talking vehicle break down (can't drive) or an annoying sound in the cabin? if they score the same, then the study is pretty worthless.
Old 03-19-11, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I don't entirely discount the J.D. Power numbers (they do have some merit), in general, I place a lot more stock in the figures that Consumer Reports comes up with. IMO, CR's data-collection and interpretation is more accurate than Power's.
does CR publish their 'interpretation' methods? edit: actually i found it:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ity-faq_ov.htm

it's a good disclosure, but full of holes. for example, they say a typical sample size per model is 200-400 responses. that ain't much.

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I'm not sure I'm believing this. I have a friend with a Lincoln and he has been to the service department a lot more than I have. It's a nice car but, I would rather be driving than waiting for repairs.
i'm sure you statistical sample of 1 is better than JDP and CR.
Old 03-19-11, 10:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad co
Good to see Mercedes doing so well!
The difference is real and obvious to MB owners of latest designs / model year 2008 and beyond.
Old 03-19-11, 11:20 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if a brand is getting say 160 defects per 100 cars, that's only 1.6 defects or between 1 and 2. that's NOT MUCH and certainly hardly any different than 130 defects per hundred or 200 defects per 100.

so i see the data as showing there ain't a whole hell of a lot of difference between most of the brands in terms of vehicle dependability, and as was mentioned, are we talking vehicle break down (can't drive) or an annoying sound in the cabin? if they score the same, then the study is pretty worthless.
Disagree Paul.

Keep in mind that there will be a significant variance between individual vehicles that are sampled. One vehicle may have zero issues while another (like my X5 ) might have 10. So across the entire sample size the difference between 130 and 200 defects is very significant.

I'd also disagree that including the "lesser" problems should make the study worthless. None of my issues have left me in total breakdown or even limp mode, but in an $80K vehicle I shouldn't be dealing with an insufficient battery, a bumper that's clips can't hold it, 2 EGR valve replacements, an amp replacement, urea delivery issues, etc, etc.

In their other evaluations they do break it down by vehicle part and list, independently, things like powertrain, interior/exterior, electronics, etc.

None of these reports should ever be viewed as conclusive, but they do, when combined with all the information available, help provide a base for making your decisions when purchasing a vehicle. There is zero excuse in the internet age to not have your eyes wide open when choosing a vehicle.
Old 03-19-11, 11:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Disagree Paul.

Keep in mind that there will be a significant variance between individual vehicles that are sampled. One vehicle may have zero issues while another (like my X5 ) might have 10. So across the entire sample size the difference between 130 and 200 defects is very significant.

I'd also disagree that including the "lesser" problems should make the study worthless. None of my issues have left me in total breakdown or even limp mode, but in an $80K vehicle I shouldn't be dealing with an insufficient battery, a bumper that's clips can't hold it, 2 EGR valve replacements, an amp replacement, urea delivery issues, etc, etc.

In their other evaluations they do break it down by vehicle part and list, independently, things like powertrain, interior/exterior, electronics, etc.

None of these reports should ever be viewed as conclusive, but they do, when combined with all the information available, help provide a base for making your decisions when purchasing a vehicle. There is zero excuse in the internet age to not have your eyes wide open when choosing a vehicle.
and generally, if you carefully look at data around the world, they all say the same thing, over and over again...
Old 03-20-11, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
yes, if they included standard deviation in the reports, that would help.

i agree your problems are bad, but i think maybe 'defects' should be scored based on severity (not just subjectively, all equal, by owners).

that's true! i guess it's like religion - some people have complete faith in some reports, some look at many and make up their own minds, and some ignore them all.
Old 03-20-11, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One possible explanation (though it is, admittedly, some speculation on my part), is that many younger Scion owners, especially with the tC, tend to "slam" and customize their vehicles, using aftermarket parts, even though Scion offers a long line of factory/dealer-approved custom parts. As a result, they sometimes end up having problems with the vehicle, due to the aftermarket or non-standard parts, that the factory warranty won't cover, so then they grumble and complain.
This is EXACTLY what I was saying a few posts above. These J.D. reports are inaccruate due to WHO drives these cars. Like Buick and Lincoln bringing in easy-going, older drivers who may be in "lala-land" and not have a clue about their cars, the opposite can be said for Scion. These younger and higher risk owners push these cars more to the limit. And as Mike said, altering and customizing them further adds stress and problems to the bottom line.
It is truly a diservice more noise isn't made in these reports about WHO drives the cars and how is influences the final tallies.
Old 02-08-12, 05:50 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Updated Again

Not quite, according to J.D. Power and Associates' 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study, but Acura holds its own compared to the industry overall.

J.D. Power's Vehicle Dependability Study measures problems experienced by owners during the 3rd year of ownership, and in the 2011 results Lexus ranked 2nd (behind Lincoln) out of 34 brands with 109 problems per 100 vehicles. Acura came in 6th with 123 problems, well below the industry average of 151. Luxury brands that had more problems than the industry average included Audi, BMW, Land Rover and Volvo.

Lexus and Acura vehicles were among the best in different luxury categories. The Lexus ES 350 ranked 2nd among entry premium cars, and the Acura TL and TSX tied for 3rd. The Acura RL was the most reliable midsize premium car, and the Lexus GS was 3rd in that category. The Lexus RX and GX 470 were the 2 most reliable midsize premium SUVs.