Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Police Associations, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 08:06 PM
KY350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Associations, worth it?

In California I saw many of the high end sports cars with licence plate frames for the 11-99 club which is the police support club. These guys would talk about how they would get out of speeding tickets because they supported the police association. Does anyone think the being a member of such clubs help the average Joe get off with a warning as opposed to a ticket for most violations? (And I do not mind supporting the local law enforcement even if it did not get me out of a ticket).

Just wondering where other people stood on the topic.

(I am sure this is in the wrong forum but I did not see a forum better suited and I imagine the ISx driver drives faster than the other Lexus drivers.)
Old 03-18-10, 08:19 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

I don't give tickets or warnings based on someone's license plate or license plate cover... Every officer is gonna be different and those guys may either have just been lucky or are trying to look cool.

Support LE because YOU want to
Old 03-18-10, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ JB
I don't give tickets or warnings based on someone's license plate or license plate cover... Every officer is gonna be different and those guys may either have just been lucky or are trying to look cool.
I agree. People often B.S. to others about tickets, either because they don't want to admit that they got caught and had to pay the same fines anyone else did, or because they want to make people think that somehow they beat the system when they didn't. That's why some claim that supporting police "associations" makes then immune from tickets. However, most of the posters on CL are generally honest about how and why they got tickets, although some, of course, look for ways to get out of it, as many people would.

And, another point...........some (not all) Police "Associations" are actually crooked organizations that have nothing to do with the REAL police. They claim to be "Fraternal Orders", but are nothing but shady telemarketers, fronting for illicit organizations, that hassle and call continually on the phone, day in and day out, asking for "collections". They not only don't respect the Federal Do-Not-Call lists, but arrange it so that many of the calls originate from outside of the country, where phone investigators can't deal with them. Those numbers are sometimes 1-800 numbers, or often don't show up on Caller-ID systems....or are sometimes marked "Unavailable".

We've had a problem here in VA with that for several years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-18-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 08:39 PM
Epik151
Driver

After all is said and done... probably won't hurt your chances. I mean, it's not a guarantee of anything but you know, it's something.

Just don't act like you deserve anything if you get pulled over. Just don't even mention it and be polite and hope for the best.
Old 03-18-10, 08:46 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ JB

Support LE because YOU want to
But you live in Arizona. California is a whole different story. Especially CHP.

But I have to agree, it depends on the officer. I have heard many stories where the officer gave people warning for having those plates.

PS: You need to badge or else the plate would be useless. Your suppose to flash the badge with your ID next to it.
Old 03-18-10, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Epik151
After all is said and done... probably won't hurt your chances. I mean, it's not a guarantee of anything but you know, it's something.
And if you DO support one, make sure it is a legit one...see my post above.

Just don't act like you deserve anything if you get pulled over. Just don't even mention it and be polite and hope for the best.
Agreed. Good advice.
Old 03-18-10, 08:54 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Epik151
And do your best not to get into the situation in the first place. Avoidance is easier if there is no reason to start a problem.

Big Mack
Old 03-19-10, 01:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by KY350
In California I saw many of the high end sports cars with licence plate frames for the 11-99 club which is the police support club. These guys would talk about how they would get out of speeding tickets because they supported the police association. Does anyone think the being a member of such clubs help the average Joe get off with a warning as opposed to a ticket for most violations? (And I do not mind supporting the local law enforcement even if it did not get me out of a ticket).

(I am sure this is in the wrong forum but I did not see a forum better suited and I imagine the ISx driver drives faster than the other Lexus drivers.)
Just because you have that frame on your car doesn't mean it's a get out jail free card. There's no special privileges to carry that frame. I laugh everytime I see someone sport 11-99 Foundation, Los Angeles KMA-367/628, even the CA Sheriff's Assoc. frames. They either 1) obtained it from a friend or family member who is in law enforcement, 2) Paid for membership thinking they will become immune to being ticketed.

I have friends who have those frames on their modded Lexus' but they still get pulled over and ticketed for whatever reason it is. In my opinion, having those frames and putting them on your high end sports car or modified car is just asking for more attention. Not worth it.
Old 03-19-10, 01:59 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I have such a frame and I haven't been pulled over since I put it on. But I don't think it's from that. I drive respectfully and blend in. I also do volunteer work for two local departments, so it's not all in vein.
Bottom line, it depends on one's driving habits, the officer, and the offense.
Old 03-19-10, 02:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I drive respectfully and blend in. I also do volunteer work for two local departments, so it's not all in vein.
Now that is key. If sporting those frames is truly in support of the cause, then it makes it justified to brandish them.

Nowadays people are just using those frames thinking it will mask their bad driving habits. Wrong.
Old 03-19-10, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just because you have that frame on your car doesn't mean it's a get out jail free card. There's no special privileges to carry that frame. I laugh everytime I see someone sport 11-99 Foundation, Los Angeles KMA-367/628, even the CA Sheriff's Assoc. frames. They either 1) obtained it from a friend or family member who is in law enforcement, 2) Paid for membership thinking they will become immune to being ticketed.
And, as I pointed out above, I hope you don't have the same problem in CA that we do in this area with questionable and fraudulant organizations that claim to be Police "Associations" or "Fraternal Orders".
Old 03-19-10, 02:39 PM
KY350
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and up paid to have a LE supportive license plate for my IS. Since it is an actual plate I am sure the added fee goes to LE and I am happy to make the donation. I am sure people treat that as a get out of jail free card and/or lie about avoiding a ticket blah, blah, blah.

Was just wondering what others thought about it.
Old 03-19-10, 04:02 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KY350

What other purpose can it possibly serve since the only people that know what it is are members or donors? It sure ain't pretty!
Old 03-19-10, 04:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, as I pointed out above, I hope you don't have the same problem in CA that we do in this area with questionable and fraudulant organizations that claim to be Police "Associations" or "Fraternal Orders".
To answer your question above, in CA the answer for the most part is No.

But regarding the OP's original posting about the 11-99 frames, here's the foundation's news release:

"To protect the CHP 11-99 Foundation's marks and good name, on September 15, 2008, the members of the CHP 11-99 Foundation's Board of Directors voted to phase out the distribution of "Member" license-plate frames to donors, effective January 1, 2009. The members of the Board also directed staff to more aggressively pursue illegal online sales of the 11-99 Foundation's license-plate frames and develop a program to address the status of all "Member" license-plate frames currently in circulation."

So in short these plate frames mean very little today (with so many phony ones out there).
Old 03-19-10, 10:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
What other purpose can it possibly serve since the only people that know what it is are members or donors? It sure ain't pretty!
The original purpose of these plates was to identify a crash-victim's car in an accident as someone who "belongs" to the force. Or in other words, "make sure you get that person out of the burning wreckage before the other person." Or something to that effect.