Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on Honda Ridgeline or Subaru Baja?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 11:18 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you seen the Ridgeline before in person?

Yea, the design is different, but its not ugly...but more bulky like a tank.

I help purchased the 2006 Ridgeline for my brother, by researches and negotiate price. It has about 98k miles right now. For first year model, no real problem or any major recall, which is an amazing feat for first model.

We uses the Ridgeline for camping, snowboarding, motorcycles on the bed, and occasional midnight dump with bed light. Uni-body design is very strong, but heavy. Cargo space under bed is very attractive option. Interior fold up seat are nice. Great AWD, driven in heavy snow condition before, but no spin out because of safe speed. Power rear window and sun-roof. Some people just need to stop being so picky about the sunroof and rear window!!! Great touch while drive Navigation.

Negative things about the Ridgeline is gas mileage, V6 engine, too heavy for fast acceleration, kinda of low ground clearance compare to other truck. It might be Honda first & last SUT(Sport Utilities Truck)

Overall great truck, would purchase another one if gas mileage isn't the issue. But recommend for every day drive! :-D

Last edited by speed_Demo; 03-22-10 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 07:02 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_Demo
Have you seen the Ridgeline before in person?

We uses the Ridgeline for camping, snowboarding, motorcycles on the bed,
Motorcycles? really? Are you talking about dirt bikes or street bikes? I'm not a truck/SUV person at all but I like the Ridgeline. If it actually would hold a streetbike there's a [small] side of me that would consider it.
Old 03-23-10, 05:31 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I stopped at a Honda dealer today and checked how a Ridgeline would meet our needs. They only had new RTL units. It was pretty much as expected, with a few surprises:

- The RTL with 18" wheels was about the maximum seat height for transfers. An RTS is supposedly about an inch shorter. Both would require the use of a step. This was the only negative.

- The in-bed trunk was especially large. With a space-saver spare, there was likely enough room in there to store my wife's travel wheelchair.

- The bed was very accessible with the tailgate swung open and reaching in. The bed was also accessible when reaching over the sides - which weren't too high.

- There was plenty of dog room in the back seat with the seats folded up.

A used Ridgeline stays on the list of possibilities. I'll have to check out a Taco and Baja.
Old 03-23-10, 10:14 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Motorcycles? really? Are you talking about dirt bikes or street bikes? I'm not a truck/SUV person at all but I like the Ridgeline. If it actually would hold a streetbike there's a [small] side of me that would consider it.
Yes 2 1000cc (RC51 & Aprilia), and you know those are big. The bed has groves for motorcycle/ATV wheels, but its not long enough, so you have to let the tailgate down.

The in-bed trunk is not big enough for a wheel chair, I know cause I tried it for my dad wheel chair. Put it inside with the fold up seats, and put the dog in the back!

If vehicle height is a major factor, settle for the Baja for low ground clearance.

Prioritize: wife first, utilities, and lastly the dog.
Old 03-24-10, 04:59 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speed_Demo
The in-bed trunk is not big enough for a wheel chair, I know cause I tried it for my dad wheel chair. Put it inside with the fold up seats, and put the dog in the back!

Prioritize: wife first, utilities, and lastly the dog.
I'm trying to avoid all vehicles, like crossovers, where the chair would ride in the passenger compartment. The chair and its leg rests are missles I don't need inside with us during a crash. The back seat is reserved for occasional trips with grandkids or the dog.

When my wife goes out, we take a lightweight transport chair with 8" wheels and folding handles. If folds up into a pretty small package: 20"x30"x8" with the folded handles making the width 24" at one end.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=3237

The chair may fit in the trunk. I will also probably get a Truxedo roll-up tonneau, like I have had on all my other trucks, so the chair can always ride in the bed.

Since the LS430 is my wife's primary transport and we ususally reschedule travel or appointments in the winter when there is bad weather, she won't be riding in the truck much - but I need to be sure I can fairly easily get her in.

So, once I establish the she can get in the truck, the priorities are utility, my comfort, and space for the dog.
Old 03-24-10, 10:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Just wanted to share my experience:

my cousin also transports her dad who is also in a wheel chair in the sienna.
Ground clearance is low, pleeeeenty of room when you remove the 2nd seat in the 2nd row.

He sits in the one of the 2nd row seat while the wheel chair can remain unfolded next to him.

3rd bench fits 3 people also, or leave it flat for your dog.
You can also get it in AWD
Old 03-24-10, 11:00 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^^

Aaack! I swore to myself "No minivan" unless my wife (or I) get to the point that I can't help her transfer from her wheelchair to a car. If she has to ride while sitting in a wheelchair, then I'll get a minivan or Element conversion. These guys are about an hour away. http://www.fminow.com/
Old 03-24-10, 11:14 AM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Could you elaborate on these two items? Does the AWD work well on roads with mixed icy / clear conditions? Is the driver's seat uncomfortable and or just not adjustable enough?
I have tried just about everywhichway in adjusting the seat on our RTL and for anything over about 30-45 min it starts to get very, very uncomfortable (muscle fatigue/cramping in my back). The seats in our old '06 Pilot EX were WAY more comfortable. It may also be a combination of harder leather and lesser padding in the RTL. My wife drives it more than I do, but I use it for hiking trips, and hauling a bike or two out to the desert when I don't want to load up the trailer on the F350, so its generally fine.

Put the AWD to use in icy/snow/sluch conditions up in Flagstaff quite a bit and it has worked very well in its automatic torque vectoring. Its not an off-road snow plow like the F350 is, but it handles much better on icy roads than my F350 (4X4) does, hands down. Off road my old F350 eats the ridgeline for lunch (though to be fair, the F is lifted, with much more agressive off-road rubber)
Old 03-24-10, 12:34 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^
Thanks. I'm not worried about off-road handling, except for Michigan's tremendous number of unpaved roads.
Old 03-24-10, 04:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
^^^^

Aaack! I swore to myself "No minivan" unless my wife (or I) get to the point that I can't help her transfer from her wheelchair to a car. If she has to ride while sitting in a wheelchair, then I'll get a minivan or Element conversion. These guys are about an hour away. http://www.fminow.com/
Check this out. It's the sienna with the AAS (auto access seat) system. Pretty cool, but I know you said no minivans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-Cx...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6_s...eature=related
Old 03-24-10, 04:20 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Hmm, I knew that looked familiar. GM offered this product a number of years ago, called the Sit-N-Lift. As I remember, most pictures showed the seat tilted downward when outside the van - like it was dumping the passenger. I don't believe GM offers it any longer - nor do they offer any minivans.

http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/gm_...sabilities.htm