Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My thoughts from the 2010 Atlanta Auto Show (From Audi to Volvo, lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 04:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZDX is definitely a huge flop. but it's not as ugly i thought it was.

anyway about sonata's interior.. it looks like a midsize sedan interior. definitely doesn't look like a 30k+ car. i think it's better than camry, fusion and altima though. but definitely people won't mistake it for a lexus.
Old 03-22-10, 05:23 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

nice write up. you're a very critical person, although i agree with most of your points.
Old 03-22-10, 06:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 03-22-10, 07:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, great post, I found myself agreeing with many of your points.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-22-10, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
His probably was the 2 colors of wood, which is a bit much. There's a darker shade around the center Nav area and a lighter shade in front of the passenger space.
I agree that a little more uniformity to the shade would be nice, but my point is that it has plenty of wood inside, like a proper luxury vehicle should have (as I see it). Too many vehicles today don't due to cost-cutting.

GM, especially, has improved their interiors lately (as the Cadillac Escalade image shows). Just a few years ago, they had a well-deserved reputation for cheapness inside.
Old 03-23-10, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
nice write up. you're a very critical person, although i agree with most of your points.
Its a review.

I got an idea, let me be critical of the critical person.

Old 03-23-10, 11:06 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that a little more uniformity to the shade would be nice, but my point is that it has plenty of wood inside, like a proper luxury vehicle should have (as I see it). Too many vehicles today don't due to cost-cutting.
Yes, it's real wood too. Nice pimp truck for sure.
Old 03-23-10, 01:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
In an age where there are truly few BAD cars anymore, and even companies like Hyundai and Kia are building class leading vehicles, I think it's important to be scrupulous and critical. I have always been a harsh critic of interiors...it's probably my favorite part of any car.

Anyway, I'll take that as a compliment
Old 03-23-10, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
His probably was the 2 colors of wood, which is a bit much. There's a darker shade around the center Nav area and a lighter shade in front of the passenger space.
that interior has so many issues... if you just check the written description - it is full of wood and leather... but take an look and... 2 different wood colors? 3 different colors of plastic? Plastic panels not aligning properly? weird.
Old 03-23-10, 05:02 PM
LexFather

I guess I will somewhat defend the Escalade since it with the 300C are the official cars of Atlanta

While I agree the color selection is bad the Escalade interior is not a bad place to be and it is a billion times better than the original model and a million times better than the last model.

I mean it came from this!

Old 03-23-10, 05:26 PM
Rain
Driver

Great writeup!! The A8 looks like its frowning
Old 03-23-10, 05:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I should add two other things:

The 2011 Avalon exhibit was so empty that you could hear the table turning. Not a soul was there or remotely interested. The front and rear look better...but overall the car looks 90% like the original so I'm doubting that the market even take note.

I spent some time with the new 4Runner and am unfortunately left cold, and I say that as a fan of this ute. I had an '01 and would still consider that to be the best generation of 4Runner, but I honestly like the 4th generation better than the new one. I don't care much for the exterior design of the new one but I really dislike the interior. IMO this truck has always been the "gentlemen's SUV" and now it seems more appropriate for college frat boys. The interior looks too played out, as if to say, "I'm sooooo rugged!". It has lost the executive, upscale charm it once had and is now instead seems positioned as something above the FJ Cruiser or XTerra.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 03-23-10 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 05:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I guess I should add two other things:

The 2011 Avalon exhibit was so empty that you could hear the table turning. Not a soul was there or remotely interested. The front and rear look better...but overall the car looks 90% like the original so I'm doubting that the market even take note.

I spent some time with the new 4Runner and am unfortunately left cold, and I say that as a fan of this ute. I had an '01 and would still consider that to be the best generation of 4Runner, but I honestly like the 4th generation better than the new one. I don't care much for the exterior design of the new one but I really dislike the interior. IMO this truck has always been the "gentlemen's SUV" and now it seems more appropriate for college frat boys. The interior looks too played out, as if to say, "I'm sooooo rugged!". It has lost the executive, upscale charm it once had and is now instead seems positioned as something above the FJ Cruiser or XTerra.
I noticed the exact same thing at the Avalon display at the Chicago Auto Show. And that was where the new Av made its debut. There was no one there except my wife and me, and we were there only because they had some comfortable seats.