Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My thoughts from the 2010 Atlanta Auto Show (From Audi to Volvo, lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 07:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My thoughts from the 2010 Atlanta Auto Show (From Audi to Volvo, lots of pics)

I thought I would quickly share my thoughts and opinions from the 2010 Atlanta Auto Show, as I typically do. Feel free to ask for more info as I will keep this rather brief.

Acura

I felt like this a little last year, but it really hit me today: I can't put my finger on why but there is something about Acura that really and truly just does not feel premium. The RL is their nicest car, IMO, but even their newest product, the ZDX, just feels like an upmarket Honda. When you sit in Accords and Pilots back to back with TLs and MDXs...they just really don't feel significantly different. Sit in a Lexus, Audi, or Mercedes and no matter the Acura, no matter the trim level, it just doesn't feel THERE. There are Honda design cues on many of their interiors and they really lack the elegance and sophistication that you get in premium brands. This is hard to really quantify but I sat in every Acura product today and none of them felt significantly nicer than some Toyotas, VWs, or Buicks. There is just something missing from these cars.

ZDX - This is one beast that is even uglier in person than it is in the pictures (see mine below). It really looks foolish- like a wedge of cheese that a blind ninja used for sword practice. The rear seats are so small that 1) the door itself is actually UNUSABLE for anyone over 6 ft tall because you will bump your head and 2) the second row is not suitable for anyone over about 5'10". The rear cargo area would be maxed out if you bought the 12-pack of paper towels...there is nothing there.

I walked away thinking, "What the...". The rear seats are small and the furthest thing from user friendly, the rear cargo area is a joke, it's heavy, it only has 300 hp, and it's far from cheap. Why would anyone ever buy a car like this, and how did Acura ever think they would successfully sell them? It simply makes no sense. Something like an A5 or 335i has more usable rear space and more trunk capacity than the ZDX, looks infinitely better, will whip it on a track or stop light rice, and costs the same money. With that I rest my case. This thing makes no sense, whatsoever.

Audi

A8
- All I can say is that it's just as bland in person as it looks in press pics. I was standing there taking pics and a guy walked up to the Audi rep next to me and said, "So this isn't the same A8 they've been selling for years?" The rep laughed and went into his sales pitch but that says a lot about how this car will be received by the public, IMO.

It just looks like a big A4/6.

Q5 - I checked this little ute out considering all the hoopla about it and I fail to see what all of the fuss is about. The interior looks decent but the gauges look especially downmarket, IMO, for a car in this segment. I also adjusted the drivers seat to a comfortable position for myself (I'm 6'0") and there were about four inches between my seat back and the seat behind me. This thing is really very small...much smaller than the RX when you are sitting in it and looking at the usable space. Other than that it has nice features and is a good looking 'ute but IMO the size is a deal-breaker.

Buick

Regal
- I was surprised to see that they had this car on the floor to sit in and experience but I am glad that they did. In person the exterior is tidy and conservative but the interior was a let-down IMO. Inside the Regal looks more like an upmarket trim level of the Chevy Cruze than a proper Buick. The dash is bland and rather cheap looking and much of the interior is very dull. The excess of black plastic is also extremely cheap looking.

LaCrosse - After sitting in (and really liking) the 2010 ES, I was excited to play with the LaCrosse for a bit. Unfortunately there are several things about this car that I really dislike and I find it to be a solid cut below the ES. The placement of the arm rest makes almost no sense...it's too far back to actually rest your arm on it and feels awkward. The center stack looks busy with several condensed buttons and the blank open dash in front of the passenger is covered in a cheap looking pleather material. The panel gaps in this car were also much greater than what I would have expected from all of the reviews.

All in all I feel like with this car GM thought, "OK if we put some wood here and leather here, then add some chrome...people will think it's actually a luxury car... right?" The end result is something that really tries to play the part of a serious luxury car, but as many of us know, the devil is in the details and that is one area where the LaCrosse does not excel.

Cadillac

CTS Coupe - Simply put, this car is absolutely hideous in person. I thought it was ugly in the pictures and now I KNOW it's even uglier in the flesh. It looks like a hatchback from some angles and PURE UGLY from others.

Escalade Platinum - what is this bizarre two tone/hideous wood? There are already a few too many colors in this interior, but this really put it over the edge, IMO.

Chevrolet

Cruze - I was very disappointed in this car. The top trim level has drum brakes and in person it looks more like a refreshed Cobalt than a whole new car. In pics I thought it looked handsome and more upscale than it's competitors but in person it looks very much like the econocar that it is. Very blehhhh and not the game changer I was expecting.

Ford

Taurus SHO
- To sum it up, I thought this was a nice car but not for the $47,000 price tag. The interior is nice for something in the $25-$35K segment, but much above that it is quickly outclassed and pales in comparison to other, more compelling choices. The interior design is nice but not necessarily beautiful or attractive in my opinion. The SHO is really the only Taurus that I like but the eye-watering price would be enough to make me shop elsewhere

Edge - The new Edge looks nice but I have a suggestion for this car and almost every other one in the Ford lineup - TONE DOWN THE CHROME. On a sunny day the grille on these cars is enough to cause an accident, nevermind how gaudy it looks.

Hyundai

Sonata
- Funny enough, I have seen 8 of these cars since Friday night so it was no longer that special when I saw one today. I feel like the exterior of this car borrows heavily from the Passat CC and ES, but none the less it is pretty attractive in the right trim level. I saw a dark gray one that I am guessing was a top of the line car, and it looked great. In upper trim levels it definitely looks more expensive than many of its rivals...something a la CLS, almost.

My enthusiasm for the exterior faded when I opened the door and started examining the interior. I will go flat out and say it: the interior of this car is way overhyped in the press. The plastics are nice but they are not as praise-worthy as the reviews would have you believe. The bits of shiny black plastic in the interior look ridiculously cheap- I'm no fan of the silver painted stuff, but the shiney black is infinitely worse IMO. Tapping on the door panels returns a somewhat hollow "thud" that is not overly reassuring. The dash material and that near the window switches is about average for this class. The two tone steering wheel is also particularly horrible looking IMO.

Another huge problem is rear headroom. As said above, I'm 6'0" and in the back of the Sonata my head was firmly against the ceiling. I think it would be similar for anyone less than about 5'9" or so. The roofline looks great from the outside but it definitely limits passenger comfort and that could be a deal breaker for some buyers.

All in all, I find the beauty in this car to be skin deep. The exterior is nice but the interior leaves a lot to be desired. With that considered, I think the 2010 Sonata is right up there with the Camry but I would NOT consider it better.

Jaguar

XJ
- They had two XJs at the show- one L in black, and one SWB in silver. The difference between these two cars was remarkable, due in large part to the ridiculous blacked-out C pillar. The black L was simply amazing looking- long, elegant, substantial, aggressive, and handsome. I would consider it one of the best looking in it's class. The silver car on the other hand was far less attractive. The C pillar looks very awkward in person...like something is missing or wrong. I think the larger proportions of the L also make the rear overhang look less cumbersome and more appropriate.

Verdict: this car has to be purchased in very dark colors, and in L form.

Kia

Sorento
- While I am not a fan of the exterior of this SUV and find it a bit bland, I must admit that I was very surprised with the interior. The entire design is simple, well thought out, easy to use and understand, and well put together. It's a shame the exterior isn't better looking because the inside of the Sorento is very nice indeed. It was one of the most pleasant surprises at the entire show.

Lexus

LFA
- I was shocked when I saw this car. It looks mean, sinister, and aggressive in pictures but those don't even remotely do the car justice. In person it is really beyond words. You have to see this thing in person to believe and appreciate it. This is, IMO, up there with the most beautiful exotics in history.

The LFA had the largest crowds in the entire shows, the most "oohs and ahhs", and the most questions.

Simply put...the LFA is incredible.

LS Sport - I loved the matte wood and two tone accents in person. I don't know if I love the saddle/black more than some other LS combos, but it really is unique and gives the car personality. Very nice!

Mercedes

SLS
- It's no secret that I really dislike this car based on pictures, but unfortunately it is no better in person. The extra long, squared off hood and front end simply don't mesh well with the short, sloping rear. The trick doors are a cool detail but I just dislike the exterior of the SLS regardless.

Volvo

XC 60 R-Design
- I was really shocked at how much I liked this cute ute. It has more usable space than either the GLK or Q5 and in this trim level, looked awesome. The red paint, grille, wheels, bumpers, exhaust, and little appearance bits look GREAT in person. The downside is that the R-Design package is pretty expensive and gets in the mid-to-upper 40K mark very quickly, which is a lot of money for a car like this IMO. I really liked it all in all...much more than I was expecting!
Old 03-21-10, 07:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mods, please ban him for posting pics of the ZDX. Now I'm gonna have nightmares
Old 03-21-10, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Nice seeing you today MP.

I agree Acura continues to just "miss" a little and a lot. Not sure why they are in existence at this point. The ZDX was designed by internet trolls and midgets. It is simply the dumbest luxury vehicle I've seen.

I also agree the A8 was so beyond bland it was pathetic. It is just sad in execution though the interior was nice. I heard comment after comment inside and out "they all look the same". Yet to me, it works b/c for the most part they look good. The R8 is still stunning. The 19" tri spoke wheels look fantastic on their vehicles. I loved the white theme. I was stunned that the S4 rear seat room is just as bad an IS and its 5 inches LONGER.

Concerning the Regal I was suprised to see it and liked it. I think the interior is very "Euro" and very dark and methodical but I didn't mind it. LOVED the GSX they had on the display. I also agree the Lacross is missing the details but it looks good and the rear seat room is fantastic.

The CTS-V coupe to me looked better in person but yes, still very much like a hatchback. That said, it actually grew on me right there and then even with the very bland and tall sides and short deck. Loved the Converj there. We didn't look at Escalades at all, no desire too.

I didn't mind the SHO interior and I think we might both agree here that the overall theme with interiors are that many look/feel the same with the same chrome trim around things. Interiors have gotten a lot better most everywhere. I agree the price is hard to swollow when you think "Taurus" compared to making the MKS.

I 100% agree with you about the Sonata. The interior looks great in pics and in person but if you are expecting some S-class quality interior at this price you are in for a rude awakening. Its great for a Hyundai, good as most but honestly didn't blow me away at all in quality. It is fine for this class.

We also feel the same way about the XJ in the different colors. Great in black, wtf in silver.

No interest in Kia, didn't stop by.

I agree with your Lexus assessment.

I also agree with the SLS. Quite frankly the doors are the only thing of interest about the car. The hood like the SLR is just way to long for me. The interior looks like any Benz. It simply feels "Special" just b/c of the doors.

We loved the XC 60 as well. Very well done Volvo!

I think I am going to merge my posts into yours instead of 2 threads.

Old 03-21-10, 08:22 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great pics and detailed write up..
Old 03-22-10, 02:51 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Mods, please ban him for posting pics of the ZDX. Now I'm gonna have nightmares
not only the ZDX, the A8 looks horrible (rear is identical to little brother A4). OMG i don't know which Grill i hate more A8 or Acura TL. Plus that CTS coupe LOOKS AWEFUL, feel sorry for the person (who doesn't know any better) whom buys that car..
Old 03-22-10, 03:01 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice show..
Old 03-22-10, 06:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
not only the ZDX, the A8 looks horrible (rear is identical to little brother A4). OMG i don't know which Grill i hate more A8 or Acura TL. Plus that CTS coupe LOOKS AWEFUL, feel sorry for the person (who doesn't know any better) whom buys that car..
I was actually surprised with just how BLING the A8 grille was. Standing in front of the car all you see is an expanse of chrome...it's huge. It looks like something Cadillac would have done- not Audi.
Old 03-22-10, 07:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I was actually surprised with just how BLING the A8 grille was. Standing in front of the car all you see is an expanse of chrome...it's huge. It looks like something Cadillac would have done- not Audi.
Yup. I believe most of us were fans of the previous model. The new one is just a big blah disappointment with this bling light/grill combo out of place here. Needs a RS package quick!

Old 03-22-10, 07:52 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No pics of the xc 60 r?
Old 03-22-10, 07:59 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Nice write up.
Old 03-22-10, 08:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexmenow
No pics of the xc 60 r?
Nah, it was honestly swarmed with people. I couldn't get a clear shot for the 5-10 mins that i was in the Volvo display.

None the less...it's a great looking little ute. The best looking of the bunch, IMO.
Old 03-22-10, 11:55 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Ford

Taurus SHO
- To sum it up, I thought this was a nice car but not for the $47,000 price tag. The interior is nice for something in the $25-$35K segment, but much above that it is quickly outclassed and pales in comparison to other, more compelling choices. The interior design is nice but not necessarily beautiful or attractive in my opinion. The SHO is really the only Taurus that I like but the eye-watering price would be enough to make me shop elsewhere.
Maybe Ford thinks that if they overprice their cars, they will be more attractive to people. Maybe Ford does not care about staying competitive.
A few years back when they rolled out the Flex, the MSRP quoted for the model at the show was roughly $45,000. And you have to ask yourself, "Why?" There is nothing that makes this worth the same as a Mercedes or BMW.
Old 03-22-10, 12:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Great writeup and pics too (except for the ugly ZitDX, what were they thinking...).
Old 03-22-10, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Escalade Platinum - what is this bizarre two tone/hideous wood? There are already a few too many colors in this interior, but this really put it over the edge, IMO.

Great post. I don't quite see a dash/interior like this as "bizarre". This, IMO, is what a luxury-car interior SHOULD look like.
Old 03-22-10, 04:04 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great post. I don't quite see a dash/interior like this as "bizarre". This, IMO, is what a luxury-car interior SHOULD look like.
His probably was the 2 colors of wood, which is a bit much. There's a darker shade around the center Nav area and a lighter shade in front of the passenger space.

Quick Reply: My thoughts from the 2010 Atlanta Auto Show (From Audi to Volvo, lots of pics)