Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

damn. Ford is killing it. 305hp v6, 31mpg hwy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 06:15 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good observation, of engineering band-aid applications.
I wonder if cylinder deactivation would be more effective on new DOHC or DI engines? Maybe at that point it's a diminishing return and it wouldn't even be worth it?
Old 03-24-10, 06:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I really think this is a way impressive motor on the high volume cars. Good job Ford! very impressive!
Old 03-24-10, 06:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I think it's funny that the 2 companies that use cylinder deactivation use it because they have outdated engines.
Haha, indeed.

I wonder if cylinder deactivation would be more effective on new DOHC or DI engines? Maybe at that point it's a diminishing return and it wouldn't even be worth it?
It seems to me that it would be most worthwhile via hybrid application. Say in the RX450h once you hit the speed that activates the ICE it would seem to me that it could run sufficiently on 3 cylinders, at least until you really called for heavy acceleration.

Looking at the Accord 26 MPG Hwy and the Accord Hybrid with deactivation 32 MPG. 6 MPG is alot.
Old 03-24-10, 08:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

DEARBORN, Mich., March 16, 2010 – The 2011 Ford Mustang GT, powered by a new 412-hp 5.0-liter V-8 engine, adds yet another notch to its belt: an EPA rating of 26 mpg highway when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission, giving it the best fuel economy in its class.

“The 2011 Mustang continues to exceed expectations in every category, and these fuel economy numbers are another chapter in an incredible story,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president, Global Product Development. “To offer this kind of horsepower and class-leading fuel economy in a comfortable, beautiful, tech-savvy and affordable package – it’s really unprecedented.”

With the six-speed manual transmission, Mustang GT coupe is rated at 17 mpg city and
26 highway, while models with the available six-speed automatic achieve 18 mpg city and
25 highway.

The GT’s best in class fuel numbers come on the heels of the Mustang V-6, which just last week cracked the record books as not only the most fuel-efficient Mustang ever, but also the first production car in history to produce 305 horsepower and 31 mpg highway.

Mustang GT is powered by an all-new 5.0-liter double-overhead-camshaft (DOHC) V-8 with a host of advanced features to deliver the combination of power and class-leading fuel economy.

Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) adjusts the valvetrain in microseconds depending on driver inputs. A carefully tuned intake and exhaust system ensures free breathing at all engine speeds. And all-aluminum construction results in a lightweight yet durable powerplant.

A pair of new transmissions, both with six forward ratios, also play a large part in making the 2011 Mustang a breakthrough car. Regardless of whether drivers want to shift for themselves or let the car shift for them, they’re treated to carefully chosen gear ratios to maximize fuel economy while still delivering high-horsepower performance

“Mustang powertrain development has reached a point where customers don’t have to choose between fuel efficiency and performance,” says Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Global Powertrain Engineering. “Thanks to technologies like Ti-VCT and our six-speed gearboxes, a Mustang driver has the best of both worlds.”

Fuel economy improvements on all Mustang models
Mustang GT shares fuel economy accolades with the new 3.7-liter Mustang V-6 – the first production car ever to offer both 300-plus horsepower and 31 mpg on the highway. Official 2011 EPA fuel economy ratings for the Mustang product line are:

Mustang V-6
•19 mpg city and 31 highway (automatic coupe)
•19 mpg city and 29 highway (manual coupe)

Mustang GT
•18 mpg city and 25 highway (automatic coupe)
•17 mpg city and 26 highway (manual coupe)

In addition to powertrain improvements, upgrades to Mustang’s body and chassis design contribute to its 2011 performance. Examples include:

•New EPAS eliminates the drag of an engine-operated hydraulic power steering pump
•Combined with the new six-speed transmissions, standard 3.31 (manual) and 3.15 (automatic) rear axle ratios provide an ideal blend of relaxed cruising rpm and all-out acceleration
•Aerodynamic improvements include a new front fascia on the Mustang GT, tire spats on the rear wheels, modified underbody shields, a taller air dam and an added rear decklid seal
The 2011 Mustang is built at the AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich., and goes on sale this spring.
http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...ds-class-32210
Old 03-24-10, 08:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like the manual is down 2 mpg on the highway, not 1. This proves the point of super-tall gearing. 19/29 doesn't sound as nearly as impressive as 19/31.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
name other cars that are special or exceptional.
Let's see, where do I start?

The GS350 RWD, which has a curb weight of 3,704 lbs, gets 19 mpg city, while achieving roughly the same HP and torque as the Mustang.

So roughly equal HP, the GS weighs quite a bit more than the Mustang V6, yet it gets equal city mpg. Sure the highway mpg is lower, but that's because the GS350 doesn't have super-tall gearing. It's fairly short gearing on that car.

The RX350, both FWD and AWD models get 18 mpg city. The RX weighs MUCH more than the Mustang V6, and has a much bigger frontal drag area than the Mustang. Yes, it has roughly 30 HP less, and less highway mpg but the larger drag and weight, once again combined with fairly short gearing on the 6-speed auto make the RX's city economy quite impressive.

There is the Audi S4, which achieves 18 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. This is a car that is heavier than the Mustang V6, achieves quite a bit more power than the Mustang V6, yet gets almost identical city mpg, and highway mpg which is not far off.

A sedan that weighs over 3900 lbs and makes 333 HP while achieving 18 mpg city? Now THAT is impressive.

What about the G37? It weighs more than the Mustang V6 as well, makes 328 HP, and gets 19 mpg city.

The new Sienna V6 gets 18 mpg city, and while it has less power than the 'Stang V6, it has a massive frontal drag area in comparison, and is a much heavier vehicle.
Old 03-24-10, 08:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

None of the cars you have listed crack the 30 MPG marker and the Mustang does. That's impressive. The GS 26 Hwy, the G37 27 Hwy (25 if you opt for the MT). The Audi 3.0L TSFI is also an impressive engine, which I am sure is the reason that it is being installed in the Toureg and Cayenne hybrids.
Old 03-24-10, 08:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

WOW 31mpg is impressive. This use to be econobox territory. At the end of the day, 31mpg is 31mpg and the buyer could care less how it's achieved.

Good job Ford!
Old 03-24-10, 08:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
None of the cars you have listed crack the 30 MPG marker and the Mustang does. That's impressive. The GS 26 Hwy, the G37 27 Hwy (25 if you opt for the MT). The Audi 3.0L TSFI is also an impressive engine, which I am sure is the reason that it is being installed in the Toureg and Cayenne hybrids.
I did point this out in my post, and also the reasons why this is so.

It's obvious Ford put the tall gearing on the auto to crack the 30 mpg barrier purely for marketing reasons.

We should not ignore the city mpg number. Highway economy is only part of overall economy.

My post was clearly and specifically talking about the city economy not being impressive at all.

I never disagreed with the highway economy being impressive.
Old 03-25-10, 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first, which is why the leaders have DI and DOHC. DI and DOHC have greater efficiency and performance gains than cylinder deactivation, without creating drivability problems. Certainly for premium car makers, probably not worth it.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-25-10 at 03:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-25-10, 03:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

performance numbers should be out next monday, when the embargo is lifted.

it's funny. If it weren't for CHEVY killing stang sales, ford probably would've taken forever to come out with upgraded engines.
Old 03-25-10, 04:02 PM
LexFather

The GS 350 does offer best automatic acceleration and MPG in multiple tests, the IS 350 as well. This new Mustang seems to do the same for muscle cars. Ford really did a great job I real world results match this.

The Camaro gets great highway MPG too.

The Challenger is MPG challenged

Old 03-26-10, 10:47 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
performance numbers should be out next monday, when the embargo is lifted.

it's funny. If it weren't for CHEVY killing stang sales, ford probably would've taken forever to come out with upgraded engines.
You're joking right? The new Mustang engines have been planned well before the Camaro's rebirth. Ford did not design and build a new 5.0 V8 in the few months that the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang. People already knew when the redesigned 2010 Mustang was coming out that the new powertrain and engines would be on the 2011 model. For that alone a lot of people who may have bought a 2010 Mustang have held off of purchasing until the new engines arrived.

I'm not a fan of that approach, of redesigning a model and carrying over an older engine and powertrain but Ford isn't the only one that does that. The 3GS had the older 3.0 for one year before it got the 3.5 V6.
Old 03-26-10, 11:16 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Ok, I see your hypothesis, but why say Ford finally caught up to Lexus when Lexus/Toyota never had a 300 hp+ car with 30+ mpg highway?
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Looks like the manual is down 2 mpg on the highway, not 1. This proves the point of super-tall gearing. 19/29 doesn't sound as nearly as impressive as 19/31.

Let's see, where do I start?

The GS350 RWD, which has a curb weight of 3,704 lbs, gets 19 mpg city, while achieving roughly the same HP and torque as the Mustang.

So roughly equal HP, the GS weighs quite a bit more than the Mustang V6, yet it gets equal city mpg. Sure the highway mpg is lower, but that's because the GS350 doesn't have super-tall gearing. It's fairly short gearing on that car.

The RX350, both FWD and AWD models get 18 mpg city. The RX weighs MUCH more than the Mustang V6, and has a much bigger frontal drag area than the Mustang. Yes, it has roughly 30 HP less, and less highway mpg but the larger drag and weight, once again combined with fairly short gearing on the 6-speed auto make the RX's city economy quite impressive.

There is the Audi S4, which achieves 18 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. This is a car that is heavier than the Mustang V6, achieves quite a bit more power than the Mustang V6, yet gets almost identical city mpg, and highway mpg which is not far off.

A sedan that weighs over 3900 lbs and makes 333 HP while achieving 18 mpg city? Now THAT is impressive.

What about the G37? It weighs more than the Mustang V6 as well, makes 328 HP, and gets 19 mpg city.

The new Sienna V6 gets 18 mpg city, and while it has less power than the 'Stang V6, it has a massive frontal drag area in comparison, and is a much heavier vehicle.

S4 is impressive, but 3mpg difference in highway is still huge.

it's like me saying Genesis v8 is much heavier than S4, it's a v8, doesn't drink premium, and has 52 more hp(2011 has 385hp), but still gets 17/25 which is 1 less city and 3 less on highway.

now that's impressive.
Old 03-26-10, 11:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
S4 is impressive, but 3mpg difference in highway is still huge.

it's like me saying Genesis v8 is much heavier than S4, it's a v8, doesn't drink premium, and has 52 more hp(2011 has 385hp), but still gets 17/25 which is 1 less city and 3 less on highway.

now that's impressive.
The S4 will hand the Genesis its *** in performance. Why even bring it up? Apples to Oranges. The S4 will also whoop the V-6 Mustang and will give the V-8 one a headache.