Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

World's 1st "9 SECOND" GT-R!!! Tuned by AMS Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 05:46 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a great feat, congrats to AMS..

However I know a guy here who's street Supra ran 8s (if not broke into the 7s, not sure)...and he drives it around like its nothing.
drag radials?
i thought supras had major problems hooking up.
Old 03-24-10, 06:31 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i need to send my gs to ams,,,hahaha
Old 03-24-10, 08:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Of course the transmission has been worked on. No way the stock GT-R tranny will handle launching with that sort of power.

Very impressive for the GT-R, but there are quite a few street cars out there running 9s and 8s for years and years. I don't see why so much hype is needed for the GT-R being able to achieve this .
Old 03-24-10, 08:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I'm actually a little surprised one hasn't already broken into the 9s. Full interior I assume?

Supposedly it's full interior. If so, this thing porky as hell. It's already heavier than most sports car in stock form so for it to be able to do 9s with full interior is quite amazing.
Old 03-25-10, 04:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Of course the transmission has been worked on. No way the stock GT-R tranny will handle launching with that sort of power.

Very impressive for the GT-R, but there are quite a few street cars out there running 9s and 8s for years and years. I don't see why so much hype is needed for the GT-R being able to achieve this .
Maybe the hype is because it's the first R35 GT-R to do 9's. I personally think 9's in this car is impressive with full weight. When the MKIV came out in 93 when was the first one known to run 9's??? Also no auto mkiv that I know of is making 9's on stock toyota trannies. Even the 6spds have upgraded pp/disks. Not a supra hater by any means, my motor/drivetrain and entire rear end are from a supra.
Old 03-26-10, 03:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
Maybe the hype is because it's the first R35 GT-R to do 9's. I personally think 9's in this car is impressive with full weight. When the MKIV came out in 93 when was the first one known to run 9's??? Also no auto mkiv that I know of is making 9's on stock toyota trannies. Even the 6spds have upgraded pp/disks. Not a supra hater by any means, my motor/drivetrain and entire rear end are from a supra.
I'm no Supra expert by any means, but I am willing to bet real money that there is at least one (if not more) street Supra running 9's on the stock 6 speed.

As for when was the first Supra known to run 9's? I believe somewhere in the late 90s.

The GT-R has only one tranny choice. The MK4 had two choices, with the stronger one being the 6 speed.
Old 03-26-10, 05:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm no Supra expert by any means, but I am willing to bet real money that there is at least one (if not more) street Supra running 9's on the stock 6 speed.

As for when was the first Supra known to run 9's? I believe somewhere in the late 90s.

The GT-R has only one tranny choice. The MK4 had two choices, with the stronger one being the 6 speed.
The supra 6spd trans itself can handle the power to make the et's, I'm not so sure about the stock disk and pressure plate. I don't think it can handle too many launches at the line and no one I know even has a stock disc/pp.

The R35 GT-R taking 2 years to get to 9's is impressive to me for a brand new platform. I believe once tuners start pushing them harder the times will get better.

I wish the R35 GT-R had a true manual box but it is what it is. Tuners will have to work with what they have. The fastest supras in the 1/4 are actually autos and I believe Titan/BL holds that record and as far as I know they are both running glide trans and not toyota auto trans. Modified toyota trans are already in the 9's also. SW's blk supra is the only 6spd in the 7's that I know of.

The ability to launch and run from a dig is impressive, here's a dig run of a R35against a Haybusa to 300km/h: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTm8a...eature=related

A lot of people bash the R35 for being a Nissan and being auto but you have to give respect where it's due in for how quickly the aftermarket embraced the car and got it to 700 plus HP and 9's.
Old 03-26-10, 05:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

We can only agree to disagree at this point.

Yes, the R35 GT-R is heavy, and yes it's AWD. Well that actually gives it advantage in 1/4 mile runs. The heavy weight means it has less traction problems, along with the AWD when you start achieving high HP numbers. That's part of the reason I'm not overly impressed here. The GT-R by design achieves excellent launches and traction. A stock MK4 Supra Turbo does not, let alone a modified Supra running higher HP. A stock R35 GT-R is also MUCH faster than a stock MK4 Supra. It's a lot easier to reach 9's with an R35 than it is reaching 9's with an MK4 Supra.

The biggest problem with MK4 Supras is that they have traction problems at launch. They are absolute monsters from a roll, but the high HP MK4's have problems launching and the tires biting down. Given the fact the MK4 Supras are a lot lighter than the R35 GT-R and they are RWD only makes sense why they would have launch and traction problems.

Again, I'm no expert regarding Supras but like I said, I can easily bet there is at least one MK4 street Supra running around doing 9s with the stock tranny. By stock tranny that obviously means the clutch and everything else is stock.

Yes, the fastest Supras in the world use modified and sometimes custom auto trannies, but those are NOT what we are discussing here. Those cars are drag queens only, pushing way over 1000 HP, and illegal on the streets.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-26-10 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-26-10, 06:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Of course we can disagree, you don't like the GTR and you have every right to me on the other hand respects the GTR for what it is even if it's an auto. The MKIV has been in the game a long time and did not get to 700 HP and running 9's within 2 years of it's release. I will be more than glad to be shown a 6spd 9 second supra on stock disk/pp. In regards to drag queens, the Titan Supra is actually legal on the streets of FL lol.
Old 03-26-10, 06:42 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Talk about assumptions. The fact is, I'm a BIG GT-R fan. I've been a huge GT-R fan since I was little, during the time of the R31 and and R32. I'm also a fan of the R35, but I'm also sick and tired of all the hype surrounding the R35. Sorry, but no the R35 is not the 2nd coming of Christ. What really gets me is all the hype for the R35 on NON-NISSAN forums. It's as if everyone must bow down and worship the R35, just because a few rabid enthusiasts say so .

It has NOT redefined price/performance in the sports car market. The MSRP for the GT-R is quite a bit more than a Vette Z06, while offering not much more performance. The Vette ZR-1 has a higher MSRP than the GT-R, but it's also faster than the GT-R in quite a few metrics.

The GT-R's price/performance ratio is no better than the top end Corvettes.

I'm no expert, but I'm also willing to bet maintenance on the top end Vettes is cheaper than the GT-R. I also bet that getting a Z06 or ZR-1 into the 9's will be cheaper and easier than getting a GT-R into the 9's.

You completely ignored my above points on why you CANNOT compare the MK4 Supra achieving 9's to the GT-R achieving 9's.

The R35 GT-R is NOT that special in terms of exclusivity or production; it's produced on a regular assembly line.

Stock R35s can run 11s. Stock MK4 Supra Turbos run 13s. The R35 has a big advantage over the MK4 Supra in terms of traction and launching ability. To go from 11s to 9s is not that huge of a deal. It's a lot harder to go from 13s to 9s, especially when the Supra has a traction and launching disadvantage.

Also, I'm not sure if the specific Titan Supra you're referring to is the fastest Supra in the world. I believe there are some drag Supras that have made it into the 5-6 second range.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-26-10 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-26-10, 08:33 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

The hype around the R35 is because no other Japanese manufacturer makes a high end sports car for the US market under 100K. Of course there's the LF-A and you can buy 5 GT-R's for that price. I think a new NSX is in the works and a RX-9 I heard but until they are here the R35 will be the only Japanese car in that class. After the Supra,300ZX, RX-7 and 3000GT stopped production in the late 90's there was a void left for factory Japanese turbo sport cars. The 350Z/G35 coming out in 03 was good but it just wasn't the same and didn't fill that void, same with the Evo/STI. The R35 filled the void for a Japanese Turbo Sports Car and some people in fact did view it as the second coming. It's something new and different than just another dime a dozen non japanese sports car.

American muscle has always been there and will probably always be there but not everyone wants that option. I have nothing against American muscle, I personally think the Z06 is the best bang for the buck, even the new Ford GT is putting out nice numbers with almost 400 at the wheels.

My apology I was referring to street tire class cars, tube framed chassis Pro RWD drag cars are in a whole different league and Titan has one also in 6's last I remember.
Old 03-26-10, 09:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

GTR is heavy, but damn it does it perform well in a straight line AND the turns.

Time will tell how when it'll hit 8s
Old 03-26-10, 09:31 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Well... whateva the opinion may be.... the FACT is the GT-R is even in stock form Incredible! Weight ain't even an issue here... It does EVERYTHING better than well: straight line, corner carver, high speed stability, AND it does it all effortlessly. This car is light years ahead of the MK4, let's keep it real. Oh and it's all-wheel drive too? Game over.
Oh before I get accused... My best friend owned a heavily modded MK4 that I drove and enjoyed. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 03-26-10, 10:31 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

was that launch control being used? it was amazing how it grabbed...