Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: Lexus future product expansion and balance

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 10:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1sicklex, alot of thought went into that, into alot of stuff you post here... you have alot of time on your hands dont you
Old 03-25-10, 04:01 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I really really hope there is a LX600hL in this or the next generation LX.

and SC600h with LFA influence
Old 03-25-10, 04:21 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, can't wait for the LX hybrid!!
Old 03-25-10, 05:01 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I would have expected an ESh before the HS or CT. Definately a big market for it.

And if I could dream. GS 350 6MT....and if I could really dream GS 350 AWD 6MT.
AGREED...Lexus is treating ES no love i think they forgot which model built this company before RX
Old 03-25-10, 07:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 03-25-10, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good post as usual, Mike.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The ES coupe might not appeal to hearts but to my head its a good move. I don't think the ES can stand out being one model. They need more engines, more drivetrains and a COUPE would set it apart from new threats. I'm thinking like a Lexus Eldorado.
The reason that Cadillac dropped the Eldorado, Coupe de Ville, and their other 2-doors (though we may see a CTS coupe) was that they didn't sell much when they were offered. The Eldorado was popular in the 1970s, but gradually lost appeal after that. Same with the Lincoln Mark-series coupes.....and they were dropped. We don't see any expensive/upmarket coupes from Infiniti or Acura either (the 2-door Legend was dropped) for the same reason. Audi does market the gorgeous A5 coupe, but sales even there have not been up to A4 levels. BMW does manage to sell 1 and 3-Series coupes (and the Z4 coupe), but that is to a somewhat more sporting crowd than the ES would appeal to.

I'm with you in that I'd like to see more upmarket coupes offered, but, right now, it might not be a good buisness case. An ES coupe would probably (of necessity), be done on the Camry-ES platform, and Toyota recently dropped the Solara.....its sales couldn't come anywhere near the Camry 4-door.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
-Lexus has a very happy traditional base of customer who love the comfort. They also have this reputation so new buyers expect this comfort. They are going to have to continue to offer these vehicles to customers
Yes. I totally agree. These customers are NOT dying off, as many critics keep alledging. Yet companies like Cadillac, Lincoln, and even Buick are ignoring them more and more for the sport-oriented crowd (the Town Car is pretty much gone, and the DTS and Lucerne will probably soon be also). Lexus simply cannot afford to do likewise. Fortunately, the LS remains as a world-standard for comfort, although even the LS has been stiffened a little with lower-profile tires. The ES is reasonably comfortable, but, of course, not to LS levels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-25-10, 10:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Certainly I'm a fan of Lexus progress into the sporty side of luxury. I do see the need for a premium coupe and smaller premium crossover in the lineup.
Old 03-25-10, 12:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, it is obvious that for the past what, 5 - 6 years Lexus's focus was primarily on IS. As 1Sicklex has mentioned above, we've got ISF, ISC, ISX50 models. The question is, on which model are they going to focus for the next 5 or 6 years? Is it going to be a GS, which was forgotten I think after all glory it has received in the 90s... or the LS / ES? I guess the time will tell
Old 03-25-10, 08:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes. I totally agree. These customers are NOT dying off, as many critics keep alledging. Yet companies like Cadillac, Lincoln, and even Buick are ignoring them more and more for the sport-oriented crowd (the Town Car is pretty much gone, and the DTS and Lucerne will probably soon be also). Lexus simply cannot afford to do likewise. Fortunately, the LS remains as a world-standard for comfort, although even the LS has been stiffened a little with lower-profile tires. The ES is reasonably comfortable, but, of course, not to LS levels.
Perhaps I am venturing off topic, but it seems as if current demand calls for a super sporty ultra comfortable luxury vehicles. People want it all in one package, which I can't say is neccessarily bad. However, we have come to see these monsters, like the 750iL for example, that require more and more HP because they are so packed full of amentities that weight the car down, thus the whole car costs more and it costs more to maintain and cosumes more gasoline. And then people, like us here, balk at the price, yet people still buy them. It's a bit of a conundrum. It used to be that midsize and fullsize sedans were decently quick, but now they have to hit 60 MPH in under 5 seconds and cool, heat, and vibrate your toosh all the same time. Where did this come from?....but then you can get leather in the upcoming Fiesta, so that's a bit of an oxy-moron too. Perhaps I need to evolve.
Old 03-25-10, 10:32 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread nice read!

i really wanna see an IS-F coupe (not convertible), and it'd be nice to have a true IS coupe as well.
Old 03-25-10, 11:07 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

I do think that Lexus needs a top-line flagship LS that can compete on an even level with the S600. The LS600hL does not do that - it would need about 200 more horsepower.
Old 03-26-10, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone.

I forgot to mention something a lot of here have asked for. Factory "sport" packages like the new LS sport but without the added on cladding (something better). The individual F-sport parts are great but a package would be great too.