Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M Driving School -- The Rush...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 09:37 PM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, didn't i tell YOU to get a e92?!!!

see, you don't check my fb at all jas!
hahahaha recently ive only been using fb to message ppl but ok ok ill fb stalk you more often
Old 03-29-10, 08:25 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Very nice write-up..... Interesting the changes in the program for those with the M3 vs. the M5 (our hot lap was with the M5).

Here is another write-up by a guy that was in school with me
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...hd-videos.html

It is loaded with videos taken by him and his wife using their Nikon D90. They blow away the in car video that you will get shortly. My favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5BC...layer_embedded

has me screaming like a girl - I should also note that my class was done in the rain as was my hot lap. The rain actually made the day MORE FUN and I honestly can not believe how fast they can take these cars around the track - even in the wet. Oh yea, at one point he has us power sliding at approx 100mph - I kept thinking "Is this car going to catch and flip?" - hint, you hear me say "no way, no way!" - which is my way of saying "no way am I going to live through this"

Henry, I agree with your comments about the SMG - except I think those cars are "fixed" in such a way that they are crippled. Note the video above and how hard the car shifts - it did not do that for me when I was driving (shifts were slow and I so wished for my 6-speed).

The factory tour was amazing as well and no, I will never buy a first year car - the complexity of the build process is mind boggling and it must take at least a year to get it right.
Old 03-29-10, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice write-up, Henry. I've sampled and test-driven some Ms over the years, but not under those conditions. That must have been quite an experience. It's neat that you and Dave knew the same instructors.

I still like the 335xi, though....for the money, hands-down my favorite Bimmer for street driving, but, even though I myself haven't had an M3 on a track, there's no question that the M3 would better than the 335 there.
Old 03-29-10, 11:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Very nice write-up..... Interesting the changes in the program for those with the M3 vs. the M5 (our hot lap was with the M5).

Here is another write-up by a guy that was in school with me
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...hd-videos.html

It is loaded with videos taken by him and his wife using their Nikon D90. They blow away the in car video that you will get shortly. My favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5BC...layer_embedded

has me screaming like a girl - I should also note that my class was done in the rain as was my hot lap. The rain actually made the day MORE FUN and I honestly can not believe how fast they can take these cars around the track - even in the wet. Oh yea, at one point he has us power sliding at approx 100mph - I kept thinking "Is this car going to catch and flip?" - hint, you hear me say "no way, no way!" - which is my way of saying "no way am I going to live through this"

Henry, I agree with your comments about the SMG - except I think those cars are "fixed" in such a way that they are crippled. Note the video above and how hard the car shifts - it did not do that for me when I was driving (shifts were slow and I so wished for my 6-speed).

The factory tour was amazing as well and no, I will never buy a first year car - the complexity of the build process is mind boggling and it must take at least a year to get it right.
hey doug, good to see you post here again!!! yeah, it was awesome! i totally forgot what you told me about the m school when i bought my car, so it was such a pleasant surprised when i got the letter!

our final hot lap was exactly the same route as yours, that's the route they use for day 2 tracking (2-day m school). another great write up there. i can see that they changed a few courses.

the m5 track run, ours was much longer (ours extended all the way to the skid pad area as well) and we were able to hit 4th, spacing was a bit better as well, from the video seems like you were too crowded and often had to brake for the car up front.

and yeah, from the video can definitely see how bad the smg shifts. really slow and hard. seeing the video can totally get back how i felt when i was driving the m5 and m6.

it's really nice the guy's wife was able to use the d90 and take all the videos, i guess i will have to see how bad my video is going to be, hahaha...

but yeah, the hot lap was so much fun!!!! it's always nice seeing how these pros drive. really, during the hot lap i was paying close attention to how they drive and how they "look" and how they transition between brakes and gas.... sick!

my m3 lease is ending end of 2011, new m5 is probably out some time late 2011, so that means i will have 1 yr of "vacuum" time?

oh and i also have to thank you doug for talking me into the m cars. zero, absolute zero, regret
Old 03-29-10, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice write-up, Henry. I've sampled and test-driven some Ms over the years, but not under those conditions. That must have been quite an experience. It's neat that you and Dave knew the same instructors.

I still like the 335xi, though....for the money, hands-down my favorite Bimmer for street driving, but, even though I myself haven't had an M3 on a track, there's no question that the M3 would better than the 335 there.
yup, for the money, 335 is an excellent choice. but when it comes to ultimate and pushing the car to the limit, the m3 is just simply a bar or more above the 335. i always tell people, m cars are fast, but to me that's hardly the strong point. it's about the turn and dynamic. done both, and the 335 is no match to m3 (for example)

after the m school i learned a lot and think i improved my driving. i also noticed that driving a fast car doesn't mean you know how to drive. i just wish more m car drives (or high performance car drivers) really drive their cars the way they are supposed to be (when safe). accelerate hard, brake hard. i was surprised to see how many people they don't dare to redline before shifting and brake very hard when you brake -- not even when driving m school cars
Old 03-30-10, 09:23 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Awesome write up Henry. So descriptive and felt like I was there
Old 03-30-10, 09:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats so cool . An experience you will cherish for a very long time. Congrats brother!!
Old 04-01-10, 07:38 PM
CMENTSALES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Wow, cool report! Have any pics of the plane landing experience?
Also got me thinking of the times I've been to the Audi Driving Experience at Fontana. Seems like they do the same type of program, but in a shorter timeframe. Also no cost for it. Pretty trick either way!
Audi runs in Sonoma, CA now at Infineon Racway. Audi Sports Car Experience. A bunch of V10 R8's, S5's, S4's, and TTS's.