Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

On Death Row: Volvo V70, S40 and V50 2.4i/AWD/manual trans, S80 V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Red face On Death Row: Volvo V70, S40 and V50 2.4i/AWD/manual trans, S80 V8

http://kilometermagazine.com/artman2...0_Changes.html

km : Automotive News
Confirmed: Volvo V70 Leaving U.S. This Year, Plus S40, V50, XC70, and S80 Changes
March 25 2010

We've heard rumblings about this for months now, but according to an official Volvo document posted at Jalopnik.com, the Volvo V70's death here in the US has been confirmed. That same document details the short-term future of a few other models as well, and we'll walk you through them all.

Starting with the V70, as we've said, it is dead, at least here in America. It's still quite popular overseas, and will carry on in other markets. The V70 was launched in 1998 as an updated, renamed version of the very popular 850 wagon. The V70 sold well, too, at least until the V70 XC was added after a short time. Later renamed the XC70, as it is badged today, that car has outsold the V70 in the States every year since 2001. While the V70 has gone on losing market share, the XC70 continues to gain it, with a current stat of 40 percent. Additions like the XC90 and now the new XC60 have contributed to the V70's downward sales spiral. Last month (Feb. 2010) Volvo NA sold 1923 combined units of the XC models, compared to just 93 V70s. That's what we call "writing on the wall." But to be fair, Volvo hasn't exactly helped the V70's case by chopping the offerings down to just one, a 3.2-liter I-6 with an automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. Still, the North American V70s will cease production on May 14, with the last units expected to be gone by the third quarter. Those of you in the market should grab one soon, and you'll probably be rewarded with a great deal. Meanwhile, those of you with a V70 R-design--yes, both of you--now officially have collector's items. Be good to them.

Extending a peace offering to V70 loyalists, Volvo has decided to begin importing a simpler, less expensive front-wheel drive XC70 to our market. More information, including any possible fuel economy increases, will be announced when Volvo releases its full 2011MY change points.

volvo-2011my-deaths-km.jpg

On to the S40 and V50, where there's more bad news. A lot of chopping is about to happen with the small car model mix, as the non-turbo 2.4i models will be gone for 2011, along with the option of all-wheel drive and the standard manual transmission. Bummer for those looking for a budget S40, bummer for those in northern climes, and bummer for anyone who cares about driving. Rated at 21/30 mpg, the 2011 T5 will offer the same combined 24 mpg fuel economy of the 2010 2.4i, which is rated at 20/31 mpg. Like all V70s, production on 2.4i models, manual transmissions, and AWD cars will stop on May 14, 2010. There are also rumors that the V50, our market's last traditional Volvo wagon, will likely be killed next year with the arrival of a five-door C30 and XC30 counterpart. That's going to be a dark day for the brand that has kept the wagon flame burning here more than any other for so long. A V60 is in the works to join the Volvo lineup once the S60 has been released, but the odds of it coming to the US seem thinner every day.

Finally, Volvo will be killing the S80 V8 for 2011 as well. The car's T6 engine will get updated to 300 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque, nearly matching the V8's 311 hp and equaling it in torque, making the thirstier V8 completely redundant. Unlike the other models here, you get no warning. S80 V8 production has already ceased, so if you want one you'd better head to the dealer right now. The XC90 is also offered with the V8, and will continue to be since that model doesn't offer a T6 option.

This is all pretty heavy news for Volvo fans, and we suspect that it isn't quite done yet. Expect more changes to come to light as the company prepares to announce its full list of model year changes for 2011. There might be more bad news, but we do expect that some good changes are on

Old 03-25-10, 12:42 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sad that the V70 is getting the axe over there but I guess.....it's inevitable.

With that said:
I don't mind though if the V8 variant is getting the axe. Sure, the Yamaha-made engine is not that bad. It's quite good in fact and good torque range. That and it being exclusive with AWD meant yeah that it promoted AWD. However, I guess stricter fuel economy and emission standards are forcing such changes. Nevertheless, if they do their engine downsizing right, then it won't be much of a loss IMHO.

P.S.
I personally would be happy though if they axed stick shifts variants hehe.
Old 03-25-10, 07:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Volvo drivers were ever too keen on shifting their own gears, as the joke is that Volvo is the car that you buy if you don't like driving.
Old 03-25-10, 08:54 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Im surprised as volvo sells A LOT more 2.4i S40's than T5 or T5 AWD models no less. I had a Volvo S40 T5 AWD and it was a GREAT car. A true forgotten great Turbo AWD sedan
Old 03-25-10, 09:29 PM
LexFather

Sad. Volvo makes cars for enthusiasts and they don't buy them in sufficient levels. S80 is fantastic and now an also ran.

Old 03-27-10, 11:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sad. Volvo makes cars for enthusiasts and they don't buy them in sufficient levels. S80 is fantastic and now an also ran.
Speaking of enthusiast Volvos, I just remembered the S60 R. Hot damn that was an epic car in its time.

Too bad they don't have it now.........but at least they have R-design hehe. .
Old 03-27-10, 12:13 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Speaking of enthusiast Volvos, I just remembered the S60 R. Hot damn that was an epic car in its time.

Too bad they don't have it now.........but at least they have R-design hehe. .
The 850 T5-R was also an epic car of its time. The cannery yellow models always stick out in my mind.
Old 03-27-10, 01:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Indeed. I like the new S60 and the previous S60 R was a nice surprise for me. However, I don't think that auto enthusiasts view Volvo as a contendor. I think that Volvo attracts the kind of enthusiast that wants reliable, long lasting transportation. Which Volvo does well.
Old 03-27-10, 01:48 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Indeed. I like the new S60 and the previous S60 R was a nice surprise for me. However, I don't think that auto enthusiasts view Volvo as a contendor. I think that Volvo attracts the kind of enthusiast that wants reliable, long lasting transportation. Which Volvo does well.
Keep inmind to many auto enthusiasts out there, Lexus still isn't a contender. Volvo definitely does have a very big cult following of die-hards. I still have a 99 C70 HPT coupe that i keep at my parents house to drive when I go back there. I used to roam the Volvo boards a lot, and you'd be surprised at how many people with the turbo models were flashing/swapping ECU's and doing all the performance mods we do to our cars. You are rightthough, in that there is the other type of enthusiast who just likes the safe and long-lasting transpo. Too bad everything they make since they switched to FWD is very prone to reliability problems like many European cars today.
Old 03-27-10, 02:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Keep inmind to many auto enthusiasts out there, Lexus still isn't a contender.
I'm one of them. The LF-A changes all of that, but it isn't a vehicle attainable to the common man...or woman.
Old 03-27-10, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, there are some sport-oriented Volvo enthusiasts in America (the posts in this thread apparantly include a few). But, in general, outside of its traditional safety-oriented/librarian/college-professor/schoolteacher core of buyers, I just don't see a big future for Volvo in the American market. It hasn't caught on with a wide range of American buyers, which have generally bought competing BMW, Audi, and Mercedes products instead. Still, even so, I've gotten a number of review requests for Volvo products over the years....most recently, the XC-90.

Mike (1SICKLEX) and I have speculated, on several occasions, which company would be next to leave the American market. I'm not ready, at this time, to say that Volvo will cut its ties completely (especially now that Saab's future is even more iffy....Volvo could pick up some potential Saab customers), but it's clear that Volvo is simply not going to be a major player anytime soon.

I'm glad, though, that the XC-70 is holding on. My pastor drives one...he had trouble getting Subaru-of-America warranty coverage on his old Outback when he was based in Germany as a military chaplain, so he bought an XC-70 instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-10 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 10:10 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

How do you think Geely's acquisition will affect the model lineup?
Old 03-28-10, 10:15 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly Geely wants to push Volvo even more upmarket.
Old 03-28-10, 10:20 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I used have a soft spot for 90's volvo. it's too bad that volvo is becoming more like Saab. they now have to drastically change their marketing strategy. i would reposition the brand so they are 'luxury' version of Subaru like brand.
Old 03-28-10, 11:48 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I had a 96 850R wagon.

It hauled everything when we had young kids.

When the turbo spooled up on the highway it was a passing fiend.

After about 6 years it turned into a repair shop addict and i gave it up.

Being part of Ford killed Volvo (except for the use of the Yamaha V8).

Quick Reply: On Death Row: Volvo V70, S40 and V50 2.4i/AWD/manual trans, S80 V8