Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion iQ debuts in New York (pg. 5)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 03:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
smart cars are not diesel.

they're 1.0L 3-cylinder petrol engines.
My mistake. I got mixed up with the Canadian market as a lot of Smart cars here are CDI models.

The iQ will still be more efficient than the Smart, making it the most fuel efficient gasoline engine car.
Old 04-01-10, 03:46 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I can see why it might be expected.

Remember though that the iQ isn't a whole lot lighter than a Yaris and it is actually LESS aerodynamic. The front ends of the iQ and Smart are very blunt and on the highway becomes a hindrance. Most of the benefit of a car this small is seen in the city.

Even it's 1.3 liter 90 hp engine isn't that much smaller than the Yaris so why would it get that much more. On a side note, this 1.3 and even a 1.0 (70 hp) is available in the Yaris outside of the US.
I dunno. All of that makes vehicles like the iQ really redundant. I'm with 1SICK in that a car that's 30% smaller than a Yaris should be 30% more fuel efficient

Yeah I know things don't work out that way technically, but perception is everything. Most that people see a car the size of a golf cart and are going to expect it to get out of this world gas mileage.
Old 04-01-10, 03:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I dunno. All of that makes vehicles like the iQ really redundant. I'm with 1SICK in that a car that's 30% smaller than a Yaris should be 30% more fuel efficient

Yeah I know things don't work out that way technically, but perception is everything. Most that people see a car the size of a golf cart and are going to expect it to get out of this world gas mileage.
The iQ is going to get combined fuel economy that is roughly 20% better than a US Yaris.

You're right, perception is pretty much everything, that's why having a city mpg number in the mid-30s, and a highway mpg number in the 40s will do A LOT for perception. People will think the iQ is possibly a hybrid with numbers like that.
Old 04-01-10, 05:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I like it too but I disagree that it should come fully modded in stock form. Scion's are blank slates for the owner to personalize as uniquely as possible. Plus when it already comes looking custom, you polarize it.
I wouldn't call that fully modded. Far from it. That barely has more tacked on than a corolla s or camry SE.

I'm sure something as nice looking as that would make an even better blank slate.

Will it come with Toyota Optimal drive as it does in the UK?
Old 04-01-10, 06:55 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The iQ is going to get combined fuel economy that is roughly 20% better than a US Yaris.

You're right, perception is pretty much everything, that's why having a city mpg number in the mid-30s, and a highway mpg number in the 40s will do A LOT for perception. People will think the iQ is possibly a hybrid with numbers like that.
If the Focus/Fiesta and Cruze hit the magical 40mpg number, then the iQ would look a whole lot less special and practical.
Old 04-01-10, 08:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I wouldn't call that fully modded. Far from it. That barely has more tacked on than a corolla s or camry SE.

I'm sure something as nice looking as that would make an even better blank slate.
How much more could you add to this car before it looks ridiculously ricey?
(excluding hidden performance mods)

It's already got 18"(?) wheels, overstated wide bodykit/bumper, custom headlights/LED fogs, ect..

Only thing missing is an over sized rear spoiler and stickers.
Attached Thumbnails Scion iQ debuts in New York (pg. 5)-iq_mod_f34-prv.jpg  
Old 04-01-10, 09:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

How much more could you add to this car before it looks ridiculously ricey?
(excluding hidden performance mods)

It's already got 18"(?) wheels, overstated wide bodykit/bumper, custom headlights/LED fogs, ect..

Only thing missing is an over sized rear spoiler and stickers.
forget the wheels. Insignificant detail. Forget the LEDs in the bumper as well. I wouldn't call that a wide body kit either. Seriously?

You think that is ricey?.... lol, ok, whatever.

In any case, to answer your question, I think a lot could be done before it crossed that line. For example

Old 04-01-10, 10:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If the Focus/Fiesta and Cruze hit the magical 40mpg number, then the iQ would look a whole lot less special and practical.
That may be the case. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 04-02-10, 02:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i wonder how disappointed they will be when they dont get those 40 mpg in real life driving ;-).

in european real life driving cycles, difference between iQ and Focus is 30%-40%.
Old 04-02-10, 02:31 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Think of the modding potential!!!

Should be rebadged as a Lexus. I bet that might happen, but it will be open to only LFA owners.
Old 04-02-10, 04:10 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

forget the wheels. Insignificant detail. Forget the LEDs in the bumper as well. I wouldn't call that a wide body kit either. Seriously?

You think that is ricey?.... lol, ok, whatever.

In any case, to answer your question, I think a lot could be done before it crossed that line. For example

We're talking about all the mods on the gray iQ and then you say to ignore them? Those wheels/tires are a $2K mod. Not insignificant. And the kit is a wide body - notice the much wider fenders? The stock fenders are flat. I didn't say it was ricey but if much more was done it may start looking that way. As is, I like it.

The lime green one, which was shown last year as the speculative Scion version, I do like better. That one still, isn't much more "modded" than the gray one except that the kit is pushed a step further.
Old 04-02-10, 06:36 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

We're talking about all the mods on the gray iQ and then you say to ignore them? Those wheels/tires are a $2K mod. Not insignificant. And the kit is a wide body - notice the much wider fenders? The stock fenders are flat. I didn't say it was ricey but if much more was done it may start looking that way. As is, I like it.

The lime green one, which was shown last year as the speculative Scion version, I do like better. That one still, isn't much more "modded" than the gray one except that the kit is pushed a step further.
**sigh**

The gray iq has over fenders. That is far from a widebody kit imo.

If it makes you feel better, leave the wheels and leds off that grey iq, and that is what I think it should look like stock. Is that so hard to get through to you? The iQ stock as is, looks DRAB and my point is Scion could have done a MUCH BETTER JOB.

Capisci?

Or do you just feel like debating for no reason?
Old 04-02-10, 08:25 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

**sigh**

The gray iq has over fenders. That is far from a widebody kit imo.

If it makes you feel better, leave the wheels and leds off that grey iq, and that is what I think it should look like stock. Is that so hard to get through to you? The iQ stock as is, looks DRAB and my point is Scion could have done a MUCH BETTER JOB.

Capisci?

Or do you just feel like debating for no reason?
We're not debating for no reason. In fact, car forums exist for the very reason to exchange opinions and talk about cars. No?

I'm simply responding to the idea that you seem to expect $3000-$4,000 in visual mods to come stock on a $12-$13k car. Unless you want this micro-car to start at over $15K I'm not seeing your argument.

Stock cars are also purposely given a neutral inoffensive look. A lot of people don't like aggressive body kits. That's why it's left to the aftermarket.

Just to be clear, I also prefer the modded ones posted. I just believe they should be left simple for personalization and for realistic economic reasons.
Old 04-02-10, 08:35 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Ugly as crap
Old 04-02-10, 09:05 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

oh man this thing has 10 airbags? Imagine if they all deployed at the same times....no room for its passengers on the inside

Quick Reply: Scion iQ debuts in New York (pg. 5)