Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do Cars feel slower when you're driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 06:32 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do Cars feel slower when you're driving?

Hey guys, i have always wondered this. Does a car 'feel' faster when your in the passenger seat compared when your driving? I've noticed that other cars i've riden in feel alot faster than mine, but i beat them in a race. Maybe because when your driving you can hold on to the steering wheel and such so you absorb more g's? IDK Does anybody have any input because my car doesnt feel as fast as it is too me.
Old 03-25-10, 06:41 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think because you have control of the car and are busy, you are anticipating the actions of the car. You are also looking ahead and your field of view is changing more slowly than a person looking out a side window. The same reasons you feel the car is moving more slowly is why only passengers tend to get motion sick - not the driver.
Old 03-25-10, 06:42 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being the passenger in a car always gives the illusion of going faster, especially when sitting in the back seat.

Part of it is the lack of control. Part of it is that you're looking to the side more as a passenger where things seem to fly by faster.
Old 03-25-10, 09:24 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely stems from the lack of control. I've always felt I drive slow, and my passengers are hanging on for dear life.
Old 03-26-10, 01:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i know what you mean felixsc300. my parents especially think im going way too fast on city streets, even though they can clearly see my spedometer near the speed limit. it doesnt help with every resonance from my exhaust either!
Old 03-26-10, 06:10 AM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever my parents tag along there comes up a time where they say "slow down." I tell them to look at the speedo and it's at or below the speed limit... I don't usually feel as if im going THAT fast but a passenger's view and mind will be concentrated on different things than the drivers.
Old 12-13-10, 11:26 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks again for the posts guys. The reason i asked this was that when all my friends go for a ride in my car they all comment on how quick it is. To me it doesn't seem as fast as they are explaining it to be. So there is a different feeling being a passenger in the car compared to the one being the driver. It's good to know that my car is actually "faster" than i think it is.
Old 12-13-10, 03:29 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the "control" argument, but I'd also add that the particular vehicle that you're controlling (as the driver) makes a difference; the better the car the less the sensation of speed. For example, I was going 80 mph in a Dodge Caliber rental, and it probably felt like 80 mph to my passengers. However, I was scared to death since the steering was numb and the brakes were horrible, so I felt like I was going 100!
Old 12-13-10, 03:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It feels faster when the wind is in my hair, like when driving in a convertible.
Old 12-13-10, 09:26 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup ... even my IS250 feels fast when my friend is driving
Old 12-14-10, 04:47 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with everyone here. My friend told me that the LS430 snapped his head back into the headrest when I floored it (I do feel a nice push, but it certainly doesn't throw my head back). Keep in mind that most of your guy's cars are probably putting out more horsepower than the avg non car enthusiast owner has ever experienced. This will make the experience that much different for them.

The loudness of the car also has an effect. I was a passenger in my friend's Mitsubishi 3000 GT a few yrs ago. He was doing around posted speeds on the highway, then dropped 2 gears and floored it. It felt ridculous, like someone had punched me in the back (probably b/c he didn't rev match his downshifts). I thought we were going the speed of sound, but he said we only hit 95 or so. The car had a loud exhaust and chip, my friend estimates it puts out 280 hp.
Old 12-14-10, 08:42 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The smoothness of the driving plays a role too. I can go 120mph down the highway but keep the car smooth and steady and it'll feel like 80mph. Only difference is the wind noise is louder and things move by faster.
Old 12-14-10, 08:48 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what everyone else said above. it's control. also you're looking far ahead and not to the side.
Old 12-15-10, 11:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

It always feels faster when I'm a passenger because my friends all speed and race everything with wheels. They can make a Civic feel like a Corvette sometimes.

I do agree about the control and anticipation aspects though.
Old 12-15-10, 12:32 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Great to hear everybody's input! How much of a difference do you think it makes though in comparison between being the driver and being a passenger. My car feels pretty quick driving, but i've never been passenger in it before. I wonder if it would feel noticeably quicker than i'm used to.

Quick Reply: Do Cars feel slower when you're driving?