Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 09:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)

Ford Motor Co. will unveil a hybrid version of its Lincoln MKZ sedan Wednesday at the New York International Auto Show, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

It will be the first luxury hybrid offered by the Dearborn automaker, which was the first U.S. manufacturer to bring hybrids to market in 2004.

Ford already offers hybrid versions of the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. The hybrid Lincoln MKZ will be built off the same platform.

Other than the gasoline-electric powertrain and different badging, it will be identical to the regular gasoline version of the midsize sedan.

"I thought they should have done it before," said Chris Lemley, who owns several dealerships in the Boston metropolitan area. "I'm glad they're doing it now."
He believes Ford may be able to take advantage of consumer concerns over recent recalls of competing products from Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury Lexus brand.

"It depends on how fast they can get it to us," Lemley said. "I'm also hoping that it will be priced competitively."

That will be key, according to analyst Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics LLP in Birmingham. While he said the new midsize sedan will fill a noticeable gap in Ford's hybrid lineup, he is concerned it will offer too little differentiation.

"It's basically a Fusion, and that's my concern," he said. "They better have something that makes it better than the drive train in the Fusion."

He and other analysts also point out that Ford's ability to get hybrid powertrains from its suppliers is limited. Adding another model does not mean the company will be able to add sales.

"All it does is reallocate it," Hall said. "But it does reallocate it to a car they can sell for a higher price -- theoretically."
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0jNc0Ox3Y

A smart move for Ford, as the leg work is already done on the Fusion. ...I don't understand why there isn't an ES hybrid. Even if the MKZ is identitical to the Fusion it will still sell. A midsize luxury hybrid that people can afford, presumably. However, if Ford doesn't have access to hybrid components it seems that they will be slow going into the future.
Old 03-27-10, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

"It's basically a Fusion, and that's my concern," he said. "They better have something that makes it better than the drive train in the Fusion."
The MKZ has features that, at least partially, justify its higher price over the Fusion/Milan......not only more standard equipment, but, IMO, a MUCH nicer interior. For the price, however, it should have a wider color choice.
Old 03-27-10, 10:15 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I worked with a woman who the first MY of the MKZ and I think it def. has a Lexus quality interior. It has even recently peaked my dad's interest. And he wants another hybrid. This could be it.
Old 03-27-10, 01:05 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0jNc0Ox3Y

A smart move for Ford, as the leg work is already done on the Fusion. ...I don't understand why there isn't an ES hybrid. Even if the MKZ is identitical to the Fusion it will still sell. A midsize luxury hybrid that people can afford, presumably. However, if Ford doesn't have access to hybrid components it seems that they will be slow going into the future.
Well they do have the HS...
Old 03-27-10, 01:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Well they do have the HS...
Oh I know. And I think it is a fine car, but the MKZ is considerably larger.
Old 03-27-10, 03:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MKZ needs all the help it can get in todays market, so this is a plus.
Old 03-27-10, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I might (?) check one out in my spare time, though I haven't gotten a specific review request, and probably won't write it up. But it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Lexus HS, which I did write-up. I had an extremely high opinion of the Fusion Hybrid, though, in my review, and this car promises to only be better, with a more-plush interior.
Old 03-27-10, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
MKZ needs all the help it can get in todays market, so this is a plus.
It will be interesting to see if Lincoln engineers find a way to combine the MKZ's hybrid system with the AWD.....the article doesn't say. That version, if we get one, will no doubt have a high price, but may (?) be worth it.

The MKZ, hybrid or not, does seem to be benefitting from Lincoln's new-found commitment to AWD as an option in its sedans. That's something that previous Lincoln sedans, such as the RWD Town Car, FWD Continental, and RWD LS sorely lacked.

The former FWD Continental, IMO, was not a very impressive product, being essentially a stretched version of the old V6 Taurus/Sable platform before the Five Hundred/Montego came out.

The LS was all-around competent (and generally got high marks from Consumer Reports), but suffered from poor marketing such a lack of V8/manual despite being directed at the BMW 5-series (the V6 version, for a while, did offer a manual). Its reliablilty was also spotty.

The Town Car had the traditional soft, quiet Lincoln ride (but also mushy handling), and was not very space-efficient inside, despite its large exterior size.

And none of these cars offered AWD, as both the MKZ and MKS now do. Lincoln now realizes that AWD is becoming more and more expected on upmarket sedans (at least as an option), though, of course, not everyone lives in climates that really need it.
Old 03-27-10, 04:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It will be interesting to see if Lincoln engineers find a way to combine the MKZ's hybrid system with the AWD.....the article doesn't say. That version, if we get one, will no doubt have a high price, but may (?) be worth it.
Interesting thought, IMO that idea would best be applied to crossover/SUV-type vehicle, because I would certainly consider it.
Old 03-27-10, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Interesting thought, IMO that idea would best be applied to crossover/SUV-type vehicle, because I would certainly consider it.
For the car-based Lincoln SUVs, though (MKX, MKT), a hybrid drivetrain would have to be beefy enough for heavier loads/towing capacity than a regular MKZ sedan would be expected to handle. The Navigator, of course, would be out of the question for a hybrid powerplant this size, even unloaded....it is simply too heavy. A larger, beefier hybrid drivetrain would have to be developed......similiar to (but more advanced) than the quasi-hybrid GM Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Denali hybrids, which is basically just an engine start/stop system.
Old 03-27-10, 07:41 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a leased 07 AWD MKZ that I'll be returning shortly. The car has about 41K miles and has been completely reliable. The interior is a bit tight, but the trunk is quite large, much bigger than that of a CTS or STS. The AWD system is OK, but not great on roads where the center is clear and right side is icy. Average MPG, for me, with about 90% highway driving, is a bit under 24 per the display. The biggest problems with the car for me is that it looks too Fusion on the interior and the leather is of low quality. Both of these items have supposedly be fixed in the current version.
Old 03-27-10, 11:39 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Not to mention the MKZ is exceptional value, 2010 models are selling for well under 30k on eBay.
Old 03-28-10, 01:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I have spent some time in an MKZ and I didnt find it up to Lexus standards. It felt more like a fancy Ford with a plain body. But I nod any hybrid effort and wish Lexus would offer hybrid IS and ES's.
Old 03-28-10, 01:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The MKZ has features that, at least partially, justify its higher price over the Fusion/Milan......not only more standard equipment, but, IMO, a MUCH nicer interior. For the price, however, it should have a wider color choice.
Its a solid effort but not the best effort. The Fusion/MKZ/Milan all look too similar in overall shape. The same body different front/ends is really the old rebadge/platform share method.

Lincoln also was idiotic to call the call the Zepher for a year then rename it MKZ.

That said, I think it is smart to have a hybrid, I mean why not. What is shocking is the MKZ price. It starts at 35k and I find that to be pretty high.

Old 03-28-10, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a solid effort but not the best effort. The Fusion/MKZ/Milan all look too similar in overall shape. The same body different front/ends is really the old rebadge/platform share method.

Lincoln also was idiotic to call the call the Zepher for a year then rename it MKZ.

That said, I think it is smart to have a hybrid, I mean why not. What is shocking is the MKZ price. It starts at 35k and I find that to be pretty high.

Agreed on the senseless renaming. It's obviously the same platform as the Fusion/Milan, but the large, grinning, bucktooth grille and plush, classic Lincoln-syle interior do a lot to separate it. That's not a bad price when you figure that, for 36K, it comes with AWD......you can spend 36K nowadays on an Outback, Venza, or Crosstour. The 34-36K MKZ base prices are also roughly equal with comparable IS, ES, and HS models from Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-10 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)