Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Accent exposed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 01:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

ANYTHING is better than the current frump job, so they can't go wrong. But I'm starting to get real nervous about Hyundai's new grille theme. They seem to be getting on the Acura chrome bar bandwagon- first with yesterday's exposed Sonata hybrid and now this. Hyundai is known for copying popular designs, but to copy an failed Acura trait is disappointing and comical.
Old 03-28-10, 02:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awkward having such sleek and rakish styling cues on a small car.

It also looks too big to be an Accent. If that really is the next-gen Accent, then the next-gen Elantra will be very similar in size to this Accent. Not exactly a good thing in terms of product differentiation.

I also see some Mazda "happy face" styling cues in the front end.
Old 03-28-10, 02:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Looks awkward having such sleek and rakish styling cues on a small car.

It also looks too big to be an Accent. If that really is the next-gen Accent, then the next-gen Elantra will be very similar in size to this Accent. Not exactly a good thing in terms of product differentiation.

I also see some Mazda "happy face" styling cues in the front end.
I agree with all your setiments. Swoopy roofs on compacts really cut into rear headroom. And the front is kind of obnoxious. The headlight looks as big as the wheel. This is going to take a lot of getting used to.
Old 03-28-10, 08:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I strongly disagree, joe. This version of the Accent was anything BUT a turd. Yes, its short wheelbase and small wheels/tires gave it a rather jittery ride compared to the smoother Elantra and Sonata, and it was a little sluggish with the automatic transmission. But.....was competent, reliable, well-built, well-finished, economical, had an attractive interior (in the two-tone version), and extremely well-done controls/gauges. It was an excellent value for the money (with incentives, generally 15K or less, out the door), and was a new car I highly recommended for those without a lot of cash to spend. In fact, I helped a few people, myself, shop for and buy one, and, so far, they have been very pleased.....one of them uses it as a daily, long-distance commuter car and puts some 40K miles a year on it. The new Accent will have its work cut out for it if it wants to live up to the old one.
I tend to agree. Some may be surprised that the Accent is currently the best selling sub-compact in the US. More than Yaris, Fit and Versa although it just took over recently. Both the Yaris and Versa have held the title the last couple of years.

Sure, the styling is bland but still very likable. It's a well built bargain priced car with a 100K warranty. An attractive proposition for many.

A "turd" would define the first and to a lesser extent the second generation Accent.
Old 03-28-10, 08:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
maybe it should be your next car. it looks better than what you are driving.
Joe, you know better than to make inappropriate personal commentary. This forum is a discussion about cars, not a judgement on other members for what they choose to drive.

This thread is closed.