Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

sunroof repair cost???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10 | 03:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Of course I dont mind LOL, thats what the boards are for.

I would suggest if you are looking to go the performance route, you get with me or someone else who knows their stuff, and learn EVERYTHING they will teach you. Hondas are easy once you learn them, and there are an ABUNDANCE of parts available, but if you dont know what you are doing, a honda can be your worst nightmare.

Get me some pix of the car when you can. I would love to help with this. here is what i would do:

Manual trans/B16 or B18 (i prefer the 18) swap (right off the bat, very first thing i would do). this swap is cheap and can be done inside a week on roughly $1000 budget, if you dont mind a higher mileage engine/trans. Ideal would be $2000. Funny thing about honda's though. Unlike most other cars, engine swapped honda's net you MORE money than stock ones when you go to sell, especially if you sell within the enthusaists circle.

If you want to go turbo, the B18 is perfect for that, but dont do anything that drastic with an auto. A manual swap in a civic is easy and cheap if you DIY it
Old 03-30-10 | 05:56 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you kiddin'? could be destroyed by glue depending on what kind of glue, how much was used, etc.

personally i have zero interest in sunroofs so it wouldn't bother me if it was glued shut.
Living in Florida and sunroofs are of no use to you?!
Old 03-30-10 | 09:10 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Of course I dont mind LOL, thats what the boards are for.

I would suggest if you are looking to go the performance route, you get with me or someone else who knows their stuff, and learn EVERYTHING they will teach you. Hondas are easy once you learn them, and there are an ABUNDANCE of parts available, but if you dont know what you are doing, a honda can be your worst nightmare.

Get me some pix of the car when you can. I would love to help with this. here is what i would do:

Manual trans/B16 or B18 (i prefer the 18) swap (right off the bat, very first thing i would do). this swap is cheap and can be done inside a week on roughly $1000 budget, if you dont mind a higher mileage engine/trans. Ideal would be $2000. Funny thing about honda's though. Unlike most other cars, engine swapped honda's net you MORE money than stock ones when you go to sell, especially if you sell within the enthusaists circle.

If you want to go turbo, the B18 is perfect for that, but dont do anything that drastic with an auto. A manual swap in a civic is easy and cheap if you DIY it
hoepfully i get it this weekend, yeah i know i need the manual tranny in order to go a nice route for engine mods. this car gonna be my daily driver im not sure if i want to go as far as a tubro and swap for this car. i still have to get me another GS before anything. least i know modding the civic gonna be cheap. how hard is it to converte a auto to a manual????? i was thinking about going as far as headers, intake, exhaust, lowering springs, rims, tint, just the basics for now to get a nice start. i know me, once i get started imma keep going i might just set up for a swap and go from there. but if i was to keep that engine you thing a supercharger will work well on that B16
Old 03-31-10 | 01:34 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

A b16 is a VERY strong motor. It will handle an S/C, but with it being a DD, you would want to go turbo rather than S/C for fuel economy.

If the lower end has never been rebuilt, and it has more than 50,000 miles on it, you will need the following before you should even think of a turbo.

The head is fairly new, so:

Piston rings
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings

Thats at a minimum. If you are shooting for over 300 FWHP out of a B16, you also need

Forged Turbo Pistons (have the depressed top on the piston)
Forged Rods
Either a Forged or Cryo Treated Crankshaft
New cam

Needless to say, by the time you do all of this, It will be cheaper to get a low mileage JDM B18 (stronger block) shipped right to your door and swap it in. Long Block (COMPLETE, ready to install) B18's can be had for roughly $500 shipped if you know where to look.

For a Manual trans swap, your locak pick-a-part yard, and ebay motors will end up being your best friend. There are a few ways to go about doing this conversion: 1 is fast and easy, but expensive. The other is cheap, but more of a pain in the rear. I have done them both ways. Either way, you will need the ECU for a manual trans B18 (should you go that route) or B16 (if you decide to keep the 1.6l) civic. You will also need a professional tuner or a computer program and some tricks to get it to run right if you turbo. If you just want a stock B18/5 speed manual swap, no turbo, barebones for bolt ons only, with a manual trans, here is what you will need.

Option 1 (easy but a little more money):

Usually you can buy the B18 engine, with a 5 speed manual trans, differential, and halfshafts, already bolted to the subframe, from somewhere online. when it arrives from Japan, it will be in a giant crate, but it will be (More or less) ready to put in. If you go that route, it comes with the ECU and wiring harnesses already. And if you are really lucky, the harnesses and ECU already have the nessecary modifications, so all you have to do is bolt in, reattach your front suspension and match up the plugs on the wiring harnesses. This in Total can be had for between $1,500 and $2000...a little higher if you go with a completely rebuilt engine and trans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2-Mix and Match (less money, more fun, but more time consuming),

Search long and hard for the following parts individually
-Engine of your choice (as low as $500 but expect ~$1,000, by far the most expensive part of the swap).
-clutch (depends on what you want, if nothing really fancy, OEM replacement clutches through ebay or even autozone run as low as $100, but if you want a performance clutch, $250-$500 range)
-5 speed manual transmission (can be had low mileage, used for as little as $50-$100 if you have a pick a part yard near you, otherwise online for $250 used, or around $500 rebuilt.)
-clutch pedal assy, hydralic lines, linkage and Clutch master cylinder from a 5 speed civic/integra GSR.
-halfshafts
-ECU for B18/5speed
-Front subframe for a B18/5speed civic/integra
-engine and trans mounts
-alot of time and alot of effort.

Option 3 (Most expensive, but best bet if you arent capable of anything more than bolt ons):

-Step 1: Drive car to Tuner Shop of your choice as is.
-Step 2: tell them you want a B18/5speed swap
-Step 3: come back in 2 months (if they have to wait for parts)
-Step 4: Write a check for $3500-$5000 (depending on their labor rates, if you want a performance B18/5 speed swap, built motor/trans, turbo, the works, netting roughly 380-450hp, expect to pay at least $5,000)
-Step 5: Drive away in your retardedly fast civic.

But by far the CHEAPEST option for your DD, is going to be Option 4:

-Rebuild your current engine top to bottom (block/head reubild kits are around $350 total).
-5 speed manual trans/ECU from a B16 manual civic (or you can have your old one reflashed) ~$100
-Subframe from a B16 Manual civic (or you can do custom trans mounts on your subframe to fit the manny tranny either way will cost roughly the same unless you do your own metal work)~$50-300
-clutch pedal, lines, master cyl, linkage from a manual civic $200? maybe more...
-center console for manual tranny civic
-trans linkage
-manual tranny shift tower

and a few other bits and pieces. Hardest part about this is going from auto to manual, and thats pretty easy in a civic.

If it was me, I would go all out, and DIY learning as i go, with a friend or 2. Take your time and have fun with it.

In any case, keeping your B16 and converting to manual is going to be your cheapest bet, but a B18/5 (or 6) speed swap from an integra GSR would be awesome.
Old 03-31-10 | 10:47 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Holy Hondas Batman! They're cheap as hell to fix! Lucky guy getting a 94 Civic, I look around and they're at least $1k for a decent DX trim!
Old 03-31-10 | 01:17 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

lol wow i didn't know that 94 honda civics was such a hot item, i feel proud now today i visit the civic for the first time, the paint job came out so good but the sunroof is a big issue now. well for the past few days it's been raining like crazy, today was the actual nice day we had in a while. like i picture'd in my mind the sunroof was glued shut and painted over which i didn't mind untill i seen drips of water coming from the power sunroof button. i guess now it's a must to get it fixed before the water damage the interior (mildew, mold, bad smell ) I need headlights and corner lights so i guess i can shop for a set of jdm black housing headlights with either the amber or smoked/clear corner lights or i guess a set of halo projectors, ugh decisions
Old 04-01-10 | 01:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

go with HID's and projectors.

and get that glue/paint removed so we can see the underlying issue!

If you are willing to put forth the time, and the effort, this can be a very nice car for not much money.

To start, Pull the headliner out. you should be able to get a better idea of the damage from that point. Take a few digi-pix for me if you can.
Old 04-06-10 | 08:33 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

yea i just gotta find time OC detailer, with me working two jobs and taking my future with to thearpy (car accident) it's a bit to much for me right now. but i would love to take that car apart and do all the work myself but being my schedule is complex right now sucks!!! anyways i thought you would get more gas mileage on a S/C opposed to a Turbo car? i guess you learn something new each day
Old 04-09-10 | 02:21 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Try checking out honda-tech, they have a lot of good information over there. I also have a '94 civic (hatchback SI), its such a fun car!
Old 04-09-10 | 11:20 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

lol im stupid, why i didn't search for a honda forum. thanks jsl 757. by the way, im looking at ur sig and i gotta say thats a bad a$$ sc430 you got there. what kinda kit you rocking? thats a Auto Conture? im trying to talk my girl into getting an Sc430, but she stuck on this Honda S2k bid.

o yea ocdetailer, how hard ( or how much it cost) to convert a automatic set up to a 5spd?
Old 04-10-10 | 09:55 AM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Thanks Str8, its actually a Wald kit. Nothing wrong with a S2k, thats on my list of cars I want to own one day.
Old 04-10-10 | 10:31 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

depends on where you get your stuff, could be as cheap as $500 or as expensive as $1500-$2000.
Old 04-10-10 | 10:39 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

i don't think i can run a manual tranny in myself so i guess i gotta get a n expert on the job.

what year is your Sc430 jsl757? the S2k is a very very very very nice car the problem is my big a$$ can't fit!!!! so thats why i suggest the Sc430 to my girl, the top can come down (which she likes) and i can fit (which I like)