Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

sunroof repair cost???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 09:29 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof repair cost???

I've recently purchase a 1994 honda civic 4 door automatic as an everyday driver, everything is cool on the car except the power sunroof. well the my girlfriend's father (in which i purchase the car from) told me the pervious owner of the car "glued" the sunroof shut because water leaked in everytime it rained also the sunroof never shut 100% close as well. i would like to get this fix but not sure if its worth the cost. from my knowledge i know i need a new weather strip, maybe a new track depends how much of the glue damage the lining from what i know. if anyone familiar with cost of repairing sunroof please chime in on the thread. im from Central Jersey so if you know any shops i can look into i will appericate that as well, thanks
Old 03-28-10, 11:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

ooo....sunroofs can be pricey. Take it to your local honda dealer and have them look at it if you are unsure. Otherwise, i go through this site for all my parts:

www.collegehillshonda.com

They have unbeatable prices. If you want just the weatherstrip and rails i would imagine somewhere on the order of $500, but you may want to just go ahead and replace the motor too, since you are in there, in which case you can prolly get that for around $80 more.
Old 03-28-10, 11:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

junk yard?
Old 03-28-10, 12:09 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

well im not sure how much damage has been done to the roof due to the glue but it can't be that bad right??? well the previous owner informed me that the roof didn't close all the way up so with that being said a maybe i just need a new motor?
Old 03-28-10, 12:11 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
ooo....sunroofs can be pricey. Take it to your local honda dealer and have them look at it if you are unsure. Otherwise, i go through this site for all my parts:

www.collegehillshonda.com

They have unbeatable prices. If you want just the weatherstrip and rails i would imagine somewhere on the order of $500, but you may want to just go ahead and replace the motor too, since you are in there, in which case you can prolly get that for around $80 more.
i think my car is a little bit to old for that site
Old 03-28-10, 03:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Str8 VIP
well im not sure how much damage has been done to the roof due to the glue but it can't be that bad right??? well the previous owner informed me that the roof didn't close all the way up so with that being said a maybe i just need a new motor?
you kiddin'? could be destroyed by glue depending on what kind of glue, how much was used, etc.

personally i have zero interest in sunroofs so it wouldn't bother me if it was glued shut.

if it didn't close right before though that could have been from simply not being adjusted right rather than a bad motor. but really, the best option is just to replace the whole thing.
Old 03-28-10, 03:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

moved to car chat.
Old 03-28-10, 08:45 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

dam i guess getting this thing fix gonna be worth more then i actually paid for the car.
Old 03-29-10, 12:40 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

not nessecarily. Its very easy to fix a sunroof, just depends on whats wrong with it. try removing the glue. you know at a minimum you are going to have to replace the weatherstrip, so cut it, and see if the motor works. if it doesnt, check your fuses. I would be willing to bet it just needs an adjustment, new rails at most.
Old 03-29-10, 01:08 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

i haven't looked at it physically because its down in south jersey and i haven't had time to pick it up due to work and all. hopefully the motor is good, all i would have to worry about is getting aligned and a new weather strip. OCdetailer, i hope your right because i don't want to dish out $1000 on a car i pretty much worth a few hundred dollars. besides i got it for free so you know how that goes
Old 03-29-10, 01:20 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

you got a 94 civic for free? other than the sunroof, is it in good shape? how many miles?

thats a frickin excellent deal. if you pull the headliner down, all the sunroof components are sooooo easy to get at. its really simple to repair. Even if you have to replace the glass, rails, motor, and weatherstrip, it shouldnt run more than a few hundred with properly sourced parts. Hell i know a few guys that will put a sunroof in a car that never had one for $500!

if its anywhere near decent condition, its worth at least $2,500. Civics hold their value astonishingly well. A friend of mine just sold his 1996 EX sedan for $4200, with 143,000 miles. it was MINT though.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-29-10 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 03:26 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might get lucky and nothing is wrong with the sunroof mechanism at all. The previous owner probably was getting wet because the drain tubes were all clogged at the bottom causing the water to not drain from the sunroof area. Go under the car by the wheel wells I believe, find the tubes, clear out the clog and you might be fully operational again. Provided that glue didn't run the rubber seals.

If not, good luck. It really isn't that hard to realign. If the motor works then you may just need new seals and realign it to close all the way provided it really didn't close 100% to begin with.
Old 03-29-10, 08:47 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

i believe the car have 219,000 miles on it or so, but the top head have been replace (or rebuild) so i guess u can say it's fairly new. actually its my girlfriends dad and im trading him my 90 honda accord sedan with 109,000 on the dash. reason im doing so because after i get my windshield, exhaust, cv boot replaced it will cost a nice amount in order to pass Pa. inspection. hopefully i can get the car sometime this week if not this weekend so i can get a jump on that sunroof. by the way thanks for y'all advice, i guess once i acutally take it apart i will be back for help to get walked through incase i need it. now i just gotta deal with my 2003 honda accord, it was involved in a hit and run right infront of my house. Man that car is such a jinx. i wanna get rid of that thing but just can't get it off my hands
Old 03-30-10, 01:31 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

If you want me to take a look at it for you this summer I will be happy to. Its a bit of a drive tho (about 5-6 hrs) to upstate NY. But I will help you fix it at no charge, if indeed it can be fixed. if the car is in good running order, it should only take you a tank of gas to get there and a tank to get back. You have free room, food and beer at my place for a weekend .

Honda's are like rolling legos. So incredibly easy to take apart and put back together, yet they last ages. Is there any rust on the car?

EDIT: I just checked, even in only half-decent shape (looks ok, not great and is still 100% driveable), its still worth $2100 on the low side and $3900 on the high side. and thats with 200,000 (est) on the ODO and in fair condition.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-30-10 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-30-10, 01:42 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

OC deatailer that cool of you man, imma defintiely keep that in mind. actually the car just recieve a new paint job, it's a midnite blue which was the original color. actually i see your a civic fan, so would u mind if i come to you for tips on how to mod my civic. i would like to go for a jdm look. don't have plans for boost but i do have plans for built performace upgrades, the car is a automatic but i think it has a B16 Vtec in it so might be fun to have as an everyday driver

Quick Reply: sunroof repair cost???