Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I'm with a buddy in his wife's '09 Equinox Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 09:14 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I prefer to check the tire pressure myself. Period.
Agreed! That's why I took out those annoying power window and door lock switches and replaced them with much more convenient cranks. My project this weekend will be to remove my pesky air conditioner before the summer comes.
Old 03-29-10, 09:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
Agreed! That's why I took out those annoying power window and door lock switches and replaced them with much more convenient cranks. My project this weekend will be to remove my pesky air conditioner before the summer comes.
Oh my...
Old 03-29-10, 12:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's nice but not a deal killer or deal maker. Any TPMS with some sort of warning for a low pressure tire I find to be useful.
Old 03-29-10, 10:11 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
That feature requires RF sensors in each wheel. They work great until you:

- Realize that the reading can be wildly wrong
- Rotate your tires and need to lower and raise the tire pressure in each wheel to reset the system
- Buy winter tires & wheels and add about $80 per wheel for a sensor - and fiddle with the tire pressure to reset the system so it learns where the tires are twice a year.

I prefer having no TPMS or the simpler system that uses the ABS system and no wheel sensors.
Since Lexus uses the TPMS sensors, and those sensors relay when a tire is low on pressure, and they are all registered independently in the car's computer, there is really no reason why the car couldn't tell you which tire is low, and guesstimate the pressure (or not).

Resetting the system only requires you to push a button on the dash.
Old 03-29-10, 11:10 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

available on the LS and the RXh, and probably the LX and GX...just wait for redesigned models in the future to yet this eventually.
Old 03-30-10, 05:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm getting a 2010 equinox for my next company vehicle; my boss just ordered it yesterday.
the tire pressue feature is nice, but seriously, that's more for people who treat their cars as appliances. I have no problem checking my own pressure, i look at my tires every time i walk up to the vehicle scanning for any possible tire/wheel/general problems, and i can spot a few psi loss immediately.
it's nice to have but i don't need it; i've been driving for 20 years without such systems just fine.
Old 03-30-10, 05:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19psi
i'm getting a 2010 equinox for my next company vehicle; my boss just ordered it yesterday.
the tire pressue feature is nice, but seriously, that's more for people who treat their cars as appliances. I have no problem checking my own pressure, i look at my tires every time i walk up to the vehicle scanning for any possible tire/wheel/general problems, and i can spot a few psi loss immediately.
it's nice to have but i don't need it; i've been driving for 20 years without such systems just fine.
Yes,you can tell which tire is low if it's maybe 10lbs or more low but not at say 3,4,5 lbs too low.
Like Infra posted,we don't really need a number,just which tire is low.
A much cheaper Equinox line has the option and a Lexus should also in every model.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-30-10 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-30-10, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I fully expect every modern car sold in the US to have this in a few years.
Old 03-30-10, 07:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I fully expect every modern car sold in the US to have this in a few years.
I agree.It's a very nice feature.
Old 03-30-10, 07:56 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

My Carrera has this feature and it is very useful on the track. You can watch the pressure build as the tires heat up, and if you start to lose air in a tire, it saves your ***.
Accurate to about 3 psi compared to a good tire gauge.
Old 03-30-10, 09:08 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
I check my tire pressure myself, i dont need a computer to tell me that my tires are low
Old 03-30-10, 01:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I check my tire pressure myself, i dont need a computer to tell me that my tires are low
The one in my 450h is accurate. I've checked the tire pressure the old fashioned way a few times and they were right on. Funny thing is the pressure sometimes shows up one by one. I have to give it about 10-20 seconds to read all the tires. Bu it's definitely nice to have.
Old 03-30-10, 02:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you guys know when you're driving on the Interstate say on a 400 mile trip and you are loosing air? Can't really check tire pressure when you develop the problem while driving. Doing 80 MPH and loosing air pressure can get dangerous very quickly. It would be nice to know you have a problem before you start to actually feel you have a problem and before you just went past the last gas station 30 miles back. TPMS are not needed obviously since most of us have been driving around just fine without it, but it is a very handy feature IMHO and should be in all cars. (None of my current cars have them).

Maybe we all check our tire pressures regularly, or at least regularly enough, but the fact is our wives, girlfriends, other family members and such probably do not and if any of them are carrying my family members in their car it would be nice if they had something to warm them of a potential hazardous situation that is about to happen.
Old 03-30-10, 03:23 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
How do you guys know when you're driving on the Interstate say on a 400 mile trip and you are loosing air? Can't really check tire pressure when you develop the problem while driving. Doing 80 MPH and loosing air pressure can get dangerous very quickly. It would be nice to know you have a problem before you start to actually feel you have a problem and before you just went past the last gas station 30 miles back. TPMS are not needed obviously since most of us have been driving around just fine without it, but it is a very handy feature IMHO and should be in all cars. (None of my current cars have them).

Maybe we all check our tire pressures regularly, or at least regularly enough, but the fact is our wives, girlfriends, other family members and such probably do not and if any of them are carrying my family members in their car it would be nice if they had something to warm them of a potential hazardous situation that is about to happen.
i can feel it by how th4 car handles as soon as a tire is about 5psi lower than the others. maybe it's just me, but i always push it around corners and such, so it' s easy to tell when a tire is getting squishy.
it's even easier to tell on the low profile 35 series 19's on the LS, because it seems to drag that corner noticeably once it hits about 25psi.
Old 03-30-10, 03:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have a Lexus and Mercedes with regular TPMS systems and they both work as intended and are a valuable safety feature. I am probably a bit more diligent than most Americans about tire maintenance (with a compressor in the garage), but still think the TPMS systems add value for me.