Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

86 Acura Legend with 1900 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 03:39 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Serious buyers only.... One-owner!!!! Hurry in!!!! This 1986 Legend is for Acura fanatics who are aching for that pampered, one-owner gem. . We offer some of the cleanest quality maintained vehicles you will findanywhere. This vehicle is Perfect!! Come on down to Davis Acura to have a look at one of the first Acura's ever produced. 1900 original miles, the original tires, this ride is perfect!! Come on down to Davis Acura to take a step back to 1986!!

VIN: JH4KA2649GC004955

lol, it's nothing special. i would pay 25,000 as a show car if it was serial # 0001

this one is is only #4955
Old 03-28-10, 06:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a member who loves and respects the Legend, I'm with Mike in that I don't think it is worth $25K, but it is definitely worth some money much more than most people will give credit for. This is the car that started it all for the Japanese Luxury segment. If I had a tons of cash to burn, I myself might buy it for the $25K asking price. What is holding my back is it is probably an L model, and I'd probably want the top of the line LS model in the exact same condition and mileage and with the 5-Speed manual. That would be my collector car.

What people don't realize is the 1st gen Legend was more over engineered than the 2nd gen Legend.
Old 03-28-10, 06:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
As a member who loves and respects the Legend, I'm with Mike in that I don't think it is worth $25K, but it is definitely worth some money much more than most people will give credit for. This is the car that started it all for the Japanese Luxury segment. If I had a tons of cash to burn, I myself might buy it for the $25K asking price. What is holding my back is it is probably an L model, and I'd probably want the top of the line LS model in the exact same condition and mileage and with the 5-Speed manual. That would be my collector car.

What people don't realize is the 1st gen Legend was more over engineered than the 2nd gen Legend.
Well said.
Old 03-28-10, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Dry-rot of many of the rubber and non-metal parts is probably going to be an issue on something this old......even if garage-kept. I'd plan on replacing tires, belts, coolant hoses, weatherstripping, brake hoses, a number of engine seals/gaskets, and check everything on the underside of the car for rust, corrosion, or deterioration. The seat cloth may have also deteriorated with time. So, (likely) will have the plastic underhood fluid-reservoir containers. Some of the required parts on a car this old may also be difficult to find.
Old 03-29-10, 05:22 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car will worth what the buyer think it will worth. Some of us might not agree that $25K is worth it other think it might worth more. People place value on things differently. Like would I paid over $100 for any baseball card .. heck no but other will paid much much more. So I would not say it's a rip off of any type.
Old 03-29-10, 05:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
May I ask what possesses a person to buy a new car and not drive it (respectively)? Particularly a car such as a Civic? Regular cars exist to be appliances to serve the sole purpose of transportation. Not to say that they can't also bring enjoyment, as they do. It's like buying a washer and dryer knowing you're only going to do one load a year.

I didn't get this either. The only thing that makes any sense is that this person thought that it was an instant classic, and treated it as an investment, not as a car.
Old 03-29-10, 05:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
This car will worth what the buyer think it will worth. Some of us might not agree that $25K is worth it other think it might worth more. People place value on things differently. Like would I paid over $100 for any baseball card .. heck no but other will paid much much more. So I would not say it's a rip off of any type.
Yeah--but this isn't some nutjob selling his car for $4,000,000 on eBay.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...for-4-mil.html

It's a local Acura dealer that is trying to project an image of selling luxury automobiles. Putting an '86 Legend on the showroom floor and slapping a $25,000 price tag on it just cannot be good marketing if you have customers shaking their heads in disbelief.
Old 03-29-10, 05:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
May I ask what possesses a person to buy a new car and not drive it (respectively)? Particularly a car such as a Civic? Regular cars exist to be appliances to serve the sole purpose of transportation. Not to say that they can't also bring enjoyment, as they do. It's like buying a washer and dryer knowing you're only going to do one load a year.

About 10 years ago my uncle purchased a 1976 Oldsmobile for $50, and the car had ridiculously low mileage - maybe 10k miles.

It was garage stored by an old lady - her husband purchased the car new, and passed away shortly after, and she didn't drive, so the car just sat there. My uncle replaced brakes and tires, and put in a new head-unit (the original unit had AM reception and 8-track ) and drove it happily for several years.