Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unofficial drag test puts 2011 Mustang GT ahead of Camaro SS in eighth-mile showdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 01:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Unofficial drag test puts 2011 Mustang GT ahead of Camaro SS in eighth-mile showdown

Unofficial drag test puts 2011 Mustang GT ahead of Camaro SS in eighth-mile showdown

Though driving impressions of the new 5.0-liter 2011 Ford Mustang GT are off limits for now, Popular Hot Rodding notes that Ford made no mention of releasing pure facts. It's all about the numbers anyway, right? During last week's media launch for the new Mustangs in California, the showdown between the (supposedly) 412-horsepower 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 and the 426-horsepower 2010 Camaro SS got underway at a sectioned-off portion of the Camarillo Airport. An eighth-mile drag strip lay ahead of the two ponycars, both equipped with six-speed automatics.

With time-slips in hand, the numbers don't lie. Popular Hot Rodding managed a time of 8.82 seconds at 83 miles per hour in the Camaro, but the Mustang proved to be even faster at 8.62 seconds at 86 mph. Virtually all journalists on hand recorded better times in the Mustang. Crude translations to quarter mile numbers come in at 13.8 seconds for the Camaro and 13.5 seconds for the Stang.

With a base price coming in at $30,495 and numbers that - for now, at least - appear to beat the competition, Ford looks like it has a serious hit in the making with its new 5.0 Mustang. How the renewed rivalry translates from the streets to the sales sheets, where the Camaro currently rules the roost, will be interesting to watch.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/28/u...-camaro-ss-in/

I'd say the pony wars just got a little more interesting. Of course with the weight advantage mustang, this doesn't come as a surprise to me
Old 03-28-10, 02:41 PM
LexFather

But they live their lives a 1/4 mile at a time, not an 1/8 mile of a time.

A prequel? lol

Old 03-28-10, 06:45 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expected better numbers than that, will have to wait for a full test and see what Evan J Smith gets an 2011 to run at atco
Old 03-29-10, 05:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 221 Posts

Eighth miles are for ricers--V8s should run a full quarter. And a better comparison would be the MT versions, both for the obvious reason, as well as the fact that the auto-trannied Camaro SS comes with the detuned L99 engine while the 6MT sports the Corvette's LS3.
Old 03-29-10, 08:00 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
Eighth miles are for people who don't have access to a full quarter mile drag strip.
Fixed. 10 char.
Old 03-29-10, 08:19 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

mustang will do a low 13's. i still prefer Camaro over a mustang.
Old 03-29-10, 09:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Splitting hairs, I still prefer Camaro by a small margin.
Old 03-29-10, 09:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As much as I love the exterior of the Camaro, I find it's interior absolutely laughable. That factor alone would be enough to make me pick Mustang, even though it's not my absolute favorite.
Old 03-29-10, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As much as I love the exterior of the Camaro, I find it's interior absolutely laughable. That factor alone would be enough to make me pick Mustang, even though it's not my absolute favorite.
The Camaro's interior (and exterior), like that of rivals Mustang and Challenger, has some of the features that date back to the 1960's originals. In the Camaro's case, that includes the dual big square/circle assemblies for the primary gauges and the smaller, rectangular units lower down, at the front of the console. You may not personally like the looks of it, but why do you find it "laughable"? If there is anything "laughable" in any of the 3 pony cars, as I see it, it's the flimsiness of a lot of the Challenger's interior/exterior hardware. The Mustang was like that up to a few years ago, but has greatly improved in the latest versions.
Old 03-29-10, 09:28 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

GM made the Camaro too big, just like Dodge did with the Challenger. The Mustang is more the size of the old pony cars, and I prefer the stang.
Old 03-29-10, 09:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The general build quality of the Camaro interior is pretty low IMO, and I really dislike the design. I understand the retro theme and know that I am too young to appreciate it, but there is just no way I could drive that car every day with the gauges, steering wheel, center stack, etc.

The Mustang's interior is far more user friendly and does a better job of joining retro details with everyday comfort and practicality.
Old 03-29-10, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Though driving impressions of the new 5.0-liter 2011 Ford Mustang GT are off limits for now

This is pure, unadulterted bull-s***. If auto manufacturers are going to build cars, then let reviewers and the auto press do their jobs, REVIEW them and tell us what they find.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 09:44 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Wait, so they're telling us that a Lexus IS350 can keep up, if not beat, a 426 HP Camaro or a 416 HP mustang? Very disappointed in those numbers.
Old 03-29-10, 09:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is pure, unadulterted bull-s***. If auto manufacturers are going to build cars, then let reviewers and the auto press do their jobs, REVIEW them and tell us what they find.
Not for now. This is not really a review, but a press release.

I guess Ford's idea is if it's a "HP, 0-60 war" they want, this is the weapon they're gonna get.

Muscle cars live off of HP and 0-60 times. A review can be irrelevant when you're playing that game...
Old 03-29-10, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not for now. This is not really a review, but a press release.
Exactly my point. It is not a review, when it SHOULD be one. And the reasons that we don't get timely reviews on many new vehicles are pretty much the same reasons for the idiotic bras/tape/covers you see on the spy-shots.

Muscle cars live off of HP and 0-60 times. A review can be irrelevant when you're playing that game...
Not as I see it. Muscle/Pony car or not, when you plunk down 30K or more for a vehicle, you deserve to know what you are getting. It is true, however, that pony cars, at least until recently, were designed to go more in a straight line and rather quickly) than anyting else....the Mustang, with its live rear axle, perhaps more so than the others.

Quick Reply: Unofficial drag test puts 2011 Mustang GT ahead of Camaro SS in eighth-mile showdown