Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 11:04 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut

The R-Class has had a rough life. Not only did it suffer from odd, disproportionate styling, but Mercedes-Benz never really marketed the vehicle the way that it should have, choosing to position it as a "sports tourer," rather than the obvious upscale family hauler that it is. Dismal sales ensued. Makes sense, then, that the 2011 R-Class benefits from a slightly more comprehensive overhaul than the standard mid-cycle refresh usually entails.

Right away, we must say that the R-Class's new schnoz is a giant leap forward from drooping proboscis of the outgoing car. New, more chiseled headlamps accent a larger, more upright grille and a less angular hood. The revised lower fascia features the automaker's new quad foglight design – something we've already seen on the E- and GL-Class. Not much has been changed out back, save the standard mid-cycle enhancements (revised taillights and a tweaked bumper).

Interior changes are minimal, which is fine, since we've never really had a problem with the sports tourer people mover's cabin. Look for the typical array of Mercedes-Benz technology features, as well as a new AMG sport interior, which includes different seats, a better steering wheel with shift paddles, a new lighting package, and stainless steel pedals. As for powertrains, we expect the standard V6 engines – both petrol and diesel – to be offered. Us? We're secretly crossing our fingers for the return of the R63 AMG.

Check back later this week for full details from the New York Auto Show. In the meantime, click through the gallery below to see preview shots of the new R-Class. Hat tip to Ashley!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/28/b...-new-york-deb/

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011...***-preview/#2

I've never really been a fan of the R-Class, but between this and the current generation I do think it's an improvement. The return of a V8 and or AMG variant would be nice
Originally Posted by DustinV
The most important thing about the R class is that it debuts a new diesel engine from Mercedes. A 3.0 V6 with 265-horsepower. Factory fuel economy ratings are 8.5 liters per 100 km.

It also seems that customers have more options regarding interior individualization.

I like the new model and I LOVE the interior. Much better than the newer blockier direction Mercedes is taking their interiors.
Old 03-29-10, 04:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

kill it!

kill it in a fire !!

i saw this and reacted WTF? gen 2?

I can't tell what's a hyundai and what's a benz anymore. They all have teh same styling, character lines, etc etc

Old 03-29-10, 05:50 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
kill it!

kill it in a fire !!

i saw this and reacted WTF? gen 2?

I can't tell what's a hyundai and what's a benz anymore. They all have teh same styling, character lines, etc etc

That's not Mercedes's fault.

Hyundai is ripping all their styling straight from Mercedes and Lexus
Old 03-29-10, 06:08 PM
LexFather

Between this and the QX I wish we got no early release pics not sure which is worse

Old 03-29-10, 07:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get out the RAID buy spray.
Old 03-29-10, 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Get out the RAID buy spray.
You mean BUG spray?

(Just keeping the CL quality up)

(I'd reserve the bug spray, however, for the Honda Fit....a good small car, but about as fugly as you can get with today's styling)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-10 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Anyhow, Mercedes seems to have been all over the place with the R-Class in the last 12-18 months or so. There has been talk of everything from dropping it from the American market (because of low sales) to not only keeping it here, but even adding an AMG version. This article, of course, adds even more speculation.

In the past, I think that one thing that kept the R sales down in America was that the Chrysler Pacifica (with Chrysler, of course, then-being under M-B ownership) gave it some competition, even though the Pacifica was less-expensive and less-prestigious. Both vehicles were (roughly) the same size and shared the 2+2+2 interior seating layout...an unusual layout that was shared, in that size class, only by those two vehicles. The smaller Mazda5 also shared the 2+2+2 layout, but, as stated, in a much smaller/lower-cost size, and without the interior room. The Pacifica, of course, has been discontinued, and that, recently, has opened up the door for more R-Class sales. But, even so, here in the D.C. Metro area, you still don't see much of either the Pacifica or R-Class. (At one time, I thought that both even shared the same platform, but both the Chrysler and Mercedes people said no).

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-10 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mean BUG spray?

(I'd reserve the bug spray, however, for the Honda Fit....a good small car, but about as fugly as you can get with today's styling)
lol

I assume people with families understand it better.

Old 03-29-10, 10:33 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Lolz no love for the R class in here?

I for one like it (esp with this major facelift). Go R class.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003292...sed/highphotos

I can't see why people would not like this MB vehicle though.
Old 03-29-10, 10:35 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I think the R-klasse is a good idea, but it's fighting a horribly uphill battle in North America. There is just always a more appropriate choice to fit what the North American wants. In Europe however, since (North American) mini-vans are increadibly unpopular, and a MB would be more of a domestic, it would certainly have better sales numbers.
Old 03-29-10, 10:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Fail to see anything brawny about the R-class.
Old 03-29-10, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Between this and the QX I wish we got no early release pics not sure which is worse
no kidding dude i was thinking the same thing. first this.... and hours later the qx, i was like what? again?
Old 03-29-10, 11:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Not bad. Not good either. The interior dash area looks like tupperwear or something by rubbermaid. The floating binnacle screams economy car. I wonder how these things pass...
Old 03-30-10, 07:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mean BUG spray?

Yes and there is the proof that human spell check is the best.

Some manufacturers still choose to participate for the ugliest car on the market award, with the Fit in play.
Old 03-30-10, 10:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I quite liked the old one in AMG guise, I will admit.

I'm not sure if I like the redesigned front.

Quick Reply: Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut