Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut

Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut

The R-Class has had a rough life. Not only did it suffer from odd, disproportionate styling, but Mercedes-Benz never really marketed the vehicle the way that it should have, choosing to position it as a "sports tourer," rather than the obvious upscale family hauler that it is. Dismal sales ensued. Makes sense, then, that the 2011 R-Class benefits from a slightly more comprehensive overhaul than the standard mid-cycle refresh usually entails.

Right away, we must say that the R-Class's new schnoz is a giant leap forward from drooping proboscis of the outgoing car. New, more chiseled headlamps accent a larger, more upright grille and a less angular hood. The revised lower fascia features the automaker's new quad foglight design – something we've already seen on the E- and GL-Class. Not much has been changed out back, save the standard mid-cycle enhancements (revised taillights and a tweaked bumper).

Interior changes are minimal, which is fine, since we've never really had a problem with the sports tourer people mover's cabin. Look for the typical array of Mercedes-Benz technology features, as well as a new AMG sport interior, which includes different seats, a better steering wheel with shift paddles, a new lighting package, and stainless steel pedals. As for powertrains, we expect the standard V6 engines – both petrol and diesel – to be offered. Us? We're secretly crossing our fingers for the return of the R63 AMG.

Check back later this week for full details from the New York Auto Show. In the meantime, click through the gallery below to see preview shots of the new R-Class. Hat tip to Ashley!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/28/b...-new-york-deb/

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011...***-preview/#2

I've never really been a fan of the R-Class, but between this and the current generation I do think it's an improvement. The return of a V8 and or AMG variant would be nice
Old 03-28-10, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

never a fan of r class myself neither, but yes, this is definitely better than the current one

but interior doesn't need any rework? come on..... at least upgrade that silly nav system already
Old 03-28-10, 01:58 PM
LexFather

Headlights look better. Grill is the size of a house. Quad foglamps are just busy. That interior belongs in an old Kia, not a Benz.

Still I'd rock the R65 if they still make it

Last edited by LexFather; 03-28-10 at 03:16 PM.

Old 03-28-10, 04:06 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow didnt' realize this car wasn't dead yet. This car needs more than a refresh it needs a complete rethinking
Old 03-28-10, 04:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,362 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Wow didnt' realize this car wasn't dead yet. This car needs more than a refresh it needs a complete rethinking
or this:

Old 03-28-10, 05:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Headlights look better. Grill is the size of a house. Quad foglamps are just busy. That interior belongs in an old Kia, not a Benz.

Still I'd rock the R65 if they still make it

you mean old chevy?
Old 03-28-10, 05:56 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The most important thing about the R class is that it debuts a new diesel engine from Mercedes. A 3.0 V6 with 265-horsepower. Factory fuel economy ratings are 8.5 liters per 100 km.

It also seems that customers have more options regarding interior individualization.

Old 03-28-10, 07:19 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

I'm surprised Merc decided it was worth taking into a 2nd generation. I don't know the sales numbers but I'd expect them to be rather poor.
Old 03-28-10, 07:48 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrIan
I'm surprised Merc decided it was worth taking into a 2nd generation. I don't know the sales numbers but I'd expect them to be rather poor.
In Europe the R class did quite well actually. It wasn't a stellar seller but it also didn't do as poorly here as it did in the US. Then again, Europeans get more variants of the R class including a simple RWD model. I'll see if I can dig up some sales figures.
Old 03-28-10, 07:51 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A buddy of mine bought a used one. I warned him that they supposedly have a reputation for pricey repairs, but he says he loves it.
Old 03-29-10, 09:58 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I looked into this when I new my kids were on the way, but I was dissapointed at every turn. I am surprised (like others) that they are keeping it. I fully expected them to kill off this model.

Oh well, restyled and looking better, but still not interested.
Old 03-29-10, 10:27 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's ugly, will always be ugly. yuck. I'll take 2 Venzas instead.
Old 03-29-10, 10:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrIan
I am also a bit surprised, because in the US market it was a known flop. Mercedes wants to have a presence in the people-mover/minivan market, so this is an improvement.
Old 03-29-10, 10:38 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I am surprised (like others) that they are keeping it. I fully expected them to kill off this model.
My thoughts exactly. The new R Class does look much better than the original...although that's not saying much.
Old 03-29-10, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
My thoughts exactly. The new R Class does look much better than the original...although that's not saying much.
it's amazing to see mb came out with the car -- one that doesn't make much sense at all

Quick Reply: Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut