Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What bike do you ride?
Suzuki
32.35%
Yamaha
17.65%
Honda
26.47%
Other
23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Who rides motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 05:38 PM
HKS JZZ30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ride too. currently just have two bikes-

'01 Ducati 996

'09 Yamaha R6

and my pops rides an '02 Suzuki SV650:

i used to frequent trackdays with ti2tt, but not so much anymore. no time
Old 04-09-10, 08:15 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
^^^ That's way too much snow for a m/c, looks scary.
BTW, that was during a 3-day ride from San Francisco to the Trinity Rivers area, Ukiah, Fort Bragg and back to SF. Some of the best motorcycle and car roads in the world. I try to get on longer rides at least a couple times a year, but its getting much harder to do it. Riding in the snow with street tires is probably the most technically difficult riding I had ever done in my life, and I've probably soiled my pants a few times since there's 'Zero' traction; but luckly never dropped the bike. Its a great picture that gets lots of comments and makes me look way cool!
Old 04-09-10, 08:17 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by HKS JZZ30
i ride too. currently just have two bikes...and my pops rides an '02 Suzuki SV650:
A family that rides together, stays together! Great pics; you guys are fast!
Old 04-09-10, 02:23 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HKS JZZ30
i ride too. currently just have two bikes-

'01 Ducati 996

'09 Yamaha R6

and my pops rides an '02 Suzuki SV650:

i used to frequent trackdays with ti2tt, but not so much anymore. no time
how does the yamaha compare to the ducati?? or there is no comparison, is it like comparing a honda to a lambo? i never hope on a ducati before, to rich for my blood but always been curious about them
Old 04-09-10, 06:04 PM
HKS JZZ30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, the father-son aspect of it is pretty cool. i don't even notice it much until i talk to other riders and they're like, "thats your dad!? cool!" lol.

the yamaha is completely different to the ducati in many ways. its kind of odd that they're so different yet fun in different aspects. for example, the redline on the ducati is around 11k, on the yamaha, 11k is where it starts to make power! (redline is 17k or so). aside from that, the yamaha has no torque whatsoever really, and the ducati has it by the bucketloads just off-idle. chassis-wise, the yamaha does everything its asked, and goes anywhere you want to point it in a corner. on its side, its very stable and well sorted. the ducati, is alot slower to flick back and forth through multiple corners, and just needs a little more effort in changing directions than the yamaha. but, because its handling isnt as "sharp", its definitely the most stable bike ive ever ridden. i could go on about each bike forever, but thats basically the jist of it. power-wise they actually probably just as fast since the yamaha has 120 or so with lightness and high revs, and the ducati has 135 or so with monster torque to pull its weight around.

my description of these bikes for me in reference to canyon riding and track days. BOTH of them are horrible around town/traffic street bikes. yamaha because of its ultra-high seat height, and ducati because of its ghastly seat and notchy shifter/clutch at low rpm use.

what IS a good around-town/commuter bike is a Suzuki GS500. i actually had one of those for awhile and it was SUPER fun. No power, horrid brakes, and tired suspension made it hilarious to try to throw around the canyons, but were faults that didn't matter at all in city/traffic use.

edit:
and for the honda to lambo comparison. yes, the R6 with its updated tech and ultra-modern chassis and engine will do anything you ask of it, but it has little soul, eventhough its race bred. the ducati, with its beauty, sound, and quirks make it more exotic to ride. out of the two, if i go for a ride i'll usually grab the keys to the duc.

i love both bikes, and feel they are an excellent contrast to each other so i don't get bored. now i just need a supermoto and i'd have a full circle

Last edited by HKS JZZ30; 04-09-10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 11:16 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

well when my girl kills me for buying a $18k bike i got you to blame Hks jzz30

i always had a little thing for the ducati when i first laid eyes on a 996 (i believe) at a honda dealership when i was taking my accord in for service. i guess i like that "super street bike" look, i couldn't get down with the Ducati Monster due to the fact it has that "street fighter" look.

it's funny you mention the high seat on the yamaha, i never had a problem with it but when my boys try my bike out that the first thing they mention. to me it's a plus i feel higher up in the air there for i feel like i can lean the bike more. after jumping on my friends' 07 CBR 600RR that bike felt so low to the ground i was pretty much scared to lean it as far down as i would do on my R6. i guess maybe height has something to do with it, im 6Ft with pretty long legs so i don't have a problem with the ride height on the R6, but i do have to admit those seats can get tedious after long trips but i got use to it.

i wish we had ducati dealerships around here, well i never seen one where i live (New Jersey) i wouldn't mind to go in talk to a few salesmen and sit on one of those bad boys. dam all this bike talk i want to go get one tomorrow soon as i wake up . i have to get myself a new car and help my girl get one as well, maybe next season
Old 04-09-10, 11:17 PM
RoninAMG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 Honda CBR 1000RR
Attached Thumbnails Who rides motorcycles?-dscf0024.jpg   Who rides motorcycles?-dscf0006.jpg   Who rides motorcycles?-dscf0014.jpg  
Old 04-14-10, 12:48 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cops found my stolen r6 that was taken from my apt complex about a month ago. Here she is! Ignition, and rear tire busted.

and here with my r1

Old 02-15-11, 07:33 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Just got this last week. 2008 CBR 600rr. Last I had a bike was in 06' an 01' 929. I wanted to get a 1000 but this was such a good deal I couldn't pass up.

Old 02-15-11, 07:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^

Congrats!!!

No need for the whole liter. That thing has enough *****.
Old 02-15-11, 08:02 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Lots of bikes in our family. Everything from dirt bikes (dunno know they are always dirty lol), dual sport (KLR650), racing/track bikes (few R6s), sport bikes (R1 and YZF1000), sport tourers (FJ1200 and FJR1300 mine), and bagger (VFR800 lol). Few of us have been around NA several times.

Here's my baby at Lolo Pass...

Old 02-15-11, 08:10 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Thanks. It does have a sprocket in the back so it pulls harder. True. This thing is fast enough to get me in trouble. I did look at an 09' Ducati 1098. Just couldn't see forking out 10g's cash for a toy.
Old 02-15-11, 08:30 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Never thought I'd get rid of my beloved GSXR750, but I had to for this:

Old 02-15-11, 08:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^

YAY!!!
Old 02-15-11, 08:57 AM
needis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Never thought I'd get rid of my beloved GSXR750, but I had to for this:

I was in the windy city and people were just riding with sunglasses. Can't believe how crazy some people are.

Quick Reply: Who rides motorcycles?