Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 07:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to spend $40k (plus inflation) someday on an Audi wagon.
Old 03-31-10, 07:42 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I hope to spend $40k (plus inflation) someday on an Audi wagon.
Well yeah spending that much on an Audi makes sense. Acura is like Volvo, and I would never spend over $40K on a V70...
Old 03-31-10, 07:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
People are quick to point out what it doesn't have knowing damn well no one will ever buy those configurations. Then if they did, it would be too expensive.

The thing is, they should at least add in the V6. The regular TSX already has it so why not make it an option. There is no additional R&D so it's doesn't really cost them anything if a customer wants a V6.
Old 03-31-10, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yeah a base AWD V6 TSX Wagon would cost nearly $40K, and who's going to pay that much for an Acura?
The popular MDX starts at over 42K. And the TL, which is awkward-looking but still sells fairly well, starts just over 35K......loaded versions, with tax/tags, can easily hit 40K.
Old 03-31-10, 07:53 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

This is not new...I've seen these in Europe. This is the 8th gen 2008 debut Euro Accord. So it is just the European Accord Touring transplanted with an Acura badge
See the UK Honda Accord Touring:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/accordtourer/
The difference is it offers fewer engine options (no diesel here). Since almost nobody buys an automatic in Europe, most are sold with a 6 speed manual....so nobody buys it. Likewise, a V6 is too expensive to fuel in Europe so nobody buys it. Hence they aren't willing to invest any money into updating the chasis to accept newer/bigger engines and transmissions for a model that will last 1-3 years at most before the next gen.
Old 03-31-10, 07:55 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The popular MDX starts at over 42K. And the TL, which is awkward-looking but still sells fairly well, starts just over 35K......loaded versions, with tax/tags, can easily hit 40K.
The MDX is way bigger with 3 rows of seats. Of course another factor to the lack of AWD/V6 is the availability of the RDX.
Old 03-31-10, 07:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Well yeah spending that much on an Audi makes sense. Acura is like Volvo, and I would never spend over $40K on a V70...
Ah, that comparison makes alot of sense. I wouldn't spend $40k on a V70/S60 or a TSX.
Old 03-31-10, 08:00 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ah, that comparison makes alot of sense. I wouldn't spend $40k on a V70/S60 or a TSX.
Yeah I think spending $40+K on a wagon is fine if that's your thing. As long as it's a tier one wagon at that price!
Old 03-31-10, 08:04 PM
LexFather

TLs are selling far below MSRP so no people are not buying them at 40k.
The v6 tsx is also selling poor an has huge discounts.
Th only Acura that has sold well over 40k is the mdx and that ain't saying much as any suv sells.

If Acura is scared to sell a awd v6 ts b/c it's too expensive then why even have a luxury brand? Again the irony is you can get an awd v6 ACCORD wagon. Isn't their tagline "advance" and aren't they saying they are the most innovative company in Ads??

Instead they rebadge an accord which has less impressive specs than the crossturd.

Seriously a 5speed? Hyundai is EMBARRESSING Acura and so is Ford.

This is not advance. This is failure.

Old 03-31-10, 10:13 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

this looks like it should be about 31-33k. and that's the maximum money i would pay for a TSX.

Acura really is a confused brand. they are not confident enough, and they just don't have products to back it up. if they got the design right, they can just continue to do their thing, but they aren't making an attractive cars. this looks good to me minus beak, but at the end of the day, this is just an accord. i always considered TSX a better euro-spec accord. smaller with better handling version of the accord. that's all it is. wouldn't matter if it had a honda badge or acura badge. it just an euro accord. nothing wrong with that, but never had a 'luxury' ring to it.
Old 04-01-10, 12:44 AM
lex-phil
Driver

the good news: at least it looks better than an Accord Crosstour.
Old 04-01-10, 12:58 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

An absolute, 100%, garanteed discontinued model in a few years. Hope to hear the report on how much money was wasted on the project and who will get fired for the poor marketing decision.
Old 04-01-10, 06:38 AM
LexFather

How Acura Ruined The TSX Sport Wagon

http://jalopnik.com/5506681/how-acur...sx-sport-wagon

The Acura TSX Sport Wagon just debuted in New York. A compact, sporty station wagon? What's not to like? Plenty, starting with the lack of both a V6 (or a diesel) and a manual transmission.

I first drove the Acura TSX Sport Wagon five years ago. "But wait," I hear you cry through a series of tubes, "this is a new car!" Well, dear readers, five years ago I was living in London and the 6th generation Honda Accord Tourer had just debuted. That's right, Acura is rebadging a European Honda model and selling it to us silly Americans as a luxury car. Good thing most car buyers here like nothing better than having the wool pulled over their eyes.

That Accord Tourer was great. It was big enough to haul around four tire-shod S2000 wheels in the boot trunk without folding the seats down and it was fun to drive thanks to a sharp FWD chassis, a six-speed manual transmission and a torquey diesel engine. It was even nice inside, belying its budget badge and fuel efficient, returning 40 MPG (US) combined in the Euro cycle. It was exactly the kind of car people want: fairly light, very fuel efficient, fairly quick, fun to drive and you could haul ****.

Here's where we run into problems with the Acura. In translation from Euro Accord to ‘Merican TSX it's lost the manual gearbox, replaced the 2.2-liter hate-something-change-something diesel with a 2.4-liter gasoline engine and gained both an ungainly beak and a luxury badge (and presumably a $30k-ish price tag). What was a fun, practical, economical wagon is now an underpowered, expensive, slushboxed luxury car. Sorry Honda, but you ****ed this one up.

Old 04-01-10, 07:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
I just traded in my 1G TSX for a 2004 RX330. I had three Acura's previously and was hoping that the TSX wagon came with a diesel option. I thought they could achieve more torque and better mpg. They didn't. I'm a bit disappointed in Acura. There design team is driving loyal Acura customers away with their front fascias.

This looks better than the Honda Crosstour. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells.
Cali's emission standards prevented the TSX diesel from coming here by making compliance way too expensive
Old 04-01-10, 09:03 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Acura is gone to crap

Quick Reply: New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming