Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How Acura Ruined The TSX Sport Wagon

The Acura TSX Sport Wagon just debuted in New York. A compact, sporty station wagon? What's not to like? Plenty, starting with the lack of both a V6 (or a diesel) and a manual transmission.

I first drove the Acura TSX Sport Wagon five years ago. "But wait," I hear you cry through a series of tubes, "this is a new car!" Well, dear readers, five years ago I was living in London and the 6th generation Honda Accord Tourer had just debuted. That's right, Acura is rebadging a European Honda model and selling it to us silly Americans as a luxury car. Good thing most car buyers here like nothing better than having the wool pulled over their eyes.

That Accord Tourer was great. It was big enough to haul around four tire-shod S2000 wheels in the boot trunk without folding the seats down and it was fun to drive thanks to a sharp FWD chassis, a six-speed manual transmission and a torquey diesel engine. It was even nice inside, belying its budget badge and fuel efficient, returning 40 MPG (US) combined in the Euro cycle. It was exactly the kind of car people want: fairly light, very fuel efficient, fairly quick, fun to drive and you could haul ****.

Here's where we run into problems with the Acura. In translation from Euro Accord to ‘Merican TSX it's lost the manual gearbox, replaced the 2.2-liter hate-something-change-something diesel with a 2.4-liter gasoline engine and gained both an ungainly beak and a luxury badge (and presumably a $30k-ish price tag). What was a fun, practical, economical wagon is now an underpowered, expensive, slushboxed luxury car. Sorry Honda, but you ****ed this one up.
I don't see where these are negative issues. Yes, the parrot-beak is an eyesore...I'll concede that. But the lack of a manual transmission isn't a big deal in the American market, on this type of car. Now, it they were marketing a sport-oriented TSX to compete with the BMW 3-series, that would be a different matter.........the three-pedals would be more necessary. And if it is a design that is already several years old in Europe, so what? What matters, as I see it, is the competency of the design to start with, not how many times it changes in X number of years. What DOES matter, of course, and where Acura DID screw up (besides the parrot-beak), is the lack of the SH-AWD.....yes, that IS a marketing error. Perhaps Acura, unlike Subaru, just won't sell AWD on cars without a V6 (except for the turbo-4 RDX). If so, then the lack of a V6 explains that.
Old 04-01-10, 01:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yeah a base AWD V6 TSX Wagon would cost nearly $40K, and who's going to pay that much for an Acura?
This kind of logic did not stop them from making the ZDX...
Old 04-01-10, 01:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me get this straight, Honda will now sell both the Euro Accord sedan and wagon as the TSX sedan and TSX wagon (at inflated prices), and the US Accord "wagon" that we get is the Crosstour abomination?

Honda just continues to fail .
Old 04-01-10, 06:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or does that beak not look as bad as on other Acura models?? I think something's wrong with me!!!
Old 04-01-10, 06:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Since it's auto only, it needs a 6/7/8 speed tranny, not the dated 5 speeder.
Old 04-01-10, 11:13 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Nice car...........BUT, it does have some issues:

-Power Plenum grille is FAIL (seriously get that beak off)
-No V6 version (if the sedan has it, why not put it in the wagon as well???)

and

-FWD-only seems to be a bit of a gripe. I mean I'm cool with it.......BUT remember that the last-gen model (at least in Japan) had E-4WD option.

As mmarshall pointed out, I couldn't understand why they would take it out (even in Japan). I can't fathom how this thing would survive up north over there.

I mean: SNOW IN HOKKAIDO IS VERY BRUTAL AND UNFORGIVING. If your automobile does not have 4WD/AWD, then you're gonna have a very hard time plowing through all the ice and snow over there (especially in Sapporo).

To be honest though, I have nothing against FWD (even for this car).......but SH-AWD would be a welcome.

For me, I see SH-AWD as an ASSET and NOT A LIABILITY for Honda/Acura. They did this right with the Legend/RL by making the car SH-AWD ONLY.

I just wished that Honda/Acura would have more resources and monies.....so that they can make ALL their cars SH-AWD.

I personally believe that this would help bring glory back to their brand (just like what Symmetrical AWD did for Subaru).

In any case, don't get me wrong, I love the car.

It's just too unfortunate in my opinion (that there are things lacking in it).
Old 04-02-10, 10:10 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

I look at this car and all I see is a Subaru Legacy Wagon...with an ugly plastic beak.
Old 04-07-10, 05:57 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

There's complaints about no V6 or manual option but those options don't sell in the sedan version in the real world.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and complain about what's not available, but Acura has to deal with reality. The TSX sells in 4 cylinder automatics almost entirely. An AWD option would make sense but would be expensive since even the sedan isn't set up that way. If it was available , we'd be complaining that it cost too much for "just a TSX".
Old 04-07-10, 07:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
There's complaints about no V6 or manual option but those options don't sell in the sedan version in the real world.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and complain about what's not available, but Acura has to deal with reality. The TSX sells in 4 cylinder automatics almost entirely. An AWD option would make sense but would be expensive since even the sedan isn't set up that way. If it was available , we'd be complaining that it cost too much for "just a TSX".
Well that continues to be Acura's problem isn't it. They cannot command luxury prices so they limit the TSX here. Meanwhile the Honda Accord Crosstour gets AWD and a V-6.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the "Luxury car" have the higher end engine and AWD? This is why people don't see Acura as a luxury brand but only as brand for Honda owners to move up to.

I mean jeez they are selling basically two Accords to two different brands here.

I mean Nissan doesn't give the Maxima RWD and the 330hp engine. The G37 gets RWD and the 330hp engine, the Maxima gets 290hp and FWD.

Old 04-07-10, 07:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Even if it doesn't sell, it's suppose to help boost image if there is any for Acura.

I say keep it as an option. No necessary R&D since the sedan is the same damn platform. Don't make the V6 TSX until a customer orders one so you know he/she is willing to pay for it. It's a bone-head move by Acura to say no.
Old 04-07-10, 07:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Even if it doesn't sell, it's suppose to help boost image if there is any for Acura.

I say keep it as an option. No necessary R&D since the sedan is the same damn platform. Don't make the V6 TSX until a customer orders one so you know he/she is willing to pay for it. It's a bone-head move by Acura to say no.
Lol I agree, wagons don't boost image. If they wanted a wagon to boost image they would build something like this..Luxury and full of excess...CTS-V wagon...

Wagons HURT image, that is why everyone is making crossovers and ditched wagons. Now they have 3 sedans, a wagon and 2 SUVs. How exciting.

I completely agree just make it an option. I mean why not? At least compete with your own Honda Crosstour.

Old 04-07-10, 12:48 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now they have 3 sedans, a wagon and 2 SUVs. How exciting.
you forgot about the ZDX.....................
Old 04-07-10, 01:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

We gladly forgot the ZitDX.
Old 04-07-10, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
I look at this car and all I see is a Subaru Legacy Wagon...with an ugly plastic beak.
Legacys and Outbacks (in America) are all AWD. That is not even offered as an option on this car.
Old 04-07-10, 01:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
We gladly forgot the ZitDX.
You guys literally had me lol

Thats not a SUV or a sedan...its a hermaphrodite.

Quick Reply: New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming