Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
you forgot about the ZDX.....................
Originally Posted by IS-SV
We gladly forgot the ZitDX.
NOBODY forgets the ZDX. They just get to the point where they don't want to look at it...or discuss it.
Old 04-07-10, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Thats not a SUV or a sedan...its a hermaphrodite.
Based on actual sales statistics, buyers are forgetting the ZitDX, RL and RDX consistently. Maybe due to low volume, Acura will call them exotics.
Old 04-07-10, 01:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
NOBODY forgets the ZDX. They just get to the point where they don't want to look at it...or discuss it.
or buy it.
Old 04-07-10, 02:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Regarding the TSX wagon, I'm probably in the minority, but a small 4 cyl wagon doesn't necessarily have to have AWD.

Even with the bad winter storms around here, FWD with TRAC and VSC is more than enough to get around. IMO AWD in a car like this is NICE to have and not a NEED to have.

I kind of like the wagon, but doubt that it will sell very well in the U.S.
Old 04-07-10, 02:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Regarding the TSX wagon, I'm probably in the minority, but a small 4 cyl wagon doesn't necessarily have to have AWD.

Even with the bad winter storms around here, FWD with TRAC and VSC is more than enough to get around. IMO AWD in a car like this is NICE to have and not a NEED to have.
Certainly a valid point for many. But often these cars are marketed to those that use the cars for winter sports (skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc.), they drive into steep hills and mountains and really need the AWD. And out west in the high mountains "chain requirements" for non-AWD and non-4WD cars makes AWD more than just a nice to have feature.
Old 04-07-10, 05:57 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my eyes this is the second best looking wagon sold in the U.S., right behind Audi A4 Avant.
Old 04-07-10, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Certainly a valid point for many. But often these cars are marketed to those that use the cars for winter sports (skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc.), they drive into steep hills and mountains and really need the AWD. And out west in the high mountains "chain requirements" for non-AWD and non-4WD cars makes AWD more than just a nice to have feature.

There are some passes in the Western mountain ranges where the police or state troopers won't let you through in bad snow conditions if you don't have chains or AWD. I have not been out there myself lately to actually experience this, but have gotten some reports from those who have. A friend of mine, for example, was riding in the front seat of a Subaru, and troopers let him and his driver through when they were stopping many others.

Be that as it may, I'd still like to see the TSX Sport Wagon get AWD...and the ground clearance raised a little. First, I'd take a serious look at it myself, and, Second, there's nothing wrong with the Outback getting some good competition.....the Venza and Crosstour, while good products mechanically, are just too awkward-looking for my tastes, though I could still live with either one as a daily driver if I had to. The Volvo XC-70 Cross-Country and Audi Quattro Avant wagons, of course, both cost more $$$$$.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 09:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

There are some passes in the Western mountain ranges where the police or state troopers won't let you through in bad snow conditions if you don't have chains or AWD. I have not been out there myself lately to actually experience this, but have gotten some reports from those who have. A friend of mine, for example, was riding in the front seat of a Subaru, and troopers let him and his driver through when they were stopping many others.
It's the law in CA when "chain controls" are in place, AWD/4WD or chains required under certain conditions. On the major passes they briefly inspect the vehicles at checkpoints for that criteria during storms. The conditions over these high passes can be severe, I know from many experiences in driving in these conditions personally.

The Venza is the best looking car in this class IMO by far and will easily outsell the TSX wagon if the TSX wagon is sold in the US.
Old 04-08-10, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Venza is the best looking car in this class IMO by far and will easily outsell the TSX wagon if the TSX wagon is sold in the US.
I respectfully disagree on the Venza's looks (which is subjective, of course), but we can leave that for another thread. As far as the sales figures go, if the TSX Sportwagon doesn't get an AWD option like the Venza, you are probably right. But if it does, then that's likely a different matter. And I would seriously look at one myself.
Old 04-08-10, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I respectfully disagree on the Venza's looks (which is subjective, of course), but we can leave that for another thread. As far as the sales figures go, if the TSX Sportwagon doesn't get an AWD option like the Venza, you are probably right. But if it does, then that's likely a different matter. And I would seriously look at one myself.

Even if the TSX gets AWD (not likely), the Venza will most likely outsell it.

Currently the Venza is outselling the TSX by nearly 2 to 1 ratio.
Old 04-08-10, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Even if the TSX gets AWD (not likely), the Venza will most likely outsell it.

Currently the Venza is outselling the TSX by nearly 2 to 1 ratio.
I agree. If the TSX sedan is being outsold 2 to 1 by the Venza, the gap vs. the TSX wagon will be even greater.

Small wagons, as nice & practical as they are, IMO, just don't sell well here in the U.S.
Old 04-08-10, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Its not about "sense" and that is what Acura keeps forgetting. This is their supposed "luxury" brand and we get another FWD, I-4 car. Where is the "excess"?

If they had anything resembling brains, they would have put SH-AWD on it AT LEAST so they can at least say "its the best handling or fastest or something" wagon. Instead they have nothing to say why its "better".

The Honda/Acura I knew in the 1990s would have kept it FWD but at least offered a manual and a more potent engine option!

Old 04-08-10, 11:25 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why the Venza is being compared. The Venza is a tall crossover wagon, the TSX is a traditional sedan based wagon. I highly doubt anyone will cross shop the two either.
Old 04-08-10, 12:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The lines are blurred in this kind of vehicle no doubt, but the point is the Venza (which could be called a "tall crossover wagon") has enjoyed more sales success than other traditional sedan based wagons. It's not just a comparison of Venza vs. TSX wagon, it's more about a type of vehicle that American buyers actually prefer and actually buy.
Old 04-08-10, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I don't know why the Venza is being compared. The Venza is a tall crossover wagon, the TSX is a traditional sedan based wagon. I highly doubt anyone will cross shop the two either.
The Venza is being compared because it is probably the closest thing that Toyota currently has, in the American market, to the TSX wagon (the Matrix is too small). A traditional Camry wagon was offered up to 1996, but was then dropped (mistakenly, IMO). All-Trac/AWD Camrys were also once offered in the American market, and then also (mistakenly, IMO) dropped, but the AWD Venza, to some extent, makes up for that.

It also illustrates the fact that had Toyota continued both the Camry wagon and All-Trac option here in the U.S., it would not have had to waste time and money developing the Venza to start with.

As far as the cross-shopping potential goes, as I said above, I think a good part of that depends on if the TSX Wagon gets AWD or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-10 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming