Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming

New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming

There's quite a phenomenon at this year's New York Auto Show. Two – yes, two wagons have debuted. The first was the Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon (our current pick for Best In Show, we might add), and the second is from Acura. The U.S.-market Acura TSX is the Honda Accord overseas, and the wagon variant that other markets will finally come to our shores to fill out the TSX lineup.

From all appearances, the only differences between the Euro Accord wagon and the TSX Sport Wagon are the addition of Acura badges and a slightly more upscale interior. Powering the Sport Wagon is the same 2.4-liter inline-four found in the sedan, mated exclusively to a five-speed automatic transmission. Official fuel economy numbers haven't been finalized just yet, but Acura claims that the wagon will achieve around 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

Sadly, the TSX wagon is only available with front-wheel drive, as Acura says that it has no plans to offer its Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system in the TSX range. A pity, since we're big fans of this grips-at-all-paws setup. This could prove to be a sticking point for some consumers, however, especially since Acura's claimed competitive set (BMW 3 Series and Audi A4, namely) both offer all-wheel drive.

Still, we're always pleased to see another wagon on the road, and we're hoping that consumers will feel the same when the TSX Sport Wagon hits dealerships in late Fall. For now, hit the jump to read the full details in Acura's press release and click through our attached galleries to see the new wagon from all angles.
[/CENTER]

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/n...le-but-somewh/
Old 03-31-10, 02:48 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just traded in my 1G TSX for a 2004 RX330. I had three Acura's previously and was hoping that the TSX wagon came with a diesel option. I thought they could achieve more torque and better mpg. They didn't. I'm a bit disappointed in Acura. There design team is driving loyal Acura customers away with their front fascias.

This looks better than the Honda Crosstour. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells.
Old 03-31-10, 02:49 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the beak of a grill that is holding it back other than that it looks great!
Old 03-31-10, 03:06 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So no V6 offered with the wagon?
Old 03-31-10, 03:23 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

No V6 and No SH-AWD? Almost Acura, could have had quite a contender.

That said, I think it looks great, grille (really I never understood the hate for it, it always looked fine on the TSX) and all.
Old 03-31-10, 03:54 PM
Dez
Driver

Maybe its just me, but this looks kind of outdated.
Old 03-31-10, 05:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
So no V6 offered with the wagon?
So MT offered with the wagon? So no 2.3L Turbo offered with the wagon?

Acura = underwhelming, but at least you can get the TL with AWD, a potent engine, and a 6MT. It's hard to get all of that in one package nowadays.
Old 03-31-10, 05:54 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i like it. this is what honda should be. not too long ago, Honda didn't offend anyone.

i know the beak sucks(but this is the best looking beak when compared to other acuras), but everything else is classic honda's safe design. it doesn't stand out, but never ugly. somewhat handsome, but won't win the beauty contest. that used to be the definition of Honda.

Last edited by joe80; 03-31-10 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 06:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No V6 or SH-AWD? Why does Honda seem to come up short on everything. The TSX wagon is a good idea, but they had to stop there and not include the goodies. Then again I would hate to price out a V6 wagon SH-AWD with tech/navi/blah blah blah package.
Old 03-31-10, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sadly, the TSX wagon is only available with front-wheel drive, as Acura says that it has no plans to offer its Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system in the TSX range. A pity, since we're big fans of this grips-at-all-paws setup. This could prove to be a sticking point for some consumers, however, especially since Acura's claimed competitive set (BMW 3 Series and Audi A4, namely) both offer all-wheel drive.
Yep....a bad marketing error. I would be SERIOUSLY interested in a TSX AWD wagon. Probably #2 on a potential shopping list, right behind the Outback.
Old 03-31-10, 07:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep....a bad marketing error.
You just have to wonder who is running this company. ..."Yeah we spent money developing AWD and hybrids, but we're not going to sell it to the people who will buy it."
Old 03-31-10, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Why even have Acura? Honda gives the USDM accord crossturd awd and a V-6. The "Acura" is a Honda euro accord with a beak, fwd, I-4 with a 5 speed auto from 1992.

Their Lineup has 3 sedans one with a wagon and 3 SUVs all equating to the excitement of opening a milk carton.

Just Lame.

Old 03-31-10, 07:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

People are quick to point out what it doesn't have knowing damn well no one will ever buy those configurations. Then if they did, it would be too expensive.

Last edited by GFerg; 03-31-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 07:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I'm not feeling the love, but it looks better than the Crossturd and ZitDX.

And the Acura beak on this thing seems to be receding a bit, might just fall off like a scab next year maybe......
Old 03-31-10, 07:30 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
People are quick to point out what it doesn't have knowing damn well no one will ever buy those configurations. Then if they did, it would be too expensive.
Yeah a base AWD V6 TSX Wagon would cost nearly $40K, and who's going to pay that much for an Acura?

Quick Reply: New York 2010: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon is lovable, but somewhat underwhelming