Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

here we go again.....Oil settles near $85, higher fuel costs ahead

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 10:09 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Premium Fuel at my local fuel station is $3.29/gal. Reg is 2.89.

I find it funny how it is about that all the way down Interstate 81, until you cross the Pennsylvania state line.

1st gas station on the PA side of I-81, premium is 2.89. WHY?
Old 04-03-10, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Premium Fuel at my local fuel station is $3.29/gal. Reg is 2.89.

I find it funny how it is about that all the way down Interstate 81, until you cross the Pennsylvania state line.

1st gas station on the PA side of I-81, premium is 2.89. WHY?
Don't have a crystal ball here, but the most likely reason is lower gas/buisness/property taxes in PA. NY, like CA, is a notoriously expensive and high-tax state. It's probably just cheaper to run a gas station in PA than NY.

Local supply/demand and competition may also play a role. I haven't been on the PA turnpike in a number of years, but when I used to drive it across the mountains to OH, I noticed that stations in rest-areas on the turnpike itself, where there was very limited-access, exits were miles apart, and there was little competition, tended to be a couple of cents more simply because of the "Gotcha" factor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-10 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 12:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. You would be surprised at the number of people who don't realize that gas is more expensive in CA, and why. Many of them, when they first see the pump prices, think it is just oil-company price gouging.

Of course the blend alone doesn't count for the difference. Local pump prices also depend on the costs of running local gas stations.....utility costs, labor costs, property/buisness taxes, advertising (if applicable), maintence/repairs, etc....

But, in general, for all of these reasons and more, one can normally expect, on average, to pay more for gas in CA than in many other states. It's a shame, because many parts of CA are already expensive enough to live in anyway for other reasons (especially real estate), but a fact of life.
Yes, in general a lot of sweeping generalizations there, but yes I'd be surprised as to the clueless people that don't realize that gas costs more in CA. btw, should mention profits in all that above.
Old 04-03-10, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, in general a lot of sweeping generalizations there,
Generalizations or not, they determine the cost of running the station. And that, largely, determines what the pump prices will be.

btw, should mention profits in all that above.
Profits on the gas pumps alone are usually quite small. That's why most gas stations, today, include either a service/repair shop or a food mart with it....that's where they actually make most of their money. The rise of the food-mart gas station, in particular, has been phenominal in recent years....they now sometimes compete more with 7-Eleven than other gas stations.
Old 04-03-10, 06:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

state by state gasoline taxes.

http://www.api.org/statistics/fuelta...AP_JAN2010.pdf
Old 04-03-10, 10:09 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this on Discovery, back in the 60's a company offered to build 60 miles of monorail free in LA, FREE! Standard Oil thought that would be a bad idea so they lobbied successfully to have the local politicians kill it.

Too bad, today we would have 80 miles throughout LA, above the traffic, would have been great!

http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/la1963.html
Old 04-04-10, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mmarshall;5371846

Profits on the gas pumps alone are usually quite small. That's why most gas stations, today, include either a service/repair shop or a food mart with it....that's where they actually make most of their money. The rise of the food-mart gas station, in particular, has been phenominal in recent years....they now sometimes compete more with 7-Eleven than other gas stations.[/QUOTE]

A generalization, and the reason why I mentioned profits is that it should be included (because your original post did not include this important aspect). Profits vary from station to station, city to city, much depending on supply/demand and demographics and local economics. Profits for gas are substantial in many cases. Yes the junk food margins are better than gasoline but with the high volume of gasoline pumped, the total profits for gasoline usually exceed the total profit for non-gasoline purchases.
Old 04-05-10, 10:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Saw this on Discovery, back in the 60's a company offered to build 60 miles of monorail free in LA, FREE! Standard Oil thought that would be a bad idea so they lobbied successfully to have the local politicians kill it.

Too bad, today we would have 80 miles throughout LA, above the traffic, would have been great!

http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/la1963.html
just another example of the power the damn oil companies have