Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Volt MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 02:18 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Volt MPG question

Anyone know how much mpg you get for the Chevy Volt in gasoline mode? Also how many gallons of gas does the car hold?
Old 04-01-10, 02:23 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts

I haven't brushed up on my Volt knowledge lately, but the car never runs on gas power alone. Instead the engine is used to charge the batteries which continue to run the car. In other words, we won't know until the EPA figures out how they want to score the car
Old 04-01-10, 06:46 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

IIRC, the Volt is supposed to get about 40 MPG when running in generator mode.
Old 04-01-10, 10:36 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Does anybody know if it has a transmission or is direct drive (motor attached to wheels)?
Diesel-electric locomotives are quite efficient because they avoid drivetrain loss...the Volt should be more efficient if it was direct drive compared to the same engine going through a transmission, differential, cv joint, etc.
Old 04-02-10, 04:36 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
I haven't brushed up on my Volt knowledge lately, but the car never runs on gas power alone. Instead the engine is used to charge the batteries which continue to run the car. In other words, we won't know until the EPA figures out how they want to score the car
That's correct. The Volt is an electric car through and through. It is not driven by an ICE at all. Its drive wheels are driven by electric motors only. The on board ICE only charges the cells. The mileage estimates are all over the board from 45 MPG - 274 MPG. The big question is, what method will EPA use to certify the thing?
Old 04-02-10, 05:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The million dollar question.

I would hope that the Volt could average 60 MPG, after depleting its charge. I can only speculate though. Given that it has all of the hybrid goodies, such as regen. brakes, I would think that a large Li-ion battery pack being supplied by a small, efficient ICE, running at an optimal speed should out do the Prius.
Old 04-02-10, 08:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The million dollar question.

I would hope that the Volt could average 60 MPG, after depleting its charge. I can only speculate though. Given that it has all of the hybrid goodies, such as regen. brakes, I would think that a large Li-ion battery pack being supplied by a small, efficient ICE, running at an optimal speed should out do the Prius.
if it doesn't out do the prius...it will be a total fail IMO....I'm hoping for about 75mpg average.

that being said...it shouldn't be that difficult to get the MPG numbers...EPA just needs to run thru a few full tanks of gas and see what the MPG comes to...now WILL THEY do it this way...?? who knows??
Old 04-02-10, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Robert A. Lutz, G.M.’s soon-to-retire vice chairman, rode shotgun while I fiddled with the Volt’s attractive screen displays, which showed everything from fuel mileage to battery power levels. Mr. Lutz urged me to mash the gas on a short straightaway, which produced the instant-on torque of an electric car and reasonable acceleration; G.M. estimates a 10-second squirt from zero to 60 miles per hour. The Volt’s Sport mode can draw extra battery power for a bit more speed, and its regenerative brakes, which capture energy and return it to the battery, felt natural and linear.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...w-york/?src=mv

Old 04-03-10, 02:19 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Volt concept. Running through a few full tanks of gas to get an estimated MPG wont quite cut it though. The car is meant to be a plug in. Theoretically, you could get virtual unlimited MPG off the gas (Not that you would want gas sitting in the tank that long) if you keep plugging the car in to charge the batteries. Still though, I am curious how long a full gas tank would keep the Volts batteries charged.
Old 04-03-10, 04:05 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I don't believe that the EPA will be able to arrive at a number (or two - city & highway).

It's a mathematical impossibility. Because every single mile driven past the battery charge range changes that number. What a predicament.

They'll have to assign a new system of course. Basically, the window sticker may simply state the estimated 40 mile electric only range, and then the estimated regeneration mpg thereafter. You cannot figure a total mpg accurately (accept for one's individual trip). Marketing may be quite a challenge because of this.
Old 04-03-10, 04:45 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The EPA is still trying to figure this out:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...k-in-progress/
Old 04-03-10, 07:34 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

They should provide two estimates. One for is you drive X miles with the battery charged. Another if you drive X miles starting with the battery depleted.
Old 04-03-10, 03:15 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I don't believe that the EPA will be able to arrive at a number (or two - city & highway).

It's a mathematical impossibility. Because every single mile driven past the battery charge range changes that number. What a predicament.

They'll have to assign a new system of course. Basically, the window sticker may simply state the estimated 40 mile electric only range, and then the estimated regeneration mpg thereafter. You cannot figure a total mpg accurately (accept for one's individual trip). Marketing may be quite a challenge because of this.
Exactly! It's very much up in the air how they will test the Volt. It may be the first car in EPA's history to have multiple EPA estimates, although, unlikely. I think they will end up using averages of gas and electric, no plug-in.
Old 04-04-10, 01:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it is very unlikely that Volt will get anything above 40 mpg when batteries are depleted. Even 40 mpg will be victory, as it is less efficient system than Prius when batteries are out, and you have small petrol engine, powering electric motors which then power very heavy car. You have two added things in the equation - extra loses from petrol>electric and weight of car with useless batteries.

Unlike full hybrids like Prius, Volt will not recharge its battery during driving. More specifically, it will charge it only to keep minimum charge that is required for the health of batteries.

So when out of batteries, you are left with small engine in heavy car with extra parasitic losses. I see no way how could they get better mpg than Cruze for instance.

If you buy Volt, it would because you can fit into the concept of 40 miles of EV, with very few long distance trips. I for instance do not even need that, as a lot of europeans drive a lot less than that per day, so it is vehicle much better suited for Europe.

But, at the same time, due to taxing laws, you will be paying 50k-60k Euros for it in Europe, which is crazy expensive for that class (double the price, plus class itself is much lesser sold than in USA, here best selling cars are between 10k-15k euros), and most of us live in flats, so they need to build public charging stations next to parking slots.
Old 04-04-10, 12:09 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

^^ It would work great here in Metro Vancouver. I have never had a job further than 25 km (16 miles) round trip and most of my leisure trips hiking are less than 40 miles altogether. Plus, with the high gas prices, charging on electricity is going to cost pennies compared to $50 a tank. Since traffic is so bad, any car I drive gets around 15 L/100km (16 mpg) regardless of where I go...so this would use even less "fuel" since it can shut off.
The only issues I could see is the lack of charging bays in our condo building. Likewise, price will be a huge issue as well. However, I don't see why I would buy this if it was a solid, reliable, and quality built commuter car, though.

Quick Reply: Chevy Volt MPG question