Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New CAFE Standards are: 34.1 MPG by 2016?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 02:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Does the commerical airline industry have standards for which they will have to comply to in the future? I recall reading something about it, but it was sometime ago.
Not to mention cargo ships that pollute more than every car around. I mean why just pick on cars (and no one just blame the USA as other countries do to).

I've said it many times. WTF does an Altima, Camry, Accord need 275hp? Why? Car makers should have focused on MPG a long time ago.

Those that did will be winners in a few years with Toyota/Lexus/Hyundai/BMW leading the pack.

Old 04-06-10, 03:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure why we got on the large SUV fix. i understand vehicles such as the 4Runner or Explorer. However, I work in a congested town and I watch people attempt to parallel park their Tahoes and Suburbans from my window all day. Failure is usually the result. What is the appeal here? They're expensive, expensive to run, and difficult to drive.

because moms with small stature want to feel big on the road.

americans have an overcompensation issue.
Old 04-06-10, 08:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Does the commerical airline industry have standards for which they will have to comply to in the future? I recall reading something about it, but it was sometime ago.
Or big rigs, buses, and trucks. It is odd when I am on the road and see so many 18 wheelers and buses spewing so much thick plumes of black smoke into the air yet there is all these regulations forced mainly just on passenger cars which actually are pretty clean and pollute very little now. Those 18 wheelers, big trucks, and buses don't seem to have to abide by any kind of real modern standard with how much smoke they spew and I see tons of older models on the road. I know some will say there are more cars on the road but from my experiences taking trips to the east coast there are tons of 18 wheelers on the road and there seem to be more and more every year clogging the highways. What good is having all these numerous tough regulations mainly on passenger cars going to do when all these 18 wheelers, dump trucks, buses, etc don't seem to have any and spew tons of dirty exhaust into the atmosphere.
Old 04-07-10, 05:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've said it many times. WTF does an Altima, Camry, Accord need 275hp? Why? Car makers should have focused on MPG a long time ago.
+1

that's why I'm glad they're being forced to comply with the new MPG requirements.

Originally Posted by UDel
Or big rigs, buses, and trucks. It is odd when I am on the road and see so many 18 wheelers and buses spewing so much thick plumes of black smoke into the air yet there is all these regulations forced mainly just on passenger cars which actually are pretty clean and pollute very little now. Those 18 wheelers, big trucks, and buses don't seem to have to abide by any kind of real modern standard with how much smoke they spew and I see tons of older models on the road. I know some will say there are more cars on the road but from my experiences taking trips to the east coast there are tons of 18 wheelers on the road and there seem to be more and more every year clogging the highways. What good is having all these numerous tough regulations mainly on passenger cars going to do when all these 18 wheelers, dump trucks, buses, etc don't seem to have any and spew tons of dirty exhaust into the atmosphere.
have to admit this is a HUGE issue to me as well....diesel exhaust is a known carcinogen...not only that, those fumes just kill me...I can't breathe that **** [my 06 IS350 was nice because it had a smog sensor that automatically changed the a/c to recirculate]...I pass every diesel vehicle I can because I don't want to breathe that crap.

Last edited by bagwell; 04-07-10 at 05:45 AM.