Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cracking Engine Blocks on 2006, 2007 and a select few 2008 Honda Civic's (non Si)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 01:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Good find. I wonder if an updated 2010 is out there somewhere
Old 01-23-13, 08:52 AM
FirstHonda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Honda Civic - Honda replaced cracked short block

Hi everyone, I have personal experience on the cracked engine block. Car was overheating - made it to the dealer. They immediately recognized the problem then verified it was the short block. Told me that this was a problem with my year car. Pacific Honda in San Diego fixed it and covered the entire cost of almost $4000. I had 58,000 on my car. My only complaint is that the car is running a little rough - not smooth like before - so I am taking it back to have it checked.
I don't understand why Honda has not taken full responsibility and I don't understand why our states or country has not taken them to task for it. I posted my problem on the NHTSB website and noticed tons of these complaints. Also, there are other issues that are repeated over and over - my other problem which is that I am on my 3rd set of tires over $1000 - for what could be a problem with the design in the rear end of the car. I thought it was just me or that my car was out of alignment but I have been faithfully having it aligned since my 2nd set installed. My brother who has a 1995 Dodge Ram says he has never had to have his truck aligned - he drives thousands of miles a month and he still has his original tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honda needs to take responsibility for these problems and they have been flying under the radar now for some time. My cracked block happened in 2012, but it's a 2007. No telling when it can happen. My advice is that if you have the affected year Honda civic, take it to a dealer to have it checked and find one that will replace it at Honda's cost. they did it for me, they should do it for everyone - it's their FAULTY engine not mine! I don't know that I will ever buy another Honda for this reason.

In reply to:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Wow...this has me n-n-n-n-ervous.

8thcivic.com R18A1 Engine Blocks Cracking. Honda TSB 08-044.

CarComplaints.com, Honda Civic (non Si) Engine Blocks Cracking!!

I have the TSB from Honda of America in .pdf Format. Anyone know how to attach a PDF to a post?

I am posting this so any Clublexus members who have in their household or know someone who does have a 2006-2008 Honda Civic (EX, LX, DX, coupe or sedan, does not matter) can be made aware of the problem. As of right now it is only a TSB and as such, if it happens and you are out of warranty, you are SOL.

Great...this is making My wife and I SERIOUSLY consider trading in. Because we are still under a warranty, monetarily it doesnt matter. But the thought of driving a car that could literally leave us stranded, at any moment without warning makes me sick to my stomach. Whats worse is Honda knows about it, and they arent even making an attempt to issue a recall. A few people I know have had the issue...one was 10,000 miles out of warranty. Honda offered to pay for $500 of the repair. The total cost of the repair came to $4,259. She now has a 3800lb paperweight that she owes $10,000 on, and cannot afford to fix. She checked with her Insurance, they wont cover it. The average Civic owner doesnt have that much money just sitting around. I know I certainly dont.

Honda, I understand people make mistakes, and things happen. But at the very least, Own up and fix the problem. Reading all of those posts about it, it is clear to me there is no pattern, and this could happen at any time, any mileage. You dont have to issue a recall for it, Simply warranty this repair for a reasonable about of time, say 10/250,000. Thats more than reasonable and would make me, and MANY other Honda Civic owners, happy.

EDIT: I figured out how to attach a PDF. Here is the Official TSB From Honda.
Old 01-23-13, 08:56 AM
FirstHonda
Driver School Candidate

Default Take it to a Honda dealer right away

Hi everyone, I have personal experience on the cracked engine block. Car was overheating - made it to the dealer. They immediately recognized the problem then verified it was the short block. Told me that this was a problem with my year car. Pacific Honda in San Diego fixed it and covered the entire cost of almost $4000. I had 58,000 on my car. My only complaint is that the car is running a little rough - not smooth like before - so I am taking it back to have it checked.
I don't understand why Honda has not taken full responsibility and I don't understand why our states or country has not taken them to task for it. I posted my problem on the NHTSB website and noticed tons of these complaints. Also, there are other issues that are repeated over and over - my other problem which is that I am on my 3rd set of tires over $1000 - for what could be a problem with the design in the rear end of the car. I thought it was just me or that my car was out of alignment but I have been faithfully having it aligned since my 2nd set installed. My brother who has a 1995 Dodge Ram says he has never had to have his truck aligned - he drives thousands of miles a month and he still has his original tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honda needs to take responsibility for these problems and they have been flying under the radar now for some time. My cracked block happened in 2012, but it's a 2007. No telling when it can happen. My advice is that if you have the affected year Honda civic, take it to a dealer to have it checked and find one that will replace it at Honda's cost. they did it for me, they should do it for everyone - it's their FAULTY engine not mine! I don't know that I will ever buy another Honda for this reason.
Old 01-23-13, 08:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep my friend has a 07 that had this issue...Honda fixed it....but now at startup the exhaust manifold sounds like its leaking, sounds like crap.
Old 01-23-13, 09:01 AM
FirstHonda
Driver School Candidate

Default Check NHTSB website - see below for link

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Search using the 2nd option, select type of search = Vehicle, then follow the prompts to enter your particular year's info...

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great.
My son has a '08.Where are the VIN#'s?
Old 01-23-13, 09:14 AM
FirstHonda
Driver School Candidate

Default Class action lawsuits Honda Civics

THOUGHT THIS WAS VERY INTERESTING - especially about a class action lawsuit - one for the air conditioning and one for defects in the Honda civic. I am going to ck out the law suit website noted below with ******
As many of you know Honda isn't the quality product it use to be. Many of us have endured the dishonesty of both Honda Motors USA and their dealers playing dumb with the defective air conditioning systems which has resulted in a class action lawsuit. Today I spoke with the NJ Lawfirm handling the class action air conditioner lawsuit against Honda. The lawfirm confirmed Honda has entered into a settlement agreement pending court approval. Settlement amounts will vary according to mileage when your vehicles air conditioning system failed.

Unfortunately for Honda Civic Owners a new lawsuit has been filed for defects in the Honda Civic. If you own a 2006 or 2007 Civic please read the information below and go to
www.honda-lawsuit.com******
to register.

Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC, The Law Office of Robert L. Starr, and Strategic Legal Practices, APC, have filed a proposed class action lawsuit
against Honda relating to reported design defects in 2006 and 2007 Honda Civic vehicles. A copy of the Complaint can be found here: Honda Civic Premature Tire Wear Complaint

Due to the reported defects in these vehicles the rear tires on these vehicles can suffer from "cupping" and premature tire wear. Our investigation reveals that Honda sometimes denies warranty coverage for repairs caused by these
defects.

Please pass this information along to all your friends and family who own a Honda. We all work to hard for our money to be ripped off by this major world auto maker.

My CVR was the first Honda product I purchased and it will be the last! The air conditioner cost nearly $2000 to repair, I am now on my 3rd set of tires in less than 70,000 miles (it eats them up), and the interior is falling apart.

If you are thinking about buying a Honda, think twice they are NOT the cars they use to be. Both Honda USA and their dealers play dumb when you come in with a defective air conditioning system.

I was actually considering buying a new Honda Pilot and had visited the local dealer, a week later my AC system failed and I got to experience first hand how dishonest the whole lot of them are.

Another Honda, NEVER!
Old 01-23-13, 09:28 AM
FirstHonda
Driver School Candidate

Has your friend also had problems with the tire wear? I am on my 3rd set of tires at now 58,000 miles - there is a class action law suit regarding a defect in the rear of the car causing the excessive tire wear. He should visit the law suit website to sign up - I just did and I also mentioned the engine block problem - maybe they will look into that too. When I spend $21,000 on a car, a reputable company such as Honda should stand behind their products 100%.
http://www.newjerseyclassactionlawye...ure-tire-wear/

Let me know what you find out! Thanks for posting! I want to share this with all Honda owners I know.

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep my friend has a 07 that had this issue...Honda fixed it....but now at startup the exhaust manifold sounds like its leaking, sounds like crap.
Old 01-23-13, 09:47 AM
FirstHonda
Driver School Candidate

Hi ArmyofOne,

I am new to the forum and can't post but I have another issue with Honda Civics and apparently I am not the only one as there is a class action lawsuit about a design defect causing excessive wear on Civic tires. would you be able to help me post a new thread. Here is my content:

I am on my 3rd set of tires. Found out that there is a defect and Honda knows about it - I never received any kind of a recall from Honda.

I found this and thought it was interesting.

Federal Judge Certifies CA, NY & FL Class Regarding Honda Tire Wear Defects

On June 12, 2012, a California federal judge struck a blow to Honda, granting class certification to a suit brought by Mr. Mendelsohn alleging the automaker violated warranties and consumer protection laws by knowingly selling Civics that contained a major tire defect. U.S. District Judge Margaret M. Morrow certified two classes of plaintiffs who purchased or leased Civics made between 2006 and 2007 and Civic Hybrids made between 2006 and 2008. The suit alleges the cars have a rear suspension defect that can cause uneven and premature wear on the rear tires and sudden tire failure.

The first class includes plaintiffs who bought or leased Civics in California and allege claims for breach of express and implied warranty. The second class includes plaintiffs who bought or leased Civics in California, New York and Florida, and who assert consumer protection claims under those states’ laws. The judge rejected Honda’s argument that the plaintiffs needed to prove that each vehicle was “substantially certain” tp suffeer premature or uneven tire wear as a result of the alleged design defect, saying she was “aware of no case authority supporting this proposition.” “Indeed, the case law suggests the contrary,” the judge said. The casde law only “mandates only that plaintiffs show there was a defect in the class vehicles that created an ‘unreasonable risk’ of safety problems.”

The decision means Honda now must explain to a jury why it waited until January 2008 to notify customers about the alleged defect when, according to the lawsuit, Honda learned about the defect through various sources, including prerelease testing data and early consumer complaints to Honda and its dealers. Though Honda issued a bulletin to dealers and began covering certain repair costs and providing reimbursement for prematurely worn tires, the plaintiffs allege the automaker moved too late and neglected to include all class vehicles with the alleged rear suspension defect in its bulletin.

For additional information regarding this case, please contact a Honda Class Action Lawyer.
http://www.newjerseyclassactionlawye...-wear-defects/

TAGS WOULD BE: tires, Civic, design defect, excessive wear
Just let me know. Thank you!
Old 01-23-13, 09:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My son had an '08 we bought new with no problems when it was traded with hard driven 110k miles other than a starter.
The only odd issue was the need for front brake pads every 18K or so miles.Seems to be an issue from what I've read on forums.
That's it!
Old 01-23-13, 05:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstHonda
Has your friend also had problems with the tire wear? I am on my 3rd set of tires at now 58,000 miles - there is a class action law suit regarding a defect in the rear of the car causing the excessive tire wear. He should visit the law suit website to sign up - I just did and I also mentioned the engine block problem - maybe they will look into that too. When I spend $21,000 on a car, a reputable company such as Honda should stand behind their products 100%.
http://www.newjerseyclassactionlawye...ure-tire-wear/

Let me know what you find out! Thanks for posting! I want to share this with all Honda owners I know.
nope, no issues with tire wear...he is only on his second set of tires with 120K miles.
Old 01-23-13, 10:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstHonda
Hi ArmyofOne,

I am new to the forum and can't post but I have another issue with Honda Civics and apparently I am not the only one as there is a class action lawsuit about a design defect causing excessive wear on Civic tires. would you be able to help me post a new thread. Here is my content:

I am on my 3rd set of tires. Found out that there is a defect and Honda knows about it - I never received any kind of a recall from Honda.

I found this and thought it was interesting.

Federal Judge Certifies CA, NY & FL Class Regarding Honda Tire Wear Defects

On June 12, 2012, a California federal judge struck a blow to Honda, granting class certification to a suit brought by Mr. Mendelsohn alleging the automaker violated warranties and consumer protection laws by knowingly selling Civics that contained a major tire defect. U.S. District Judge Margaret M. Morrow certified two classes of plaintiffs who purchased or leased Civics made between 2006 and 2007 and Civic Hybrids made between 2006 and 2008. The suit alleges the cars have a rear suspension defect that can cause uneven and premature wear on the rear tires and sudden tire failure.

The first class includes plaintiffs who bought or leased Civics in California and allege claims for breach of express and implied warranty. The second class includes plaintiffs who bought or leased Civics in California, New York and Florida, and who assert consumer protection claims under those states’ laws. The judge rejected Honda’s argument that the plaintiffs needed to prove that each vehicle was “substantially certain” tp suffeer premature or uneven tire wear as a result of the alleged design defect, saying she was “aware of no case authority supporting this proposition.” “Indeed, the case law suggests the contrary,” the judge said. The casde law only “mandates only that plaintiffs show there was a defect in the class vehicles that created an ‘unreasonable risk’ of safety problems.”

The decision means Honda now must explain to a jury why it waited until January 2008 to notify customers about the alleged defect when, according to the lawsuit, Honda learned about the defect through various sources, including prerelease testing data and early consumer complaints to Honda and its dealers. Though Honda issued a bulletin to dealers and began covering certain repair costs and providing reimbursement for prematurely worn tires, the plaintiffs allege the automaker moved too late and neglected to include all class vehicles with the alleged rear suspension defect in its bulletin.

For additional information regarding this case, please contact a Honda Class Action Lawyer.
http://www.newjerseyclassactionlawye...-wear-defects/

TAGS WOULD BE: tires, Civic, design defect, excessive wear
Just let me know. Thank you!
there was an issue in 2006 and 2007 civics for rear camber arms causing uneven tire wear on the inside of the tire due to negative camber. i have not had a civic in awhile. it was 2 trucks ago. but i do remember my dealer fixing the issue under my warranty free of charge.
Old 12-25-14, 04:57 PM
Gadier
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry to let you know that you're wrong

I've talked to several people that their cars were made in 6/08 and still have this situation going on. How do you explain that?

QUOTE=ArmyofOne;5372554]Im not blasting Honda. Their reputation is undeniable. **** happens, even the smartest engineers cant catch everything.

I think its screwed up that if you are out of warranty you are screwed. They dont even require a tune-up for 100k miles, but the engine could possibly last less than HALF of that.

Honda did not list VIN numbers, because EVERY civic with a 1.8L that was built from June 05, to November 07 when they caught the defect in the casting is succeptable. EVERY block cast between those dates has the potential to simply bust open.

So far in the Honda database (My mother-in-law is a Financial Manager at my local dealer, and she looked into this with the District Service Manager, who called HOA's Database), there are over 4500 reported cases (In the US alone), and 3600 of them happened before 100,000 miles. 4 of them were over 200,000. This means may of the engines that are failing, are sticking the customer with a nearly $5,000 bill, and some of them are paying payments on $15,000+ paperweights.

4500 engines may not seem like alot compared to the hundreds of thousands of Civics made in that year and a half, but really it is quite a few. Honda knows about the problem, and they are tracking it, but issuing a recall of this magnitude makes ZERO sense. They should simply warranty the defect for a Reasonable amount of time. This way they are not replacing blocks that do not need it. It is quite possible that some will never have a problem. But it is equally within the realm of possibility, that EVERY R18 engine will EVENTUALLY fail from this defect, if something else doesnt cause engine failure first.

I can say this much, at least Japanese/korean automakers learn from their mistakes. As soon as this defect was caught, it was published to service departments and the casting was changed so that no more engines were made with the defective formula...unlike Chrysler, who STILL has transmission issues with certian cars and has for 20+ years.

Im not saying that you should get a free engine if you have 390,000 miles in 15 years and it happens. but at 4 years old with less than 150k? Come on. I understand, sometimes things get through QA/QC. It happens. But own up to it and stay loyal to your customers.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-25-14, 06:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadier
I've talked to several people that their cars were made in 6/08 and still have this situation going on. How do you explain that?
Necro callout bump of a two year old thread about Honda on a Lexus forum....

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-25-14 at 06:05 PM.