Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz confirms 2011 C-Class Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Och I don't think people care. They sold 6,000 C class sedans last month. Contrary to Internet "more hp is better banter chatter" people want the prestige of a Benz with it's good features and fantastic looks.

New engines are coming but sales r fine with the old engines.

It's the luxury market and if people want a car based on badge that is their choice and more power to the brand who's cache is that strong.

Old 04-04-10, 10:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Och I don't think people care. They sold 6,000 C class sedans last month. Contrary to Internet "more hp is better banter chatter" people want the prestige of a Benz with it's good features and fantastic looks.

It's the luxury market and if people want a car based on badge that is their choice and more power to the brand who's cache is that strong.
I know, most people buy the base engines anyway. This coupe will easily add another 1500-2000 units per months to the C class sales.

It baffles me how Lexus still wont make IS coupe
Old 04-04-10, 11:53 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

oh haha are rominl, are you part of generation benz? I was in that but i got kicked out because I didnt log in enough, haha my mistake about what you saw. I hear you get a lot of goodies too
Old 04-04-10, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
oh haha are rominl, are you part of generation benz? I was in that but i got kicked out because I didnt log in enough, haha my mistake about what you saw. I hear you get a lot of goodies too
hehe, np at all yup, i am ok active on there. trust me, there are tons of goodies, i have been involved in a lot of stuff, can't be happier. that's how i got in the e63 driving event and see the sls up close in person too (well, not like the car is very attractive). there are some other stuff as well that i can't really talk about

on the coupe, i am not 100% sure on the size coz' it was picture of itself only, so it's hard to compare the size with the sedan
Old 04-04-10, 08:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

That looks pretty nice, and if they make it, it will be an instant hit with badge *****s

With that being said, MB needs to boost up the performance of its 3.5 V6 to make it competitive with 335/IS350/G37 to get the attention of enthusiasts. They have the weakest engine in class.
1. I like this coupe.

2. The MB 3.5L is the weakest and least efficient as well. Def. needs improvement. European models now have DI. Why isn't that tech in the U.S.?
Old 04-05-10, 01:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe, np at all yup, i am ok active on there. trust me, there are tons of goodies, i have been involved in a lot of stuff, can't be happier. that's how i got in the e63 driving event and see the sls up close in person too (well, not like the car is very attractive). there are some other stuff as well that i can't really talk about
Fascinating!!! With some of my relatives having gone from Mercedes-Benz to Lexus, and been longtime Mercedes owners, they didn't get that type of access...

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So that's just about everyone now except Lexus. I'd buy a IS coupe (non convertible) in a heartbeat if there was such a model. The 3IS better step up to the competition.
Absolutely!!!
Old 04-05-10, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Fascinating!!! With some of my relatives having gone from Mercedes-Benz to Lexus, and been longtime Mercedes owners, they didn't get that type of access...

Absolutely!!!
i will say mb is seriously putting a lot of effort in understanding the younger generation and try to attack both designs and marketing. i can't say if they will succeed or not, but i am giving them a lot of credit. they have a special department that ONLY allows genY, etc... i don't see that with audi or bmw or lexus
Old 04-05-10, 04:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Good points, Mercedes is not standing still. And the top-selling C-class in the US is the C300 with a modest 228hp 3.0L V6 (which actually sounds great at WOT with proper standard real dual exhausts).

I've driven one of the C-class sedans for a several thousand miles, the structural integrity, safety equipment, long-distance comfort, high speed stability, interior roominess, sightlines/visibilty is best in class, amongst the similar-sized tier 1 premium compact sedans.
Old 04-05-10, 06:10 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

That looks pretty nice, and if they make it, it will be an instant hit with badge *****s

With that being said, MB needs to boost up the performance of its 3.5 V6 to make it competitive with 335/IS350/G37 to get the attention of enthusiasts. They have the weakest engine in class.
That car looks really nice

Regarding the engine, MB is supposed to be offering twin-turbos on all their models (AMGs will have the most powerful, the 550 versions will be less powerful, and the C class will have a TT V6).
Old 05-26-10, 06:55 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Mercedes C-Class Coupe & Convertible Coming

The C-Class powered by a V-6 engine is currently the smallest model offered by Mercedes-Benz in the U.S. but that's all about to change as the automaker is planning a raft of new, more efficient models to help meet more stringent fuel economy regulations as well as increase market share. Mercedes-Benz is in fact predicting that a family of compact models based on its next-generation B-Class platform, as well as new coupe and convertible derivatives of its next C-Class, will help boost sales in the U.S. by as much as 30 percent over the next five years.

The information comes from Mercedes’ U.S. chief Ernst Lieb who revealed to Automotive News that the automaker is planning a compact car onslaught starting from 2012. The first models will be based on the next-generation B-Class and will include a new coupe, crossover and sedan. A high-performance AMG variant is also planned.

These will be followed by an all-new C-Class in 2013. This new model will be built in the U.S. and will also spawn coupe and convertible variants. Note that a new coupe based on the current C-Class will go on sale next year as well.

Mercedes-Benz is primarily targeting BMW, specifically the 1- and 3-Series families. The automaker will also be offering a new range of four-cylinder units, both gasoline and diesel.

The biggest hurdle, however, remains pricing. The cheapest C-Class is currently listed at $33,600 so any model positioned below this car, such as the new B-Class derivatives, will have to be even cheaper than that. Expect pricing to be comparable with the BMW 1-Series, which itself starts at just over $29,000 in the U.S.
Old 05-26-10, 10:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

^^^yikes, of course speculating, that rear looks like an audi.

if the coupe looks anything like what dustinv posted, that's much better
than the old gen egg-shape hatch coupe abortion.