Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz confirms 2011 C-Class Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 09:34 PM
LexFather

Post Mercedes-Benz confirms 2011 C-Class Coupe

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/02/m...c-class-coupe/

Mercedes-Benz plant Bremen: Bremen plant to produce additional model of the C Class model range as of 2011

Development as a competence centre: Bremen plant expanding production operations to include Coupé of the C-Class
New variant to be produced in addition to the C-Class Saloon, the C-Class Estate and the GLK as of 2011
Flexible production: Coupé to be produced with three existing models on a single line
Peter Schabert, Head of the Bremen plant: "Decision another milestone on our way to becoming the C-Class competence centre and a clear sign of trust in Bremen team's capabilities and standards."

Bremen - The Mercedes-Benz plant in Bremen is gearing up for the production of a fourth model of the high-volume C-Class model range. As of 2011, a Coupé will be added to a flexible production line, which already produces the three existing models. This will be a new addition to Bremen's current production portfolio in the C-Class segment, comprising the Saloon, the Estate and the compact GLK sport utility vehicle (SUV).

"The decision by the Board of Management to produce the Coupé version of the current C-Class here in Bremen as well represents another important milestone on our way to becoming Mercedes' competence centre for the C-Class and is a clear sign of the trust in the Bremen team's capabilities and standards," says Peter Schabert, Head of the Mercedes-Benz plant in Bremen.

The Bremen plant is developed into the worldwide competence centre for the high-volume C-Class model series. Allocating production of the new Coupé to the plant is in keeping with this strategy. As announced in December 2009, the launch of the next generation of the C-Class at the plant as of 2014 will see production of the C-Class Saloon for markets in Europe concentrated at a single location together with the production of the other C-Class model variants.

Flexible production
The Bremen plant is already demonstrating the flexibility of its production operations by producing three models (C-Class Saloon, C-Class Estate and GLK) on a single assembly line. The vehicles are able to pass along the assembly line in any conceivable order precisely as customer orders require, irrespective of model, variant (right- or left-hand drive, all-wheel or rear-wheel drive) and equipment. From 2011 the Bremen plant will be integrating a fourth model into the production process in the guise of the Coupé, demonstrating the plant's flexibility once again.

Production portfolio of the Bremen plant
In addition to the models of the C-Class model series, vehicles belonging to the E-Class are also produced in Bremen, with the Coupé and Cabrio running in flexible configuration on a single production line. The roadsters of the SL- and SLK-Class are also produced exclusively in Bremen. With a workforce of around 12,600, the Mercedes-Benz plant is the largest private-sector employer in the region.

Old 04-03-10, 09:42 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how this is going to work seeing as how the E-class coupe is the same size as the C-class sedan already...
Old 04-03-10, 10:47 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, the E Class coupe is actually based on the C-Class platform already, so it'll be interesting to see how they position this C-Class coupe.
Old 04-03-10, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have seen picture of the c class coupe, umm.... i am not a fan

if anything, they have the 1 series to compete with?
Old 04-04-10, 12:22 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have seen picture of the c class coupe, umm.... i am not a fan

if anything, they have the 1 series to compete with?
I dont think anybody has seen what the coupe will look like

I think you might be referring to the CLC sold in other countries which uses the w204 front end, w203 interior, w203 side profile and a ugly rear end. It was a half assed attempt

Old 04-04-10, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont think anybody has seen what the coupe will look like

I think you might be referring to the CLC sold in other countries which uses the w204 front end, w203 interior, w203 side profile and a ugly rear end. It was a half assed attempt

i am part of a specific community within mbusa and we were shown some pictures and rendering of the c coupe. they said it wasn't finalized but it's "close". of course, how close they were, god knows

but my feedback was i wasn't a real fan. between that and sedan version, sedan looks more handsome
Old 04-04-10, 01:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

So that's just about everyone now except Lexus. I'd buy a IS coupe (non convertible) in a heartbeat if there was such a model. The 3IS better step up to the competition.
Old 04-04-10, 01:20 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i am part of a specific community within mbusa and we were shown some pictures and rendering of the c coupe. they said it wasn't finalized but it's "close". of course, how close they were, god knows

but my feedback was i wasn't a real fan. between that and sedan version, sedan looks more handsome
So you were in a focus group? Or what?

How large was it?
Old 04-04-10, 02:55 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the c coupe was in canada, but got replaced by the b class in 2005.

i think it was ugly. but the b class is uglier.
Old 04-04-10, 03:32 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MB's philosophy on coupes is just to remove the two extra doors, smoothen out the roof line, and call it a day.

I don't understand why they feel their coupes have to be derived from their pre-existing sedans.

BMW, Audi, and Infiniti need to show them a few things about coupes

Unless you are getting in to supercar territory, MB is just so bland when it comes to coupes.
Old 04-04-10, 06:25 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
It was a half assed attempt

It wasn't an attempt at all. It was more of an extreme facelift for the old C class sportcoupe. The CLC, as has often been advertised in Mercedes press releases, is a stop-gap car designed to fill this small market niche until the new A or B class coupes (one of them will be RWD) hit the market.

The real C class coupe should look something along these lines if we're to believe these digitally altered images.

Old 04-04-10, 07:15 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

That doesn't look bad. The hatchback C class coupe that was sold here years ago was a flop. I don't think a newer version of it would do any better.
Old 04-04-10, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
It wasn't an attempt at all. It was more of an extreme facelift for the old C class sportcoupe. The CLC, as has often been advertised in Mercedes press releases, is a stop-gap car designed to fill this small market niche until the new A or B class coupes (one of them will be RWD) hit the market.

The real C class coupe should look something along these lines if we're to believe these digitally altered images.
Please stop defending EVERY time. It was a horrible attempt and laughable effort. New C-class styling, old C-class engineering. Call a spade a spade.

The new C-class coupe to me is a NO BRAINER and not sure what took so long. I just hope its not a hatchback and they call it a "coupe"

Old 04-04-10, 09:53 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please stop defending EVERY time. It was a horrible attempt and laughable effort. New C-class styling, old C-class engineering. Call a spade a spade.
Defending?

The car is a stop-gap measure. Mercedes literally gave the old C class sportcoupe a visual makeover to bring some freshness to it. The car is expected to be a low-volume seller designed to fill in some market gaps until the A and B class coupes arrive. Maybe these facts are not known back home, but when you read German automobile magazines and websites, which I do, you tend to receive more information about these vehicles.
Old 04-04-10, 10:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That looks pretty nice, and if they make it, it will be an instant hit with badge *****s

With that being said, MB needs to boost up the performance of its 3.5 V6 to make it competitive with 335/IS350/G37 to get the attention of enthusiasts. They have the weakest engine in class.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz confirms 2011 C-Class Coupe