Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the Honda Pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10 | 09:49 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've got another suggestion. Check out a 1 or 2 year old Subaru Tribeca. It comes with a 3rd-row seat, has Subaru's largest H-6 3.6L engine, comes (now) with a decent-looking grille instead of the silly ones on the early models, and has what IMO is the best AWD system on the market. Tribecas have not been very popular as either new or used models, so bargains can be had. In fact, if you can spend a little more than 30K, with discounting/bargaining, you might even get a brand-new Tribeca....they start at just over 30K. The basic Tribeca design is also old enough that it has not had some of the issues found on newer Subarus.

Only reason I don't like the Tribeca because the last gen had one of the tightest 3rd rows in the class if I remember correctly. Same goes for the last gen GX. A very tight nearly unusable 3rd row.
Old 04-05-10 | 10:13 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Guess I should elaborate a bit more, the suv will not be temporary, will keep it even after they leave. Im not really interested as whatever I choose will be my daily driver, and with a 50 mile commute, i doubt the GX would really work for me. I am really only looking at Honda and Toyota's. A minivan would be nice (just sold my 2003 sienna a year ago) but with just me driving something that big, its a big waste of space.

The new gen pilots are kinda fugly and look bulky, so im really looking for a 2003-2006 pilot and maybe a new-er highlander.

I really like this highlander, has the 3rd row: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming!

edit: i guess this would be the kind of pilot i would be looking for: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by lamar411; 04-05-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-05-10 | 10:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

IMO this is a no-brainer. Highlander all the way.
Old 04-05-10 | 10:44 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

My brother's wife drives an 04 Pilot.

Good
1) Lots of usable space
2) Good crash scores
3) Part-time AWD means good MPG and traction when you need it
4) Good resale

Bad
1) Gets very loud over 80mph
2) Not much driving feel

Most SUVs are some kind of compromise between a Mini-van and a truck. The pilot leans towards the mini-van side

The new gen Highlander looks better but will be smaller
Old 04-05-10 | 10:55 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I found this GX470, problems are that its a 2003 and ive never actually heard of the dealership before.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 04-05-10 | 11:02 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
I found this GX470, problems are that its a 2003 and ive never actually heard of the dealership before.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
I've driven the gx470. It is serious overkill for a commuter car. Unless you're gonna climb rocks, ski everyweekend or live in serious low-traction conditions, the gx470 makes no sense
Old 04-05-10 | 11:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, Mike. I know you don't like a lot of Honda/Acura products, but that's a little extreme. The Pilot is actually not a bad daily driver for bad weather areas, especially if you have a family. It has also been quite reliable. But, of course, it's a little big and bulky, and not easy to manuver/park.

The MDX, granted, is a nice vehicle, but the MDX interior doesn't have the Pilot's space efficiency because of the concessions to more aero-styling and more drop-down roofline.

Yes, but with any used BMW, I'd stick with one that is still under warranty. As BMWs age, they just get too risky.
I am not exaggerating, the interior is reminiscent of GM/Pontiac circa 1990s and MPG is average with no hybrid option and it looks absolutely horrid this generation and so bland the last generation you actually notice the Highlander. The MDX space is fine to me and the MDX is far more interesting than any Pilot.

To me, buy a van instead of a Pilot.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@mmarshall

Nice one bringing up discussion on the Tribeca.

The Subie Tribeca sells thrice more units than what Honda Phils. sells with their Pilot SUV lolz :P.

That and it's a showcase of what the Indiana factory has to offer (as the factory not produces Tribeca SUVs for North and South America.......but also for European Union and Asia-Pacific.)

Indeed, this highlights that the Subaru facility in Indiana is capable of being world-class and is ready for export to any corner of the world

Hehe given a choice: What would you choose between the two?

For 100k more, you get more 'car' with the Subie. Plus, Motor Image Pilipinas will allow you to choose between beige or black interiors for your Tribeca (absolutely free). It's no wonder there are more Tribeca than Honda Pilot in my country.

And the Pilot (at its 2.6 M peso price) is not worth it. The plastics and materials used for the interior look like cheap**** which is dismaying on a vehicle of this price. Features are weak in the Pilot as well plus it feels and looks like a sea of boredom...........

Mike made a great suggestion with the Tribeca. Also check out the new GM SUVs and the Explorer. They are dealing them and you can get a new SUV for a used price.
Old 04-05-10 | 11:27 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not exaggerating, the interior is reminiscent of GM/Pontiac circa 1990s and MPG is average with no hybrid option and it looks absolutely horrid this generation and so bland the last generation you actually notice the Highlander. The MDX space is fine to me and the MDX is far more interesting than any Pilot.

To me, buy a van instead of a Pilot.

Mike made a great suggestion with the Tribeca. Also check out the new GM SUVs and the Explorer. They are dealing them and you can get a new SUV for a used price.
I looked up the tribeca, only 4 of them within my area, and none of them were from subaru dealerships. I did think about GM/Ford but im still not sold on the reliability of them. Anything else you guys can recommend?
Old 04-05-10 | 01:21 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

We had an 03 Pilot (first model year) and it was rock solid. The only problem it had was an EGR valve that needed to be replaced. Likewise, the only non-functional issue it had was chrome peeling off the interior door latches. Otherwise, it would just need an oil change and fuel. We sold it in Dec 08 just because we don't keep cars out of warranty usually, and it was approaching the 7 year warranty end date. We were hesitant to keep it due to the 2003 MY transmission issue which some people experienced.