Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the Honda Pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10 | 07:32 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Default Thoughts on the Honda Pilot?

Well my wife's mother and my mother are coming to stay with us for a while during the summer and my camry and rx300 both only hold 5 people. with my two kids i need an SUV. The Honda Pilot seems like a good idea, but i would rather stick with a toyota. The 4runner and highlander both have optional third rows but gas mileage (?) may be an issue. I really dont want to spend more then $25k to $30k. Ideas/thoughts?
And i will be buying used.
Thanks.
Old 04-05-10 | 07:55 AM
LexFather

I would rather get mauled and get rabies from a sabertooth tiger than be seen in a pilot. Used current gem mdx if I went Honda. Otherwise the new highlander is really good or even a used GX.
Current gen used X5 is stellar!!
Old 04-05-10 | 08:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The Pilot is really about equal to the MPG you mentioned with regard to the 4Runner and Highlander. There are better options. Using my Mexican experience as an example, I knew people that had suspension issues after a while with their Pilots (and other Honda vehicles) on those nasty roads they have in Mexico City and the environs. Toyota has been building SUVs/Trucks far longer than Honda and that also factors into my equation.

Oddly enough, my gf and I are in the market for a vehicle (for her) and we are looking in earnest at used 4Runner (used GX470s were astronomically high for the mileage here in S. Florida) and if you get a decent price on a 2005+ (has more features in particular starting that year along with a more robust tranny) you're getting a tank. My gf'ed poo-pooed the Highlander for looks and even the RX (hard for me in the latter, but I can live with that).
Old 04-05-10 | 08:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would rather get mauled and get rabies from a sabertooth tiger than be seen in a pilot. Used current gem mdx if I went Honda. Otherwise the new highlander is really good or even a used GX.
Agreed.

I asked Honda Phils. a while ago and they only sell two units per month (AT BEST).

Reason why it fails here:
-it's bulky (americanized Honda does not work in local shores)
-it's old
-3.5 million pesos for this POS

They should've brought some Made-in-Japan vehicles like the ff:

The Pilot is made of so much fail that driving a funeral car is way better. .
Old 04-05-10 | 08:46 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The Pilot is a fine vehicle and when my sister was in the market 4 years ago the Pilot was head and shoulders above the Highlander in terms of space, practicality, and value. Not to mention the interior is very nice and well put together...

Not many good 5 year old CUVs out there and there's a reason why the Pilot was best seller in the class back then.
Old 04-05-10 | 08:48 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Also consider a used Odyssey minivan. Used minivans are cheaper than used CUVs for obvious image reasons, and you can easily get more for your money if you go that route.
Old 04-05-10 | 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would rather get mauled and get rabies from a sabertooth tiger than be seen in a pilot.
Come on, Mike. I know you don't like a lot of Honda/Acura products, but that's a little extreme. The Pilot is actually not a bad daily driver for bad weather areas, especially if you have a family. It has also been quite reliable. But, of course, it's a little big and bulky, and not easy to manuver/park.

Used current gem mdx if I went Honda. Otherwise the new highlander is really good or even a used GX.
The MDX, granted, is a nice vehicle, but the MDX interior doesn't have the Pilot's space efficiency because of the concessions to more aero-styling and more drop-down roofline.

Yes, but with any used BMW, I'd stick with one that is still under warranty. As BMWs age, they just get too risky.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-05-10 | 08:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

There is a long term review of the Honda Pilot in the current Car and Driver. It was reliable and gave them no problems during the 40K review and they were very impressed with how well it held up and how solid it felt and said it felt like it was brand new after 40K miles. The complaints they had were mostly of all the buttons on the center stack, v-6 not as quick as some of the competition, fuel economy so so for a heavy SUV, and it feels more truck like then car like when driving around.

If you are looking for more passenger seating and decent fuel economy why not consider a mini van? Your not going to get decent fuel economy in a SUV/CUV that has 3rd row seating/seats more then 5, they are going to be too big and heavy for good fuel economy.

The older Pilots always got good reviews and everyone I know who has owned one loved them, they are a little more car like then the current one which is more SUV like.
Old 04-05-10 | 09:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

My co-worker has a Honda Pilot. He got the previous generation (before the '09 redesign) model.

The Pilot is a bit behind the Highlander in terms of amenities (the Highlander is more plush and mom/kid friendly; has reverse camera standard), but the Pilot has more utility.

One thing to consider is that the Highlander has a 4-cylinder option, as well as a Hybrid one, so those powertrains may be more useful than a regular V6, depending on the driver's needs and driving style.
Old 04-05-10 | 09:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Well my wife's mother and my mother are coming to stay with us for a while during the summer and my camry and rx300 both only hold 5 people. with my two kids i need an SUV. The Honda Pilot seems like a good idea, but i would rather stick with a toyota. The 4runner and highlander both have optional third rows but gas mileage (?) may be an issue. I really dont want to spend more then $25k to $30k. Ideas/thoughts?
And i will be buying used.
Thanks.
Do you really need this 'ute or is it just to move more people for a few weeks while your family is there?
Old 04-05-10 | 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've got another suggestion. Check out a 1 or 2 year old Subaru Tribeca. It comes with a 3rd-row seat, has Subaru's largest H-6 3.6L engine, comes (now) with a decent-looking grille instead of the silly ones on the early models, and has what IMO is the best AWD system on the market. Tribecas have not been very popular as either new or used models, so bargains can be had. In fact, if you can spend a little more than 30K, with discounting/bargaining, you might even get a brand-new Tribeca....they start at just over 30K. The basic Tribeca design is also old enough that it has not had some of the issues found on newer Subarus.

Old 04-05-10 | 09:39 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

We had similar challenges in the past with a large family and visitors from overseas. We never did long trips with the visitors, just around town stuff. We would take two cars and let the kids fight over who got to ride with their aunt or grandma. If you see the need to take everyone for longer trips when the visitors are here (and don't have a need for the larger vehicle long term), check out local minivan rentals. Unless you're going to get something like a minivan or Suburban, most 6-7 passenger crossovers have minimal luggage (or shopping) space when all the seats are up.
Old 04-05-10 | 09:41 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Do you really need this 'ute or is it just to move more people for a few weeks while your family is there?
I asked the same thing too.
If it's temporary, I'd just rent a minivan.

If it's permanent, looking for a 3-row used SUV in that price range, I'd go for an 05 GX
Old 04-05-10 | 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I asked the same thing too.
If it's temporary, I'd just rent a minivan.
Rent a vehicle for the whole summer? That alone could run quite a few $$$$$.

If it's permanent, looking for a 3-row used SUV in that price range, I'd go for an 05 GX
The GX, yes, is durable and well-built. But it is a truck-based design (Toyota 4Runner), probably more off-road-oriented than what he needs. And, being quite high for its fairly narrow width, it has a fairly high center-of-gravity, and is somewhat tipsy and unstable, though not to the extent of many older SUVs.
Old 04-05-10 | 09:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@mmarshall

Nice one bringing up discussion on the Tribeca.

The Subie Tribeca sells thrice more units than what Honda Phils. sells with their Pilot SUV lolz :P.

That and it's a showcase of what the Indiana factory has to offer (as the factory not produces Tribeca SUVs for North and South America.......but also for European Union and Asia-Pacific.)

Indeed, this highlights that the Subaru facility in Indiana is capable of being world-class and is ready for export to any corner of the world

Hehe given a choice: What would you choose between the two?

Honda Pilot - 2,600,000 pesos

or

Subaru Tribeca - 2,698,000 pesos

For 100k more, you get more 'car' with the Subie. Plus, Motor Image Pilipinas will allow you to choose between beige or black interiors for your Tribeca (absolutely free). It's no wonder there are more Tribeca than Honda Pilot in my country.

And the Pilot (at its 2.6 M peso price) is not worth it. The plastics and materials used for the interior look like cheap**** which is dismaying on a vehicle of this price. Features are weak in the Pilot as well plus it feels and looks like a sea of boredom...........

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Honda Pilot?