Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to buy IS350 or GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 07:04 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the IS350 used. The new GS has dissapointed me big time. I have test driven 3. The 3rd gen GS is a downgrade from your 430. Seriously. Smaller trunk, smaller interior, rattles everywhere, jerky tranny, etc...
Old 04-06-10, 07:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how much larger is the rear seat room in the GS, I dont remember it being a whole lot bigger than the IS
According to Edmunds,the IS has .3" less headroom,2.3" more hip room and 5.8" less leg room.
Old 04-06-10, 07:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

45k can get you a used IS-F too
Old 04-06-10, 08:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The only reason I would pick the GS350 over the IS350 is if I definitely need more spacious back seats because I expect to have passengers there frequently ...
Old 04-06-10, 08:43 AM
trichiteo
Pit Crew

Thanks for everyone help... I drive to work about 80 miles a day, so trying to find something good on gas but yet fun to drive... I really don't need space bc I don't have kids. Only reason I would get the GS350 is for the VIP factor.. I am thinking leaning towards the IS350 for sporty and practical daily driven car..

So the interior in the IS350 is better then GS350?
Old 04-06-10, 08:45 AM
LexFather

I've driven both on the road and track and it depends on what priorities are. Can you be more specific are you looking at new or used and what price range?

The IS is sportier, more nimble with better steering and feel (no wood wheel) and a thicker steering wheel. Clearly its tidier inside but I have no issue with legroom up front. The gauges are much more sci-fi than the GS and it is much more nimble and "fun" to drive due to its lighter weight and smaller size. Trunk room is okay and rear room is pretty dismal. There is less wood inside (IS has wood as an option) and the dial for the sunroof is just silly to me. HIDs are an option.

The GS is more relaxed in responses and is tossable but you feel the extra bulk compared to the IS. There is an obvious different in room. The steering wheel has wood and the gauges are titanium in the back. The two cupholders to me are easier to use than in the IS. Acceleration is nearly as fast as the IS 350 as is MPG. The trunk is marginally bigger. Most on both have 18" wheels.

As I have gotten older I have found myself wanting an IS b/c its smaller and more nimble inside and is more fun to drive around day to day. The GS is more tuned for comfort while maintaining the near same acceleration and MPG results.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
they basically same car except the size and design...
Yeah so are the C class and E class right. Ridiculous comment.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
why exactly are you having 'a hard time' ?

asking the "which one should I buy" will not help your indecision. Half the people here like the GS, half like the IS. They are in different price brackets, and are rarely cross-shopped.

go test drive both and get a feel for them.

then make the decision yourself.
People have a hard time with many decisions. He is asking us for help, this is no place to chastise him.

Old 04-06-10, 08:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trichiteo
As posted I'm not a fan of the GS but do like the interior seating and wood wheel look a bit more than the IS.
Old 04-06-10, 08:53 AM
trichiteo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've driven both on the road and track and it depends on what priorities are. Can you be more specific are you looking at new or used and what price range?
I don't mind buying new or used... If its used it has to have low miles bc of my daily commuting.. Price range anywhere from 20-40k.. I guess with my price range used is what I am leaning towards. I want to have some cash to mod the ride.

Last edited by trichiteo; 04-06-10 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i find the interior to be better in the IS than the GS, mainly the materials used on the dash
funny, the dash material is exactly what i think makes the 2is not as classy as the 3gs (or 4ls)

how much larger is the rear seat room in the GS, I dont remember it being a whole lot bigger than the IS
although the 3gs rear room is also pretty tight, but it's quite a bit larger than 2is, which honestly, i have trouble getting myself comfortable back there

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
Is it me or the IS350 has MUCH better screen than the GS? like difference in resolution!
not at all. all 07+ gs have the same nav system as 2is. 06 was the only year (first year) for the 3gs with gen4 nav

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Get the IS350 used. The new GS has dissapointed me big time. I have test driven 3. The 3rd gen GS is a downgrade from your 430. Seriously. Smaller trunk, smaller interior, rattles everywhere, jerky tranny, etc...
agree, compared to the 2gs (putting time into perspective), the 3gs is a disappointment. me coming from 2gs and i feel that too

Thanks for everyone help... I drive to work about 80 miles a day, so trying to find something good on gas but yet fun to drive... I really don't need space bc I don't have kids. Only reason I would get the GS350 is for the VIP factor.. I am thinking leaning towards the IS350 for sporty and practical daily driven car..

as i have mention, i don't think is350 interior is better. a lot can be personal preference of course. but i work on 2is, 3gs, and 4ls cars day in day out. 4ls interior is noticeably better, but i think 3gs and 2is have their own goods and bads. some are better on this, but some are better on the other one. you should sit in them and compare for yourself

unfortunately i have to say, on all these new lexus (for example the 3 i have mentioned), i can honestly say that the quality is nothing like lexus had before say on your gs430.
Old 04-06-10, 09:05 AM
trichiteo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
unfortunately i have to say, on all these new lexus (for example the 3 i have mentioned), i can honestly say that the quality is nothing like lexus had before say on your gs430.
Thanks Rominl.

Yes, I really loved the comfort ride of my gs430.. I drove the GS350 the other day liked it but didn't loved it, so i was wanted opinion on the IS350. I think I would have to make a good investment to love the GS350.. The Lexus LS would be out of my budget... Thanks again
Old 04-06-10, 09:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Materials inside GS noticeably better than those inside the IS, IS dash material is the same as the ES's, it's cheaper and entry level stuff ...
Old 04-06-10, 09:20 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
not at all. all 07+ gs have the same nav system as 2is. 06 was the only year (first year) for the 3gs with gen4 nav
Ah okay, makes sense, I have a friend who owns a 2006.
Old 04-06-10, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks Rominl.

Yes, I really loved the comfort ride of my gs430.. I drove the GS350 the other day liked it but didn't loved it, so i was wanted opinion on the IS350. I think I would have to make a good investment to love the GS350.. The Lexus LS would be out of my budget... Thanks again
definitely drive both and see which one you like more. it's a real toss depending on what you need out of the car. when i went from my gs400 to gs350, the thing is like is the gas mileage. i don't like the quality and the fit and finish. less cabin space and trunk space is another bummer. but to me the 3gs was the choice that made sense. the 2is is way too small and the ride is also bumpier than the 3gs
Old 04-06-10, 11:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I owned an '08 GS350 AWD and after a few months I hated it.
I owned a '06 IS250 AWD and between the two would definitely opt for the IS350
Expand on why you hated the 08 GS350AWD please, the OP might find the feedback to be useful.
Old 04-06-10, 11:15 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

fwif, I dont think the IS comes with the silly moonroof dial anymore. it has the conventional buttons now

Quick Reply: What to buy IS350 or GS350?