Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to buy IS350 or GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
fwif, I dont think the IS comes with the silly moonroof dial anymore. it has the conventional buttons now
You are right, not sure when they changed it though.

Old 04-06-10, 11:29 AM
trichiteo
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
fwif, I dont think the IS comes with the silly moonroof dial anymore. it has the conventional buttons now
So the change is on the 09 and up? OR have they not change it?
Old 04-06-10, 11:39 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sicklex
you are right, not sure when they changed it though.
Old 04-06-10, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, it was changed out in the 09 facelift. good move, the dial was silly
Old 04-06-10, 12:52 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the dial
Old 04-06-10, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dial in my 07 seemed kind of goofy until I got used to it (a week or so later).

Most of the time I just use the express feature. Push it to open the sunroof, push it to close the sunroof. When used that way, it becomes the most simple sunroof button ever put in a modern car.
Old 04-06-10, 03:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hah. see what i mean. It's a biased crapshoot.

the IS crowd is a larger crowd. they will be more vocal.

so now it comes down to "eeny meeny miny moe" and you'll have to test drive the IS anyway.

they're both comparable in terms of reliability and defects. So now it's down to your own preferences.
Old 04-06-10, 04:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Style preferences, importance of back seat room, and engine choices are the main factors driving the GS versus IS decision.
Old 04-06-10, 04:19 PM
LexFather

The dial reminded me of i-drive

Old 04-06-10, 05:44 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
the dial for the sunroof is just silly to me
On the '09 and later they replaced the dial with 2 buttons. They also redid all the window & doorlock switches. They all feel much lower quality to me, but some people seem to like them.

Personally I like the dial b/c I can just give it a twist and not have to hold down a button to set it where I want... and it's still one-touch to fully open.
Old 04-06-10, 08:16 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

I like the gauges on the IS more because they are big and bright

The gauges on the GS are small and not as pretty
Old 04-06-10, 09:35 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

IS looks and handles better.

GS is a more practical car.

If I had to do it all over again I would choose the GS, but it really depends on your criteria.
Old 04-06-10, 09:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by trichiteo
Thanks for everyone help... I drive to work about 80 miles a day, so trying to find something good on gas but yet fun to drive... I really don't need space bc I don't have kids. Only reason I would get the GS350 is for the VIP factor.. I am thinking leaning towards the IS350 for sporty and practical daily driven car..

So the interior in the IS350 is better then GS350?
If you are going to have people riding in the back with any kind of regularity then I would definitely not get a IS, the rear seat is extremely cramped even for a car that size.

I like the IS350 much more then the 3rd gen GS but I would get one used, IS350s cost way too much new which is why I believe I never see them on the road where I only see IS250's. I looked at a few IS350's when gas prices were high and I wanted something a little sportier that got a little better fuel economy. I thought it drove pretty well but the steering still lacked feedback. The interior quality was decent but not as impressive as I thought it would be although I did like the soft pliable top dash material. The gauges were very nice and it was pretty quick. The rear seat was a joke and more like 2+2 sized. The ones I test drove interiors did not seem to hold up so well with alot of noticeable wear and things peeling off on a car only a 2 years old so I would look into that if you are buying used. It is still a great looking sedan in my opinion.

I am just not very impressed with the 3rd Gen GS. It does not feel as solid or as well built as the 2nd Gen and some of the materials are noticeably flimsier. The exterior looks kind of frumpy and the rear just does not look good, nowhere near as good looking and classy as the 2nd gen. They also have a bunch of issues with rattles and squeaks and it was put on the not recommended list in consumer reports. Every one I test drove had noticeable rattles and squeaks. Interior design is okay but looks plain and uninspired to me. Front headroom is pretty bad also. The way it drives is just wrong, it rides rougher then the 2nd Gen giving the "impression" of being sportier but it still lacks feedback or involvement of something sporty and is not fun to drive, the drive felt very artificial. I would rather just have the 2nd Gens softer ride over the 3rd Gen trying to feel sportier while not really being very involving or fun.

I would also check out a 3rd Gen Acura TL type S if you are looking for something that is sporty and gets decent gas mileage or a Infiniti G37 if your looking for something sporty but the gas mileage of the G37 won't be much if any better then your GS430.

If you don't have kids and will hardly ever be having someone in the rear seat I would go with a well maintained used IS350 over a GS350. It is so much better looking then the 3rd Gen GS and is more nimble with a more involving sportier ride plus the IS does not seem to have as many issues as the 3rd Gen GS.
Old 04-06-10, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Worst long post ever.

Old 04-06-10, 10:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
If you are going to have people riding in the back with any kind of regularity then I would definitely not get a IS, the rear seat is extremely cramped even for a car that size.

I like the IS350 much more then the 3rd gen GS but I would get one used, IS350s cost way too much new which is why I believe I never see them on the road where I only see IS250's. I looked at a few IS350's when gas prices were high and I wanted something a little sportier that got a little better fuel economy. I thought it drove pretty well but the steering still lacked feedback. The interior quality was decent but not as impressive as I thought it would be although I did like the soft pliable top dash material. The gauges were very nice and it was pretty quick. The rear seat was a joke and more like 2+2 sized. The ones I test drove interiors did not seem to hold up so well with alot of noticeable wear and things peeling off on a car only a 2 years old so I would look into that if you are buying used. It is still a great looking sedan in my opinion.

I am just not very impressed with the 3rd Gen GS. It does not feel as solid or as well built as the 2nd Gen and some of the materials are noticeably flimsier. The exterior looks kind of frumpy and the rear just does not look good, nowhere near as good looking and classy as the 2nd gen. They also have a bunch of issues with rattles and squeaks and it was put on the not recommended list in consumer reports. Every one I test drove had noticeable rattles and squeaks. Interior design is okay but looks plain and uninspired to me. Front headroom is pretty bad also. The way it drives is just wrong, it rides rougher then the 2nd Gen giving the "impression" of being sportier but it still lacks feedback or involvement of something sporty and is not fun to drive, the drive felt very artificial. I would rather just have the 2nd Gens softer ride over the 3rd Gen trying to feel sportier while not really being very involving or fun.

I would also check out a 3rd Gen Acura TL type S if you are looking for something that is sporty and gets decent gas mileage or a Infiniti G37 if your looking for something sporty but the gas mileage of the G37 won't be much if any better then your GS430.

If you don't have kids and will hardly ever be having someone in the rear seat I would go with a well maintained used IS350 over a GS350. It is so much better looking then the 3rd Gen GS and is more nimble with a more involving sportier ride plus the IS does not seem to have as many issues as the 3rd Gen GS.
I will add in a few things here. Yes, the IS350 is a little pricey for what it is. The GS on the other hand is just to old and dated and in need of a serious redesign soon.

The GS350 is a pretty decent car. I would stay away from the 460 or the hybrid as the prices just get too high.

Keep in mind that buying either the IS or GS you are buying a vehicle at the tail end of the design cycle.

For what its worth, the IS250 AWD is probably the best value out of them all, it makes a nice little cheap Lexus.

Quick Reply: What to buy IS350 or GS350?