Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tundra, meant to undermine U.S. trucks, has fallen short[

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 12:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Captain Mark obvious is obvious. This shares nothing new.

At least they are in the market. The Ridgeline is lame and the Titan fared far worse than the Tundra.

But please continue with posting why Toyota sucks news here. Thanks!
Agreed. I don't see how the Tundra is a failure, when the Ridgeline and Titan are doing FAR worse sales-wise.

The Tundra often sells close to the GMC Sierra and Dodge Ram, even though it lacks heavy duty models.

I guess reporting on the sales failure of the Titan and Ridgeline doesn't grab people's attention .
Old 04-07-10, 12:43 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Tundra is simply too expensive to compete with domestic trucks. Most of these are bought by companies, and they simply go for the cheapest, bare bone trucks. Also, they do not make a full size van based on the Tundra, such as Ford E-series, which counts towards Ford F-series sales, and these vans are often even more popular in commerce than pick-ups.
Och,

The E-Series Vans are reported as Econoline/Club Wagon sales and not included as part of F-Series sales.

Ford Sales Chart

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Agreed. I don't see how the Tundra is a failure, when the Ridgeline and Titan are doing FAR worse sales-wise.

The Tundra often sells close to the GMC Sierra and Dodge Ram, even though it lacks heavy duty models.

I guess reporting on the sales failure of the Titan and Ridgeline doesn't grab people's attention .
TRDFantasy,

The Tundra sells no where near Dodge Ram numbers. I would even call it a stretch to say it sells near GMC Sierra numbers. But your interpretation of near might be different from mine.

Truck Sales from full calendar year 2009 and 2008 (For Chevy, numbers include Silverado and Avalanche)
Code:
Model        2009       2008
F-Series   413,625   515,513
Chevy F/S  332,976   500,068
Ram        177,268   245,840
Sierra     111,842   168,544
Tundra      79,385   137,249
Titan       19,042    34,053
Ridgeline   16,464    33,875

Last edited by RX300-BV; 04-07-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 01:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, one look at the March sales figures shows that Tundra is outsold by the segment leaders 3 or 4 to one. Tundra sells in decent numbers but nowhere near enough to be considered an upset to the domestics. I'm sure the Tundra plant is cranking out good numbers of trucks but if the Tundra was meant to make serious inroads into the full-sized truck segment then yes, it is a failure.

As for Titan and Ridgeline, these products have been pretty much written-off long ago and there were plenty of threads and news articles which drew attention to the fact.

Last edited by speedflex; 04-07-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 01:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There were two big mistakes with the Tundra....neither of which the article really addresses. First, the 1Gen model was simply not large enough on the outside to appeal to F150/Silverado/Ram buyers. Though it had the required V8 (a 4.7L), it was actually less than full-size on the outside, and didn't have a high enough tow rating. Second, the 2Gen Tundra finally solved the long-standing size and engine problem (with the 5.7L I-Force V8), but its overall quality fell noticeably with thin sheet metal, poor-quality flimsy hardware, a cheaply-done interior, a tailgate prone to bending/warping, C-frame rails instead of fully-enclosed ones, and defects in the powertrain.

Unlike Toyota, Nissan, with the Titan, got the required size/engine correct from the start, but had serious quality-control problems in the Canton, MS plant where it was built.
My point is Toyota is getting beat up for TRYING when others won't even truly enter this battle?

It is clear Toyota really missed targets and this was been clear for 2 years now so this article is not telling us ANYTHING new.
Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Och,

The E-Series Vans are reported as Econoline/Club Wagon sales and not included as part of F-Series sales.

Ford Sales Chart

TRDFantasy,

The Tundra sells no where near Dodge Ram numbers. I would even call it a stretch to say it sells near GMC Sierra numbers. But your interpretation of near might be different from mine.

Truck Sales from full calendar year 2009 and 2008 (For Chevy, numbers include Silverado and Avalanche)
Code:
Thanks for the numbers.

So while the Tundra might not be the big player here (and it might NEVER crack the big 3) it sells twice is much as the Titan PLUS Ridgeline.

So if anything people need to give Toyota some credit for continue to try with the Tundra and not give up (Titan) or make a truck for Tele Tubbies (Ridgeline).

Of course this was going to be one long hard road. Remember the T-100

I think its a fantastic truck with some Japanese flair. I also think that the trucks from Ford/GM/Dodge are pretty damn incredible for a truck. So its not like the competition is not thick, their new trucks are very impressive inside and out.

Old 04-07-10, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My point is Toyota is getting beat up for TRYING when others won't even truly enter this battle?

Toyota's not alone. Nissan also took a lot of criticism for the Titan's quality problems, even though, unlike Toyota, they got the Titan's size/payload correct from the start.
Old 04-07-10, 03:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
TRDFantasy,

Code:
What's the point of bringing up numbers from 2008?

It's more accurate to compare recent numbers. On that note, I did say often, not always. There have been some months where the Tundra came close to the Ram in sales, but obviously not all months.

Looking at the stats, Tundra sales have been at roughly 70-80% of Sierra sales. That's not too far from Sierra sales, certainly not a huge gap if you look at the Titan and Ridgeline. Speaking of which, the Tundra has a huge gap between those models and it's sales.

Like I said, discussing the failure of the Titan and Ridgeline in sales I guess is not as big of a story as hating on the Tundra.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, one look at the March sales figures shows that Tundra is outsold by the segment leaders 3 or 4 to one. Tundra sells in decent numbers but nowhere near enough to be considered an upset to the domestics. I'm sure the Tundra plant is cranking out good numbers of trucks but if the Tundra was meant to make serious inroads into the full-sized truck segment then yes, it is a failure.

As for Titan and Ridgeline, these products have been pretty much written-off long ago and there were plenty of threads and news articles which drew attention to the fact.
The Tundra has improved it's market share in the full-size segment compared to the previous generation, HOW is that a failure?

Nobody could reasonably expect the Tundra to make serious in-roads without a heavy duty model. For years a Tundra HD model has been rumored, but obviously Toyota has yet to release one.

There have been PLENTY of articles and news coverage of the Tundra's sales in the past as well, yet the media continues to hate on the Tundra and criticize it, despite the fact the Titan and Ridgeline are far bigger failures.

The media is simply pointing out the obvious, something everyone already knows. They continue to do it over and over since they're riding on the Toyota hate bandwagon, and it's "cool" for the media to hate Toyota given the mess that happened to Toyota recently.
Old 04-07-10, 07:15 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

What's the point of bringing up numbers from 2008?

It's more accurate to compare recent numbers. On that note, I did say often, not always. There have been some months where the Tundra came close to the Ram in sales, but obviously not all months.

Looking at the stats, Tundra sales have been at roughly 70-80% of Sierra sales. That's not too far from Sierra sales, certainly not a huge gap if you look at the Titan and Ridgeline. Speaking of which, the Tundra has a huge gap between those models and it's sales.

Like I said, discussing the failure of the Titan and Ridgeline in sales I guess is not as big of a story as hating on the Tundra.
What's the point? To show you that the Tundra does not sell anywhere near the level of the Dodge Ram. It makes no sense to claim the Tundra sells at Ram levels if for only one month or two out of the year the sales are close. In that case I would say the Tundra rarely sells at Ram level. You need to look at a meaningful point of reference, and full year sales from 2009 and 2008 demonstrates that, not one off sales months here and there throughout a year.

As for the Titan and Ridgeline, those have always been sales failures. I don't think there are many here who are fans of either. The Ridgeline is just a disaster of a truck, but apparently meets the needs of Honda loyalists that need a light duty truck.
Old 04-07-10, 07:17 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

There have been PLENTY of articles and news coverage of the Tundra's sales in the past as well, yet the media continues to hate on the Tundra and criticize it, despite the fact the Titan and Ridgeline are far bigger failures.
Which has absolutely zip to do with the point at hand.
Old 04-07-10, 11:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Which has absolutely zip to do with the point at hand.
The "point at hand" is merely pointing out the very obvious, and the "point at hand" has no use or meaning.
Old 04-08-10, 05:43 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

It's interesting that Honda has nothing to do with full-size truck yet it's name get pull through the mud again. Yes Honda does not have or want to be or can afford to be in the full size truck, whatever it is we do not know. Honda does not try to be the #1 in the world, so why is the Ridgeline even in a talk about this? They are small compare to Toyota so of course they can't have everything that Toyota has.

It's like you comparing a camry/accord/altima to a civic/corrolla/focus ..
Old 04-08-10, 06:08 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, no point in bringing the Ridgeline into the full size truck conversation.
Honda will be the first to tell you that it's not meant to compete with a traditional full-sizer. The Ridgeline is its own thing and that's fine for Honda. Honda designed the Ridgeline for those wanting the most car-like "truck". That's traditional Honda.
Old 04-08-10, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Yeah, no point in bringing the Ridgeline into the full size truck conversation.
Honda will be the first to tell you that it's not meant to compete with a traditional full-sizer. The Ridgeline is its own thing and that's fine for Honda. Honda designed the Ridgeline for those wanting the most car-like "truck". That's traditional Honda.
I totally agree. I'm getting tired of hearing complaints that the Ridgeline can't compete with full-size trucks. It was never meant to. It was designed from the start as a mid-size truck.....and at least Honda admitted it. They didn't try to market it as a full-sizer as Toyota did with the T-100/150 and the early, smaller Tundras. As far as it being "car-like", don't forget that the Ridgeline also has a traditional truck frame-rail system combined with a unibody, something that no other truck on the market has.
Old 04-08-10, 07:28 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The "point at hand" is merely pointing out the very obvious, and the "point at hand" has no use or meaning.
Maybe not to you.
Old 04-08-10, 09:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we have diverted to the Ridgeline, that thing is hardly a success by any measurement, weak sales consistently.
Old 04-08-10, 09:23 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets stick with the topic of the Tundra

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra, meant to undermine U.S. trucks, has fallen short[