Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Renault-Nissan and Daimler announce alliance (next Z to be Benz powered?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 10:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
All i know is that once they went their separate ways, things improved with mercedes; reliability, build quality, etc
Indeed, they took all of Chryslers Cash

Mercedes-Benz Admits to Chrysler Merger Mistake
http://www.worldcarfans.com/10805221...merger-mistake

http://www.articlesbase.com/automoti...ed-149797.html

Billed as a "merger of equals," the $36 billion deal turned out to be anything but, analysts said. Shortly, control of the combined company fell to Daimler Chairman Schrempp.

"Eaton panicked," Lee Iacocca, said. "We were making $1 billion a quarter and had $12 billion in cash, and while he said it was a merger of equals, he sold Chrysler to Daimler-Benz, when we should have bought them." And Daimler was an all-too-willing, if uninformed, partner, analysts said. The company underrated the competitive forces that would invade the North American car market and take market share from the domestic carmakers.

"Due diligence? Daimler-Benz never did due diligence before it bought Chrysler, never looked into the future to see whether Chrysler could afford to be competitive with the others in the industry," stressed George Peterson, the president of Global Insight.

Chrysler sales slipped, prompting the German automaker to dispatch Zetsche to Detroit in 2000 to turn Chrysler around. Having returned Chrysler to profitability by the time he went back to head Daimler in 2006, Zetsche said last Monday that the sale "was a difficult task personally."
So relating it to the thread I hope Ghosn is tougher if Benz plays hardball.

Old 04-07-10, 11:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Sounds like Infiniti is going to turn into an Acura and not a BMW. So they are going to have a compact FWD electric car, a subcompact 1 series competitor (possibly RWD?), a FWD minivan, and possibly an ES/TL Maxima based competitor? All this and no flagship
Yup, it sounds like they'll become a more European version of Acura .

Instead of going upmarket, they are going downmarket.
Old 04-08-10, 05:02 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yup, it sounds like they'll become a more European version of Acura .

Instead of going upmarket, they are going downmarket.
The current situation calls for smaller motors and cars, even in the premium market. If Infiniti wants to do business in Europe then they need smaller engines and cars in order to compete effectively.

And unlike in the US, loyal Nissan or Toyota buyers don't seem to jump to an Infiniti or Lexus once they're looking for a premium car. This is another reason why Infiniti and Lexus, not Nissan or Toyota, need smaller luxury cars.
Old 04-08-10, 06:41 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Sounds like Infiniti is going to turn into an Acura and not a BMW. So they are going to have a compact FWD electric car, a subcompact 1 series competitor (possibly RWD?), a FWD minivan, and possibly an ES/TL Maxima based competitor? All this and no flagship
Wow man, it's 2010 and the game is really changing, gotta go with the time, if it was the late 90's into 00's then I could see the luxury car wars with the high horsepower but, many people are wanting luxury with full efficient engines, people want to ride to work in comfort, currently you don't need all the hp sitting in traffic

Originally Posted by bad co
MB is not involved with ChryCo anymore. ChryCo is doing away with those awful v6's, they have developed a new v6 that is said to be pretty good actualy.
We will see, I have heard about the new engine and trans they have

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
As far as I know, Daimler is only Mercedes-benz and smart. They don' have any ties with chrysler anymore thank god
Yeah but they have something going on cause the LX cars are still MB platform
Old 04-08-10, 10:25 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Infiniti G Line To Receive Four-Cylinder Mercedes-Benz Engines

Following yesterday’s announcement of a cooperation between automotive giants, Renault-Nissan and Daimler, we now have more meaty details regarding some of the specifics of the new deal. Infiniti’s most popular model line, the G range of sedans, coupes and convertibles, will eventually receive a four-cylinder engine supplied by Mercedes-Benz.

The information comes directly from Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn who said the move is part of the company’s strategy to improve fuel economy and curb emissions. The U.S. government recently confirmed that automakers will need to meet combined car and light-truck corporate average fuel economy levels of 34.1 mpg starting in 2016. No timing or specifics have been revealed but expect more details over the coming 12 months.

The most likely powerplant will be a Mercedes-Benz 1.8-liter four-cylinder gasoline turbo mill currently used in the C-Class range sold overseas. A version of this engine will likely be offered in U.S. delivered C-Class models eventually.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...s-benz-engines
Old 04-08-10, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You do realize all they did was plunder Chrysler for cash and resources and left them for dead right. Chrysler was doing great before Benz.
Consider, though, that if it had not been for the Chrysler-M/B merger, we probably would never have gotten the RWD, V8 Hemi 300/Magnum/Charger platform, or the Challenger spinoff. These are (arguably) Chrysler's most appealing products.
Old 04-08-10, 03:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
The current situation calls for smaller motors and cars, even in the premium market. If Infiniti wants to do business in Europe then they need smaller engines and cars in order to compete effectively.

And unlike in the US, loyal Nissan or Toyota buyers don't seem to jump to an Infiniti or Lexus once they're looking for a premium car. This is another reason why Infiniti and Lexus, not Nissan or Toyota, need smaller luxury cars.
Right, that's pointing out the obvious.

What is going to convince European buyers to buy an Infiniti small car? I'd really like to hear it.

Lexus is leading, doing their own thing. They are establishing dominance in luxury hybrids.

The Germans have the diesel luxury market covered.

Why would Europeans buy a diesel Infiniti over a diesel BMW, Benz, or Audi?

Lexus tried diesel luxury in the IS, and it did poorly in Europe.

Infiniti should come up with something more unique for the Euro market.
Old 04-08-10, 10:12 PM
LexFather

I was reading some forums and a couple of points that hit home were;

Infiniti has marketed themselves as being "Japanese" and shouting it more than Acura, Lexus. Now this message is confused having German engines.

Infiniti is a reliable company but adding German engines might hurt this aspect.

I don't know if Europeans want Benz's with Nissan engines and Infiniti's with Benz engines. They are a picky bunch

Old 04-08-10, 10:26 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Infiniti should come up with something more unique for the Euro market.
That is where an Infiniti spin-off of the electric-powered Leaf comes in. The article did mention that Infiniti will be bringing in electric vehicles into Europe and possibly NA. So you can't argue Infiniti's efforts to have some kind of identity (despite many, many failures in the past).
Old 04-08-10, 11:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Infiniti has marketed themselves as being "Japanese" and shouting it more than Acura, Lexus. Now this message is confused having German engines.

Infiniti is a reliable company but adding German engines might hurt this aspect.

I don't know if Europeans want Benz's with Nissan engines and Infiniti's with Benz engines. They are a picky bunch
Exactly. Plus, I think I remember Infiniti boasting about how they wanted to become the "Japanese BMW".

Well now it looks like they are going to become the European Acura, and Acura also has claimed to be the "Japanese BMW", so this is all very ironic and comical .

Originally Posted by lex-phil
That is where an Infiniti spin-off of the electric-powered Leaf comes in. The article did mention that Infiniti will be bringing in electric vehicles into Europe and possibly NA. So you can't argue Infiniti's efforts to have some kind of identity (despite many, many failures in the past).
If Infiniti comes out with electric luxury vehicles, or establishes a dominance with electric luxury vehicles, then they will deserve full credit.

However, that is a big IF, and there will be doubts and worries for their success in Europe until they do achieve something that is unique.
Old 04-11-10, 10:42 AM
LexFather

Infiniti fast tracks small diesel engines
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...iesel-engines/
By Tim Pollard in Brussels

Industry news

07 April 2010 11:07

Infiniti is fast-tracking new small diesel engines in the wake of the Daimler-Renault-Nissan partnership signed today in Brussels.

Nissan's upmarket division will take supply of Merc's smaller four-cylinder turbodiesels - at a stroke thrusting it into the heartland of the executive sector. At present, it struggles to compete with its 3.7-litre V6 petrol only range of G saloons and coupes, and large-engined SUV crossovers.
How quickly will the diesel Infinitis come?

Sooner than you might think. Negotiations behind the deal struck today started a year ago and Andy Palmer, global product chief at Nissan and Infiniti, told CAR an engine programme would typically take two years. That points to new 2.1-litre TDs in Infinitis by 2012.

The news also sounds the death knell for the Renault-Nissan 3.0-litre V6 TD, which will be available in European Infintis later this year. That engine will struggle to meet EU6 and Nissan/Infiniti is already probing a Merc substitute. In total, Infiniti is looking at three new engines sourced from Daimler, said Palmer.

'It won't necessarily be one-way traffic,' he said. 'We are about to launch a very good hybrid version of the M and Daimler are very interested in that.'

Today's strategic cooperation between the two groups means that both parties can put forward joint project ideas, but they must each be approved by all 12 members of the cooperation committee.
So can we expect mirror image ranges of Mercs, Renaults and Nissans?

Not at all. Palmer points to the distinct Renault and Nissan ranges for an example of how separate companies can work together yet retain their individual characters.

Old 04-11-10, 05:37 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I like how Infiniti is Japanese performance, I hate when the lines blur, and I want my Infiniti with a Japanese engine, engine swapping started way back in the late 60's or early 70's, my Dad always reminds me of how Cadillac owners got pissed off they had a Chevy engine under the hood, but personally I would not mind an FX63 AMG or an M63 AMG.

Now as for reliability, Infiniti engines can't be any more less reliable then MB, it's not the engine that is the problem, it's usually everything else, your electronics, your gadgets and gizmos
Old 04-11-10, 06:39 PM
LexFather

^^^^^ they will never get AMG engines. This is for small diesles that is what they get and maybe the new V6.

Only Pagani gets AMG engines.

Old 07-20-10, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Road & Track - Mercedes-Benz-Powered Nissan Z

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...wered-nissan-z

Well thats one less Japanese company around...its like a French, German gang bang going on here

When it was announced that Nissan/Renault was partnering with Daimler-Benz, we didn’t have a clue as to how close this relationship would be. We’re now hearing that it will be quite close, with the two companies planning to extensively share platforms and engines. The first reports from Japan suggested that the next-generation Infiniti G sedan and coupe, as well as future M sedans, will be built on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class platform. Then came more interesting news: how this relationship would affect the 370Z.

There are reports that the Z’s VQ V-6 may start being phased out soon (this engine was introduced in 1995, meaning it’s already 15 years old). Replacing the VQ 3.7-liter V-6 in the Z may be a trio of Mercedes-Benz powerplants.

The likely candidates are the E-Class’s V-6 diesel engine, a V-6 hybrid setup and quite possibly a V-8.
If a diesel makes its way into the Z, it will be the 3.0-liter unit from the E350 BlueTEC. This powerplant puts out 211 bhp, making it much less powerful than the gasoline engine in the current Z, but torque is rated at nearly 400 lb.-ft. The hybrid option will most likely be the 3.5-liter V-6 mated with an electric motor—the setup currently in the S400 sedan.

As for the possibility of a V-8-powered Z, we feel that it’s far-fetched at this point, but both Mercedes-Benz’s 5.5-liter and Nissan’s 5.6-liter make sense. If Nissan engineers design the next Z to accommodate one of these potent engines, then the Z will have the power-to-weight chops to take on the Chevrolet Corvette. Nissan can even toy with the idea of fitting Mercedes-Benz’s 500-plus-bhp AMG engine, creating a beast that’ll give the GT-R a run for its money.

Old 07-20-10, 11:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Suddenly everything that was not suppose to happen looks like it is on the bright side I may now be able to buy a Nissan with a sweet MB/AMG engine now to sit back and see what happens in the next 5 to 10

Quick Reply: Renault-Nissan and Daimler announce alliance (next Z to be Benz powered?)