Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CR-Z vs. rivals in AutoExpress test

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 11:23 AM
LexFather

Post Honda CR-Z vs. rivals in AutoExpress test

Verdict

The Honda CR-Z is an interesting proposition. As a signal of what is to come for new car buyers, it’s a promising statement. The trouble is, it doesn’t fully deliver.

For starters, it’s left trailing in the efficiency stakes. Great fuel economy and low CO2 emissions are meant to be one of the unique selling points of hybrid cars, and while the Honda is still reasonably green, it’s no match for its diesel rivals here. The handling is only average, too, rather than sporty as the firm claims. Lesser variants make more sense, but the CR-Z is roundly beaten in this test.

In second place is the BMW. It’s unquestionably the best driver’s car, with a balanced rear-driven chassis and the most powerful engine. Great residuals and an attractive fixed price servicing deal add to the appeal. But it’s not as tempting as the Renault.

The Mégane instantly seizes the green initiative, returning an incredible 53mpg during its time with us. Its dCi diesel also emits the least CO2 – yet this doesn’t come at the expense of pace. Plus, the Renault is fun to drive, affordable and practical. It takes the win by a healthy margin.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz0kXGRion1

1st
Renault Megane Coupé 1.5 dCi Expression
Hatch-based three-door goes back to diesel basics for maximum economy

BMW 118d Coupe
2nd BMW 118d Coupe
Distinctive two-door is the most expensive choice. Do pace and driver appeal make it worth the extra?

3rd Honda CR-Z GT 1.5 i-VTEC
Long-awaited hybrid coupé promises to blend style and efficiency. Does it deliver?

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz0kXBGdHPn

The CR-Z clearly isn’t perfect, but as a hybrid, we expected it to be efficient. Yet while the petrol-electric drivetrain incorporates stop-start, the Honda returned the poorest economy here. A figure of 39mpg trailed the Mégane by nearly 15mpg. And although CO2 emissions of 117g/km are low, the Renault is cleaner at 115g/km. The faster BMW puts out only 119g/km.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz0kXBYUoNA

Last edited by LexFather; 04-08-10 at 11:41 AM.

Old 04-08-10, 11:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't driven one myself, but this is embarrassing. Honda is getting subpar reviews for almost every new car they release. If it's not going to be fuel efficient, at least give it some power as an excuse to why it's not an mpg-king.
Old 04-08-10, 11:40 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
[

1st
Renault Megane Coupé 1.5 dCi Expression
Hatch-based three-door goes back to diesel basics for maximum economy
The Magane is a car that needs to be available in one form or another here in the states. Get on it Nissan.
Old 04-08-10, 11:49 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Do all the current diesel engines in Europe require the urea additive like here? If so, then that adds a significant operating cost.
Old 04-08-10, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BMW made a mistake not marketing the 118d in the U.S......or in 4-cylinder gas versions. The 128 and 135 are just too expensive for an entry-level BMW, and priced too close to their 3-series counterpart levels.

The CR-Z's hybrid mediocre performance/MPG, compared to its diesel rivals here, is probably no surprise. I've said for years that I thought that small diesels, in some ways, were a better setup then hybrids. And today's Bluetec/TDI/low-emission diesels are better than ever, especially those that don't require the periodic urea-refills.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 01:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

they should just scrap the hybrid aspects of the CR-Z and drop the Si motor in it
Old 04-08-10, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
they should just scrap the hybrid aspects of the CR-Z and drop the Si motor in it

I agree. The old CRX Si enthusiasts have been waiting for a new one for a long time. One of my closest friends had one.
Old 04-08-10, 01:51 PM
seanlee
Driver

compare diesel to gasoline is not very fair IMHO. they should at least tell us how it was tested. i recall reading the jetta get 60 mpg in UK but fails to 39 when it comes to U.S. different regulation require different engine tuneups. if NOx is not a concern, those diesel cars is capable of very high mpg.

all in all, i prefer a car that's cleaner (no, not CO2 emission. CO2 is not harmful. NOx is harmful). and i appreciate CA has the strictest emission control policy.

oh, CR-Z look incredible from the rear top view.
Old 04-08-10, 01:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
unfortunately nobody will see it from that angle...it will be the front of the car in their rear view mirror
Old 04-08-10, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

compare diesel to gasoline is not very fair IMHO. they should at least tell us how it was tested.
It's not a straight diesel-gas comparison, but diesel to gas-electric hybrid. Both, of course, have been touted as fuel-savers.
Old 04-08-10, 02:35 PM
LexFather

compare diesel to gasoline is not very fair IMHO. they should at least tell us how it was tested. i recall reading the jetta get 60 mpg in UK but fails to 39 when it comes to U.S. different regulation require different engine tuneups. if NOx is not a concern, those diesel cars is capable of very high mpg.

all in all, i prefer a car that's cleaner (no, not CO2 emission. CO2 is not harmful. NOx is harmful). and i appreciate CA has the strictest emission control policy.

The diesel guys can say "its not fair to compare a hybrid to a diesel". The fact is diesel or hybrid the purpose is for more MPG and in this case the CRZzzzzz fails to deliver.

To make things worse they feel its not sporty either.

So its slow, small, , not sporty, expensive with no real MPG benefits.

Honda used to do more with less. Now they do less with more.

Old 04-08-10, 03:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The diesel guys can say "its not fair to compare a hybrid to a diesel". The fact is diesel or hybrid the purpose is for more MPG and in this case the CRZzzzzz fails to deliver.

To make things worse they feel its not sporty either.

So its slow, small, , not sporty, expensive with no real MPG benefits.

Honda used to do more with less. Now they do less with more.
Total FAIL .
Old 04-09-10, 01:02 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
If someone shoehorned a K20 to fit into a Fit - pun intended, I'm sure someone can work around the IMA system and bolt a K20 into a CR-Z. You might need to do some sheetmetal work - but the CR-Z, Insight and Fit are built off the same platform.
Old 04-09-10, 02:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the CRZ is the best looking of the group. I dont think many people in this segment are based their purchase on lap times. The fuel efficiency is not what I would have expected coming from Honda and competing as a green platform. Honda needs to work a little harder
Old 04-09-10, 03:36 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

mediocre mpg? check.
weird styling? check.
not cheap? check.

i don't even need to see one in person to know that this is a huge failure. sigh..

Quick Reply: Honda CR-Z vs. rivals in AutoExpress test