Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury: Is it the car or the brand on the car?(Hyundai Equus related)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 11:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll make this analogy. Most people that cant afford a real Rolex would rather wear a cheap Timex or Omega than a Rolex knock-off. This is how many will view this car.
Old 04-16-10, 11:21 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If we ever see a Hyundai in a James Bond movie, that will be the tell tale sign the marque has arrived. But then, when was the last time a Lexus or Infiniti graced an action scene......
Old 04-16-10, 11:32 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
If we ever see a Hyundai in a James Bond movie, that will be the tell tale sign the marque has arrived. But then, when was the last time a Lexus or Infiniti graced an action scene......
Minority Report? If you're just talking about a Lexus in an action scene in general...
Old 04-16-10, 11:34 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, where did that one come from? MR, forgot about that movie. Was there even an action car scene involving that car?
Old 04-16-10, 11:41 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

LOL, where did that one come from? MR, forgot about that movie. Was there even an action car scene involving that car?
Yes quite several action scenes actually. The car was driven by the star Tom Cruise after all. Too bad it's just a concept car and not a production model though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_2054

EDIT: Just noticed from the Wiki page that the car also made appearance in another movie called The Island. Wonder if anyone here knows how the car was used there.

Last edited by Mister Two; 04-16-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 03:30 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, as mentioned, Minority Report used a concept Lexus.

Also speaking of Bond, a Toyota 2000GT appeared in the 1967 Bond movie "You Only Live Twice" .
Old 04-17-10, 04:10 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another sign that the brand has "made it" when people starting mentioning it in their rap songs. Although I think Biggie Smalls mentioned a Hyundai Excel in one of his songs, but that doesn't count!

I'm lovin' the look of the Equus Coupe. If they make that car, I'm guessing they're going after the Mercedes CL. Quite ambitious.
Old 04-17-10, 08:04 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yes, as mentioned, Minority Report used a concept Lexus.

Also speaking of Bond, a Toyota 2000GT appeared in the 1967 Bond movie "You Only Live Twice" .
One movie and not even a production Lexus. We need more than that for sex appeal.

Did Bond drive the Toyota? Not sure if an 'M' is allowed to drive an Asian car. An LFA in the next movie would be nice.
Old 04-17-10, 03:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

One movie and not even a production Lexus. We need more than that for sex appeal.

Did Bond drive the Toyota? Not sure if an 'M' is allowed to drive an Asian car. An LFA in the next movie would be nice.
Rumor has it they tried to get an LFA to appear in Quantum of Solace, but obviously that didn't work out.

Yes, it would be great to see the LFA in a major movie, specifically a Bond movie.
Old 04-17-10, 05:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'll make this analogy. Most people that cant afford a real Rolex would rather wear a cheap Timex or Omega than a Rolex knock-off. This is how many will view this car.
On a another note most americans are fixated on image and name badging.. that same fake Rolex will still tell the same time and probably last just as long.. Why can't a auto maufacturer like Hyundai get the same respect.. The Equus looks like a great car.. but like what was mentioned earlier it might not be the right time.

We all get the perception in our heads that Hyundai are cheap and POS but i think we should give them a chance.. Look how far they have come.. I meam car magazines are comparing infiniti G35's with the geneisis coupe. that has to say something..
Old 04-17-10, 06:39 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Rumor has it they tried to get an LFA to appear in Quantum of Solace, but obviously that didn't work out.
1. Quantum of Solace finished filming in mid-2008. Was there even an LF-A they could use at that time?

2. Quantum of Solace was the third movie under contract with Ford as part of a 3 picture deal.

Did you just make up this "rumor"?
Old 04-17-10, 06:53 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecr527
Another sign that the brand has "made it" when people starting mentioning it in their rap songs. Although I think Biggie Smalls mentioned a Hyundai Excel in one of his songs, but that doesn't count!

I'm lovin' the look of the Equus Coupe. If they make that car, I'm guessing they're going after the Mercedes CL. Quite ambitious.
That surely means Lexus has made it; Jay Z name drops Lexus all the time, especially in that "Empire State of Mind" song that played over and over on the radios
Old 04-18-10, 02:24 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
1. Quantum of Solace finished filming in mid-2008. Was there even an LF-A they could use at that time?

2. Quantum of Solace was the third movie under contract with Ford as part of a 3 picture deal.

Did you just make up this "rumor"?
No I did not "make up" this rumor . Great job though making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

This rumor was out there years ago on various enthusiast sites, and I never said it was accurate or valid, but simply that it was a rumor.
Old 04-18-10, 03:54 AM
madoka
Pole Position

No I did not "make up" this rumor . Great job though making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

This rumor was out there years ago on various enthusiast sites, and I never said it was accurate or valid, but simply that it was a rumor.
Great job acting indigant. I believe that is your m.o. whenever you get called on things, no? Now how about instead of avoiding the issue, you prove that you didn't just make it up. If it was on various sites, show links to ANY of them.

This "rumor" makes NO SENSE and sounds completely made up.

1. Filming stopped in mid-2008. The final version LF-A was introduced in October 2009. It's unlikely there was even a car ready to film.

2. Ford had a three movie product placement deal. That's why only Aston Martins were heavily featured in the Bond films starting with Die Another Day since Ford owned AM at the time. Obviously the film studio would never negotiate with Lexus when there was already an exclusive contract in place with Ford for several years (since 2001) already for the movie. Since the LF-A concept premiered in 2005 which was four years after Ford's contract was already signed, why would anyone at the time try to start such a lame rumor?
Old 04-18-10, 04:25 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
Great job acting indigant. I believe that is your m.o. whenever you get called on things, no? Now how about instead of avoiding the issue, you prove that you didn't just make it up. If it was on various sites, show links to ANY of them.

This "rumor" makes NO SENSE and sounds completely made up.

1. Filming stopped in mid-2008. The final version LF-A was introduced in October 2009. It's unlikely there was even a car ready to film.

2. Ford had a three movie product placement deal. That's why only Aston Martins were heavily featured in the Bond films starting with Die Another Day since Ford owned AM at the time. Obviously the film studio would never negotiate with Lexus when there was already an exclusive contract in place with Ford for several years (since 2001) already for the movie. Since the LF-A concept premiered in 2005 which was four years after Ford's contract was already signed, why would anyone at the time try to start such a lame rumor?
Actually, I recall years ago this same rumor... I have/had no idea that Ford has a contract with them for it... It was just something I had read on one of the many forums I subscribe to... As far as a link to where I read it, sorry... two - three years ago is a while to try and find that... As a note, they use concept cars in many movies, when the vehicle doesn't even run with its intended gear...

edit: it would appear this rumor has been circulating for some time and it has hit this board for sure a while ago, from a completely different poster: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...vie-debut.html read the second post... So, now, thats three CL'ers that have heard of this rumor for sure... Why don't you give a guy a break!

Last edited by mitsuguy; 04-18-10 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Luxury: Is it the car or the brand on the car?(Hyundai Equus related)