Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi recorded its best-ever global sales in 2010’s first quarter

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Post Audi recorded its best-ever global sales in 2010’s first quarter

Audi recorded its best-ever global sales in 2010’s first quarter, surpassing Mercedes for the first time in the process.

The German firm sold 264,100 units worldwide between January and March; Mercedes sold 248,500 units.

Audi’s sales success is largely being put down to its performance in China, a market that accounted for almost one if five of all its cars sold globally. In China, Audi outsells Mercedes two to one.

Audi wants to surpass both BMW and Mercedes by 2015 and become the world’s leading luxury carmaker with annual sales of 1.5 million units. Its sales will be given a further boost later this year with the launch of the A1 supermini.

BMW is expected to post its results for the first quarter later this month
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248749/

Old 04-09-10, 03:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Im loving the new Audis'!
Old 04-09-10, 05:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did that fake runaway car report back in the 1980's really destroy audi in america?

or is it because audi's are the most expensive unaffordable german cars in america?

cuz usa sales are not even on par with the rest of the world.
Old 04-09-10, 06:29 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Im loving the new Audis'!
+1

I think Audi currently has a great line up of cars.

One thing about buying an Audi in my experience is that there is not as much room between MSRP and purchase price as there is with say a Lexus for example. It kinda hard for me at least to feel I got a 'deal' when I only got 2K off the the sticker and that could be hurting sales in the US although clearly its not impacting sales in China where perhaps that have a different pricing although I'm not sure.

Notwithstanding that I did buy an Audi, my previous car before my Lexus, and think I will most definitely buy another again in the future as I find them to be good looking cars that have very nice interiors and drive fantastic.
Old 04-10-10, 07:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
+1

I think Audi currently has a great line up of cars.

One thing about buying an Audi in my experience is that there is not as much room between MSRP and purchase price as there is with say a Lexus for example. It kinda hard for me at least to feel I got a 'deal' when I only got 2K off the the sticker and that could be hurting sales in the US although clearly its not impacting sales in China where perhaps that have a different pricing although I'm not sure.

Notwithstanding that I did buy an Audi, my previous car before my Lexus, and think I will most definitely buy another again in the future as I find them to be good looking cars that have very nice interiors and drive fantastic.
RS5 is coming... if the TT-RS makes it to America...
Old 04-10-10, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had lunch with a family friend that owns a A5, he loves it. His only complaint was the back seat access.
Old 04-10-10, 10:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I just had lunch with a family friend that owns a A5, he loves it. His only complaint was the back seat access.
The simplest solution to that problem, of course, is the A4.
Old 04-10-10, 10:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Audi really wants to keep (or increase) its appeal, IMO, they need to stop taking the DSG (S-Tronic in Audi-speak) out of their U.S.-market cars.....and also make it more available on their Quattro AWD models. The S-Tronic is truly a superb gear box, yet Audi seems determined to replace it in the American-market cars with the regular, torque-converter Tiptrinoic. There's nothing really wrong with the Tiptronic, but it's just not as lightning-quick or efficient as the S-Tronic. Audi's excuse is that the twin-clutch S-Tronic is too complex, trouble-prone, and difficult to repair. Yet, VW is keeping it on several of heir U.S.-market models, and Audi is still offering it on its Euro-market cars. Go figure.
Old 04-11-10, 02:14 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Or the A5 Sportback:

Old 04-11-10, 02:19 AM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

If Audi really wants to keep (or increase) its appeal, IMO, they need to stop taking the DSG (S-Tronic in Audi-speak) out of their U.S.-market cars.....and also make it more available on their Quattro AWD models. The S-Tronic is truly a superb gear box, yet Audi seems determined to replace it in the American-market cars with the regular, torque-converter Tiptrinoic. There\'s nothing really wrong with the Tiptronic, but it\'s just not as lightning-quick or efficient as the S-Tronic. Audi\'s excuse is that the twin-clutch S-Tronic is too complex, trouble-prone, and difficult to repair. Yet, VW is keeping it on several of heir U.S.-market models, and Audi is still offering it on its Euro-market cars. Go figure.
One gear box change is not going to do much for sales. Right now Audi does not design anything strictly for the US market. Unlike Lexus which gets most of its sales from the RX and ES, Audi is spread out across the range and Audi really appeals to those who want something distinctly Audi.

A direct for the USA only aka ES350 type design is a start.
Old 04-11-10, 03:53 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Audi A6, in black, with tints, is the default car for government officials and big time honchos in China.
Old 04-11-10, 05:52 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikez
The Audi A6, in black, with tints, is the default car for government officials and big time honchos in China.
And The Transporter!!!

-transporter.jpg
Old 04-11-10, 10:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not an acceptable solution for those with a strong sense for style, no comparison. He would gladly take a IS350 over an A4 because of the additional power/quality/reliabilty (this was discussed with him in detail). But the beautiful style of the A5 coupe has no direct competition. This guy does enjoy (and has a history of owning) premium cars.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-11-10 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-11-10, 05:16 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
And The Transporter!!!

Attachment 170675
Sorry, that was a black A8L W12 in the Transporter movies.
Old 04-12-10, 07:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by theanimala
Sorry, that was a black A8L W12 in the Transporter movies.
Yeah, I know... I just like the 6 better ... and LOVE the marque!!!

Quick Reply: Audi recorded its best-ever global sales in 2010’s first quarter