Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sharing platforms.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 12:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sharing platforms.

Do you think platform sharing cheapens a car or line of cars. What if the LS shared a stretched platform with say avalon or camry, do you think it would still be prestigest. Opinions anyone?
Old 04-09-10, 12:39 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Do you think platform sharing cheapens a car or line of cars.
No, not at all.
Old 04-09-10, 12:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Do you think platform sharing cheapens a car or line of cars. What if the LS shared a stretched platform with say avalon or camry, do you think it would still be prestigest. Opinions anyone?
1. No.

2. Poor unrealistic example given (a rwd LS based on fwd Avalon/Camry). Of course that would make for a crappy LS, that's why it's not being done.
Old 04-09-10, 02:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think with the massive losses that the auto industry has sustained we will be seeing more and more platform sharing
Old 04-09-10, 03:41 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
1. No.

2. Poor unrealistic example given (a rwd LS based on fwd Avalon/Camry). Of course that would make for a crappy LS, that's why it's not being done.
Ok then what toyota did have a large rear drive sedan and they based the LS on that platform. Would you then feel that it would cheapen the LS any. From what i seen only the US base there flagships on lesser models. Mayve you can say by doing that it saves money but it also adds a "oh its just a xxx" to the cars imo. I8ABMR maybe right giving the sign of the times plus with a little more styling differentiation a 2016 LS based on a large rear drive Scion might work!! LMAO
Old 04-09-10, 03:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ rightohh, what-if Lexus was owned by GM.........., NA.

Platform sharing can be done intelligently and effectively as proven by some of the best auto companies.
Old 04-09-10, 08:27 PM
LexFather

Well the 7 series and 5 series now share platforms. Hasn't really bugged me.
The Phaeton shares platforms with Bentley. Nice move.
The IS is based off the GS platform. Works well.
The Fuga/M37 etc is FM based. Doesn't bug me as much anymore.

Old 04-09-10, 11:07 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they make a good car out of sharing a platform, then it is fine by me
Old 04-10-10, 02:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If they make a good car out of sharing a platform, then it is fine by me
Exactly, some of the best cars are based on shared platforms. And how closely they resemble the original car varies considerably. Many are rather loosely derived from the original car.
Old 04-10-10, 04:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For prestige reasons, it helps IMO that the LS is on its own platform, not say Avalon on stretched Camry platform. For the smaller models, say IS on GS platform, that seems fine, especially as both models are targeting a similar focus of sporty luxury. Say the 7 were said to be on a stretched 5 platform would seem a bit less prestigious, but it seems that the 5 may be on a shrunken 7 platform...(in the end it gets to parsing words).
Old 04-10-10, 04:26 PM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't really bother me if they shared platforms as long as they do it right.

Nobody seems to care of complain that the LX and LC share platforms nor does anyone ever mention the link between the FJ, 4runner and GX460
Old 04-11-10, 07:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares if it gets the job done. Too many people are willing to buy the piece of crap because of its prestige and name brand vs something else that doesn't have the name brand recognition. Too me that is stupid. If the over all final product is good, it is good. If it works, it works. If today's LS460 was all the car it is today, but built off a stretched Camry platform I'd still buy it because of how the car performs. If people aren't willing to buy that same car just because.....they are stupid. But, like I always said, it's not my money so people can choose to buy or not buy whatever they want. It's all just my opinion.
Old 04-12-10, 09:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My opinion is Lexus as a first-rate premium manufacturer would not make a LS out of a common Camry FWD stretched chassis, the discussion is pretty much pointless.

But I agree platform sharing is not a problem, every car must stand on its own merits.
Old 04-12-10, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree that the platform itself is not as important as the individual vehicle's merits. And, one has to consider that it it were not for platform-sharing, many new vehicles would (likely) cost substantially more than they do now, simply for the automakers to recoup the extra expense in research and development.

But that still doesn't excuse the (often) needlessly cheap, cost-cutting short cuts that I often see in new vehicles, including, unfortunately, one of my favorite manufacturers...Subaru, as well as others. A perfect example.....one I saw just the other day when I reviewed the 2011 Honda Pilot, was the manual hood prop-rod and no underhood insulation in a potentially 40K+ vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 06:35 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Platform sharing seems common nowadays especially with GM? Escalade-Yukon-and Tahoe are the same platform and the escalade esv-yukon xl-suburban share platforms. its more annoying with GM vehicles because they look so much alike.

Quick Reply: Sharing platforms.