Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus, Infiniti reportedly not interested in taking on BMW's 5 Series Gran Turismo

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10 | 03:10 PM
LexFather

Post Lexus, Infiniti reportedly not interested in taking on BMW's 5 Series Gran Turismo

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/09/l...g-on-bmws-5-s/

Depending on who you ask, BMW is either at the forefront of an exciting new automotive genre with the 5 Series Gran Turismo, or is inventing market segments with no real purpose other than to grab several thousand new sales from those who simply must be seen in the latest trendy niche. In other words, the 5 Series GT is nothing if not polarizing.

For now, it seems that you can put such luxury brands Lexus and Infiniti in the latter camp, though fellow upmarket Japanese automaker Acura is headed down a similar path as its German counterpart with the new ZDX – at least with regard to the X6. Speaking to Auto Observer at the New York Auto Show, Ben Poore, Nissan North America's vice president of the Infiniti business unit, said, "What [we are] seeing is a much stronger preference (among consumers) for a trunk."

Granted, some may see little difference between such vehicles as the 5 Series GT and Infiniti's own EX and FX crossovers,
but Poore suggests the machines aren't direct competitors. "I'd rather be on (either) the crossover styling or the trunk styling," he said. Dave Nordstrom, Lexus' vice president of marketing, concurs, saying, "We don't have any plans for it right now. We have not seen the demand from our customers – but we continue to look at it."

As for us? Well, you can read all about our initial impressions of the 5 Series GT by looking back at our First Drive. Suffice it to say, our own office is split on the effectiveness of this new giant hatchback trend just like everyone else.
Old 04-09-10 | 03:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

...and they never will be.
Old 04-09-10 | 03:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good idea, since practically nobody is interested in buying it.
Old 04-09-10 | 04:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Its ugly.

But how bout an IS wagon?
Old 04-09-10 | 04:22 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

amen. I swear if only......
Old 04-09-10 | 04:28 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Well, I think BMW can afford to do these experiments / mistakes, Lexus and Infiniti cannot.
Old 04-09-10 | 04:56 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

In Germany certain car enthusiasts are saying that BMW "had" to produce the 5er GT because BMW just can't seem to do wagons right.

In terms of space, comfort and payload capacity the equivalent wagons from Audi and Mercedes just kill their BMW rivals in virtually every review. Ask your average German and they seem to have a low opinion of BMW wagons compared to their rivals from Audi or Mercedes.

On the other hand, the 5er GT, aesthetically provocative as it may be, seems to be the "wagon" BMW has always needed in terms of space and comfort without sacrificing the BMW philosophy of sporty handling.

I suppose I am one of the few who does like the 5er GT from a design point of view. It's not mega pretty, but at the same time I don't find it ugly either.
Old 04-09-10 | 04:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

thank god. lexus does not need this niche car

lexus has enough ugly clunky vehicles as it is.
Old 04-09-10 | 05:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good idea, since practically nobody is interested in buying it.
I see 5GTs around Vancouver, not lots but more than I expected.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Its ugly.

I think wagons are somewhat similar to Bimmers GT's (there's going to be a 3GT)

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Well, I think BMW can afford to do these experiments / mistakes, Lexus and Infiniti cannot.
Infiniti certainly can't, the EX didn't seem to work out well for them at all even though there was nothing really wrong with it; Lexus maybe able to afford such mistakes but the company is far too conservative to try things that people may or may not like.
Old 04-10-10 | 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you can get past the awkward rear end and the high price, this car is a blast to drive. All the usual BMW roadability/handling/braking excellence, plus enough torque to pull out a tree stump.
Old 04-10-10 | 12:40 PM
RXSF

BMW already has dozens of models with dozens of configurations. They have the r&d to make monstrosities like the 5GT. there is basically nothing left for them to make. Lexus on the other hand can still make coupes, wagons, and better looking convertibles
Old 04-10-10 | 01:20 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Thank goodness. No sense trying to play a sport that no one is really interested in.

Lexus had a wagon with the first gen IS. Was known as the Sportcross. It was discontinued due to low sales.

This one, below, would probably be a good update (if Lexus ever decides to build it and see a need for a wagon). The following images are PHOTOSHOPPED,,,

credit for above found here,,,,http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=1363
Old 04-10-10 | 02:15 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by trukn1
Thank goodness. No sense trying to play a sport that no one is really interested in.

Lexus had a wagon with the first gen IS. Was known as the Sportcross. It was discontinued due to low sales.

This one, below, would probably be a good update (if Lexus ever decides to build it and see a need for a wagon). The following images are PHOTOSHOPPED,,,

credit for above found here,,,,http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=1363
HS250h wagon looks like an Avensis wagon.

I would like to see a wagon version, I just wonder how much it would eat into the RX. For me the RX is like a wagon, but just slightly more off the ground.
Old 04-10-10 | 02:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

No surprise.......only a clown would buy a Gran turismo ( I can't even believe they actually called the "Gran Turismo". It looks more like something that the Griswalds would take on their family vacation. Not interested.
Old 04-10-10 | 02:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I love the look of HS wagon!

Quick Reply: Lexus, Infiniti reportedly not interested in taking on BMW's 5 Series Gran Turismo