Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DCH Lexus of Ox-crap (Oxnard) Full Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 10:33 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy DCH Lexus of Ox-crap (Oxnard) Full Story

Ok, kinda a long story, so bare with me.

I have an IS350, which I purchased new. No huge/major problems. Did the fuel rail recall. Had my all weather mats replaced.

I've had this one annoying *** dash rattle since day one. But I got used to it.

Anytime I did a service at a Lexus dealership, I took it to DCH Oxnard, just because they're the closest. At around 25k miles, I randomly started to get the vibration/rattle noise at start up. I mentioned it to DCH, on my next service and was told "We're unable to duplicate the noise." The noise goes away for abit, then comes back, goes away, then comes back. I mention it again and again told "Unable to duplicate it"

As of late, it's been doing it more frequently. I hop on CL and see there is a service bulletin for this exact issue. I call up and make an appointment for oil change, front brakes with the pads thad don't create as much dust, the rattle, and also for a piece of trim they forgot to put back somewhere when they installed an iPod cable.

I show up get a loaner and leave. I get called a few hours later saying the rear brakes are fine, just need front. Also that they were able to reproduce the sound on start up, but since I was out of warranty, I'd have to pay for the full service (I had 71000 miles). I explain I had brought up the same problem before and Lexus knew of the problem (hence the TSB) and expressed I didn't feel I should have to pay anything. I'm told they have no record of me bringing the problem up. I explained I maintain all of my receipts and would be willing to bring them in which shows I had, and the service rep was able to find their records where I brought it up .

I'm told the service manage will have to approve the the warranty work, but he won't be in until Monday (It's Sat) and they would keep my car. I said that was fine, but if they kept my car, I'd be unable to return to drop off the loaner and pick my car up until Friday/Saturday. I'm told not to worry about it and it'd be fine.

Monday: Get a call saying the manager would be calling Lexus Corp. to approve the fix.

Tuesday: Get another call and I'm told they're still waiting to hear back from Lexus. I drop by to retrieve some items, spot an Is-F and talk briefly about a trade in. Don't get to really negotiate as I was on a quick break.

Wednesday: Get a call. Lexus Corp. denied the repair. But as a "good well gesture" they would pay for some of the service if I paid for three hours of labor ($360) . I say no way! I ask who they spoke with at Lexus and ask for a number. It takes awhile for me to get the info from them and I tell them I'm going to call the rep at Lexus and I'd call them back. I call the number and the voice mail greeting answers right away with "Hi You've reached blah blah/ I'm on Vacation until April 12th...."

I call DCH back ask to speak with service manager and verified they had talk to said rep @ Lexus via telephone and was told yes. Get transferred to manager and this is about the only place I became really upset. They manager was dry, cold, and just not very nice. I explained my situation to which he cut me off and said "I'm aware of your situation and we agreed to work with you if you pay the 3 hours of labor." I explain why i don't think I should pay and say it's kind of suspicious they were able to reproduce the sound once I was out of warranty. He says something along the lines of "That's an evil statement as we pride ourselves in customer service..." I ask if he was the one who spoke with Lexus and was told yes. I told him I called the number and the person was on vacation and inquired how he spoke with that person. He said he was emailed the decision. Our conversation ends and I'm given the general 800 number for Lexus Corp.

I turned off my phone as I had to for work and when I turned it back on a few hours later, the service rep left me a message. He stated the service manager told him to tell me to return the loaner immediately as it was already reserved for someone else . I call back and get his voicemail and explain I was unable to bring the car back until late Friday or Saturday like I had said on day one. If it was an issue, for him to call me.

I get a call today and I'm asked if I'm going to come in, I say yes, after work. I arrive and go to the teller. Two ladies, one older and a younger one. The younger one tells me the total and asks for payment. I ask if I can see the invoice and look over it. I ask if they can tell me which brake pads were used as I knew their were two different kinds. She looks at it and the older lady, with her back turned, says we can't tell you that you'll need to ask the service rep. Well one happens to walk by and he takes a look at my invoice. I asks which pads were used and I'm told they used the regular stock pads and not the pads that help with the brake dust. I tell him I had asked for the second pads and he calls for the service rep who helped me and walks away.

The older lady, still with her back turned, asks If I had informed the rep which pads I wanted when I got there. I told her I did when I made the appointment. She tells me I should have told the service rep when i got there what exactly I wanted. I told her I did when I called and inquired if they don't take notes of what a customer is requesting. She says they "should" and I say well? How is it my fault. The original rep comes and says he's going to go ask the mechanic. While waiting this older lady maintains a conversation with me and again tells me I should tell the service rep what exactly I wanted done. I tell her, again, I did. It's not my fault notation weren't made. She goes on a bit more. I asked the younger woman if she'd like to make a wager? She looked at me and I said I'll bet you when the service rep comes back he's going to say, 'Oh yeah those are the right pads we put it." Even thought I had already been told they weren't. Sure as ****, the rep comes back and I practically quoted him verbatim and the young lady and I chuckle as I say see I told you! I called another Lexus dealership while I was standing there and asked for a price quote on the 2 different pads. I was told same price for both (DCH told me the alternate pads were more expensive). I ask for the part numbers and I'm told the stock pads are #04465-30410 and the alternative ones are #04465-30400. My invoice indicates #30410 meaning it's the stock pads.

So this experience and poor customer service was ultimately the deciding factor on me trading in my 350 for the IS-F. No way was I about to give this dealership that much of my money.

Any recommendations on my next course of action? I'm waiting for a call back from Lexus. It's just frustrating. In a time when Toyota/Lexus should be working overtime to provide great customer service, I get treated like dirt.

Their service department basically cost the dealership $50,000 because they wouldn't cover $360.

The one thing they constantly brought up was the fact I hadn't taken my car in regularly for service. I explained I live 1 hour and 45 minutes away and to take my car in for an overpriced oil change was insane. Why drive that far when there's a Toyota dealership 20 minutes away?

Thanks for letting me rant. The cherry on top was when I drove my car out of the dealership an ad for DCH Lexus came on the radio. It was the GM raving about how great their customer service is!
Old 04-09-10, 10:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that really sucks. Keep pesting Lexus corp and they should set things straight since customer service is (or should be) there number one priority.

subscribed.
Old 04-09-10, 11:05 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wait.... these guys give you bad service and you buy an IS-F from them? lol...
Old 04-10-10, 12:13 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i think he bought it from somewhere else...though it wasnt 100% clear. lol
Old 04-10-10, 04:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a local DCH dealer charged my dad once for replacement parts AND labor for something they didn't actually put in.

and then tried to tell him that the part was indeed replaced--until my dad brought in the clearly dirty and old filter (it was a cabin air filter), and then they denied any wrongdoing and even denied a refund the first time around and offered "dealer credit."

Of course the car had gone in for an unrelated TSB.
Old 04-10-10, 05:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

DCH autogroup has about 40 dealerships in 4 states.
Lexus,Acura,BMW,Audi,Honda,Toyota,Dodge and Nissan.
I went to DCH looking for a '08 Civic for my son from DCH Honda and was there with a friend interested in buying an Accord this week.
Very busy Paramus,NJ dealership with 32 sales people.Can't speak of their service dept.Never had any work done there.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-10-10 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-10-10, 11:23 AM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clarify, I did NOT buy an IS-F from them. When I initially brought in my car for service, prior to all this drama, I briefly talked numbers with a sales rep on trading in my car for the F. I went and got pre-qualified with my union bank and was planning on sitting down and negotiating for the F. But after being treated like crap, I decided I'd keep my money and NOT give the dealership my business. Clear as mud?
Old 04-11-10, 03:51 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look the Sewell website, the dustless pads are 2x as much as the regular pads.